New here & in the 40+ crowd

Options
Hi everyone! I've been using My Fitness Pal for several weeks, although not consistently; but just discovered the Forums only yesterday.

I'm 47, and have battled eating and exercise my entire life, probably due to low self-esteem (lack of emotional support). I always hated exercise, until I turned 45 and started karate. That gave me the self-confidence that I can actually do this. After moving in April, I also started taking yoga classes, which greatly helps reduce my stress level. I'm determined to lose weight for good this time, and get in the HABIT of eating healthy & exercising, so I will be able to maintain a healthy lifestyle. So far, so good. As of Monday, I officially do not have high blood pressure any more. I was on bp meds for about 7 years, due to weight gain. Now working on cholesterol, and see my dr. again in September.

I'm looking for friends on here, so we can help motivate each other to a new, skinnier us. Feel free to add me, and see you soon!

Replies

• striderb
    striderb Posts: 5,843 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck. This is a great site to receive support.
  • dawnstl
    dawnstl Posts: 91
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Feel free to add me as a friend! Here's to better eating and exercise.

Dawn
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am 42 and in karate as well, for the last three years. I am down a total of 62 lbs since January with 30 to go. Testing for my black belt in nine months and training for that. :smile:
  • callmefor911
    callmefor911 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    welcome this is a great site .. good luck to u..
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome from a fellow 40-something. Sent you a friend request :flowerforyou:
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome to MFP! I'm 40 something and been here for almost a year now and loving it. Feel free to add me as a friend! :smile:
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    Hello new MFP member. Best of luck to you and hoping for a great MD visit in Sept so you can reduce the meds. Best of luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • lre224
    lre224 Posts: 83
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support! I'm looking forward to being here.

@ Scarlett_S - good luck with your black belt!!! Have confidence that if you're not ready and able to pass, your instructor won't let you test yet. What style are you studying? I'm studying Tang Soo Do, which is Korean & similar to Tae Kwan Do. I just tested for Red belt several weeks ago, which is the level right under black in my studio. I know I unofficially passed, although I don't have the belt yet. We don't have a timeline for Black belt testing yet...will have to wait & see what the instructor says. ...And CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss!
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much. I study Shotokan Karate. An American style based on traditional Shotokan with some military influences as far as self defense. I started out in 2008 as a white belt, went up through the ranks and tested for brown belt last summer. Decided in January that if I wanted to be a black belt I really needed to drop the weight and not limit myself physically, so I've been all about that all in 2011. I put myself up for black belt candidacy in May and I had to pass a few tests, including a timed run, and do a lot of paperwork, then do an interview, then be voted on by all the black belts. Found out I made it in June 10th, so this whole year is about training, training, training, and jumping through hoops to get there. Testing is in March, belts are awarded in May if you make it through the test.

Good luck to you as well!! I am the last person in the world I would have ever thought would be involved in anything like this, but its addicting somehow.
  • PandaFit450
    PandaFit450 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Congrats on achieving so much already. MFP is the right place to get support & motivation. Request sent.

:flowerforyou:
  • lre224
    Options
    LOL - Believe me, I'm in that very same boat with you! I've always HATED exercise, with a passion; though in thinking back, a lot of that simply came from having NO self-confidence. I've spent much of my life without any emotional support, which certainly doesn't help. I NEVER expected to see myself doing something like karate, much less think that I have the ability to become black belt level! I found out that I do really like it though and can do it; and that has given me a lot of confidence. It also paved the road for my to start liking exercise and have the motivation to do it on a regular basis. My goal is to spend the second half of my life much happier than the first half, and lead a healthy lifestyle.
  • antonio823
    antonio823 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, I wish you much success!
  • lre224
    Options
    thanks
  • tgpetty
    tgpetty Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and new to the site. Trying to lose 30 lbs. Would love to talk with people and motivate one another.
  • skystew2003
    Options
    Welcome and good luck on your weight loss. I do love MFP, I get both knowledge and motivation from this site.
    Feel free to add me, we both can motivate each other.
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm the same age!! Friend me if you like!

L.