Arm exercise

Options
I need workout ideas to lose the fat in my upper arms. It is unportionately much larger than my lower arms. Any ideas?

Replies

• db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I do a combination of bicycling (45+ minutes a day), walking, lacrosse 2*90 minutes a week), house cleaning, basic weight lifting, and dancing on the weekend. I've only got around 3 mm of arm fat, so I guess it works.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Unfortunately, your body picks where the fat comes off from and when. Eat at a deficit. Do some cardio you like. Make sure to incorporate strength/resistance training as well, full body, to hand on to hang on to muscle as you lose weight.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and be patient. You cannot spot reduce.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, you cannot spot reduce. Stick with it, maybe incorporate some weight training to build muscle, and HIIT to speed up fat loss. You'll get there! :) Consistency is the key!
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The only evidence ever found for spot reduction is spurious and extreme. If you want to try arm cycling for 4-6 hours a day, every day, for 16 weeks, you may be able to spot reduce your arms by 0.05-0.2 of an inch, depending on how much fat is actually stored there vs lean body mass.

I suggest, as has already been said, stay in a deficit, do resistance training, and stay focused and patient. Remember the bucket analogy. Fat is like a tub of water. Losing it, is dipping a bucket in and taking some water out. Where this shows up first is genetically determined. Keep at it, you will get there.
  • trixiex
    trixiex Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Own body weight exercises are cheap and easy and will help tone your arm muscles - tricep dips using a chair or coffee table, push-ups (starting on your knees cos they're tough!), hold a plank for 20 seconds, three times in a row. You can't choose where to lose weight from but by toning up your arms you should be able to make them firmer and they will look awesome as you lose weight too :)
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You can't spot reduce. Continue eating in a calorie deficit and the fat will come off from everywhere.
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, your body picks where the fat comes off from and when. Eat at a deficit. Do some cardio you like. Make sure to incorporate strength/resistance training as well, full body, to hand on to hang on to muscle as you lose weight.

Not sure I agree with this 100%, though I do agree that eventually the fat will recede from every part of your body.
    Massage and exercise of the problem area has certainly helped me reduce in those those hard to shift places.
    For me it's the tummy. I use a proprietary soap massage pad when I shower, and gently massage the area twenty times in a circular motion. You can just use your fingers as well.
    Massaging in any body cream once you are dry will help keep the skin supple.
    Incidentally a self massage is a bit of an exercise in itself. I've noticed it turns up on my tracker!
    Exercise will tone the muscles. Don't over exercise though - you don't need the Mr Universe look, that might make your arms seem fatter.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    You can't spot reduce. Continue eating in a calorie deficit and the fat will come off from everywhere.

Not sure I agree with this 100%, though I do agree that eventually the fat will recede from every part of your body.
    Massage and exercise of the problem area has certainly helped me reduce in those those hard to shift places.
    For me it's the tummy. I use a proprietary soap massage pad when I shower, and gently massage the area twenty times in a circular motion. You can just use your fingers as well.
    Incidentally a self massage is a bit of an exercise in itself. I've noticed it turns up on my tracker!
    Exercise will tone the muscles. Don't over exercise though - you don't need the Mr Universe look, that might make your arms seem fatter.

Uh.. so much wrong here! TO is a woman. it's unlikely she will build any muscles at all in a deficit. And even at a surplus it's unlikely she will build much muscles without daily proper training and taking steroids.

And what do you think physically happens when you massage a body part? Does the fat bubble burst and the fat is then absorbed into the blood stream and transported off? Sorry, it doesn't work like that.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

NO JUST NO! SO much WRONG here... Stop.
  • virginislander2
    virginislander2 Posts: 28 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I will start with the deficit.
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Oh man, how I wished we could spot lose lol

That would be marvelous :p
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Please ignore this. It is awful advice. If one you could spot reduce fat with massage, why isn't everyone in their ideal shape?