Exercise/working out scares me to death!!

Options
kymberkaye
kymberkaye Posts: 41 Member
4 years ago I missed the bottom 2 steps on our staircase outside. I broke bones in both feet and several months later started have severe pain in my hip, lower back and legs. MRI showed bulging disc pinching the sciatic nerve. The more I walked the worse it was. I gained 30 pounds back of the 60 I had lost just a few years prior. Up until the end of May, I had not walked or stood for any length of time due to the pain worsening. I had 3 nerve blocks a few weeks ago and finally feeling better than I have in the last 4 years. I just started walking for exercise yesterday....3 times....totalling 55 minutes. It scares me to venture out into any other exercise/workouts because I dont want to hurt myself again. Considering my situation, I would love to hear from someone what I can do to burn more calories/other exercising, but not set myself back from it. TIA

Replies

• michmill98_1
    michmill98_1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Swimming or water aerobics? A former co-worker of mine has had a few back surgeries due to degenerative disc issues and if I remember right, her surgeon suggested swimming as an option.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I was just under 300 pounds, I was afraid of exercising myself in to an injury too. As I've lost weight and gained strength, the fear has dissipated. (Completing a Mud Hero helped a lot, too). (A few good falls where I prevented serious injury helped too.)

The physiotherapist on my weight loss team taught me a whole bunch of low impact exercises and also had me do strengthening exercises on my core. Here's a few ideas:
    • Water exercises like swimming or aquasize.
    • The elliptical. At least try it out. See if it makes you better or worse.
    • Rate your pain and if you go over threshold (say over 3/10) stop what you are doing. Honor your body.
    • Strength exercises for your core.
    • Yoga or Pilates to improve your core strength, flexibility and agility, so you can recover out of a potential fall.
    • Chair zumba. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eUmRwRyWD8

Take it from someone who has been there. Baby steps work. Start where you are and slowly increase your challenge as the old routines get easy. Drop activities that do nothing for you and be on the lookout for new things to try.
  • kymberkaye
    Options
    Omg!! That is awesome!! I knew if i just put it out there, someone would know exactly what I needed!! Thank you!!

Now, about that chair zumba....how do i do it?? Lol Ive always wanted to do zumba, but wiggling the old hips could be a total disaster. Not to metion they are a lethal weapon. Haha
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Like my physiotherapist taught me, modify the moves to work with your body. If you can't irritate that sciatic nerve, don't do the wiggle. Just follow along with that great instructor. Moving to the beat is so much fun.
  • kymberkaye
    Options
    Swimming or water aerobics? A former co-worker of mine has had a few back surgeries due to degenerative disc issues and if I remember right, her surgeon suggested swimming as an option.

Awesome....now i need to talk my hubby into buying a pool. Lol
  • kymberkaye
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    When I was just under 300 pounds, I was afraid of exercising myself in to an injury too. As I've lost weight and gained strength, the fear has dissipated. (Completing a Mud Hero helped a lot, too). (A few good falls where I prevented serious injury helped too.)

The physiotherapist on my weight loss team taught me a whole bunch of low impact exercises and also had me do strengthening exercises on my core. Here's a few ideas:
    • Water exercises like swimming or aquasize.
    • The elliptical. At least try it out. See if it makes you better or worse.
    • Rate your pain and if you go over threshold (say over 3/10) stop what you are doing. Honor your body.
    • Strength exercises for your core.
    • Yoga or Pilates to improve your core strength, flexibility and agility, so you can recover out of a potential fall.
    • Chair zumba. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eUmRwRyWD8

Take it from someone who has been there. Baby steps work. Start where you are and slowly increase your challenge as the old routines get easy. Drop activities that do nothing for you and be on the lookout for new things to try.

I just happened to touch that pic and lo and behold it took me to the video. Lol I think im pretty sure i can do that!!! Thank you so much!!!
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I've had a bulging disc pinching on the sciatica and it sucked, I'm glad you're on the mend. I spent many an hour with a physical therapist doing exercises to relieve the pain... was trying to avoid surgery and we seemed to have succeeded. At the time I was doing century rides, scuba diving, and all sorts of other things and it all came to a stop. It was a long time before I was able to get back into some of those things without worrying about instantly injuring myself again.

The modified chair exercises posted look good. I also got a number of exercises from my therapist to help strengthen my back and keep things in place, you might ask him or her what they recommend for you.

One thing I found with myself (in this and in most things) is that the fear is worse than what will most likely actually happen. Meaning most of it is in my head. Just take things slow and don't rush it and don't let your fear cause you more damage. I found one I relaxed, I was less tense and things worked much better than going in terrified.

Best of success on your continued recovery.. you've got this!
  • kymberkaye
    Options
    I've had a bulging disc pinching on the sciatica and it sucked, I'm glad you're on the mend. I spent many an hour with a physical therapist doing exercises to relieve the pain... was trying to avoid surgery and we seemed to have succeeded. At the time I was doing century rides, scuba diving, and all sorts of other things and it all came to a stop. It was a long time before I was able to get back into some of those things without worrying about instantly injuring myself again.

The modified chair exercises posted look good. I also got a number of exercises from my therapist to help strengthen my back and keep things in place, you might ask him or her what they recommend for you.

One thing I found with myself (in this and in most things) is that the fear is worse than what will most likely actually happen. Meaning most of it is in my head. Just take things slow and don't rush it and don't let your fear cause you more damage. I found one I relaxed, I was less tense and things worked much better than going in terrified.

Best of success on your continued recovery.. you've got this!

Yes, you are so right!! I cannot let fear keep me down!!! Thank you for your words of encouragement!!!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I agree that water aerobics would be the absolute safest thing.
  • 737jac737
    737jac737 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you decide to swim, get a mask/snorkel. When you don't have to worry about breathing, you can concentrate on technique and also what hurts/doesn't hurt while you swim, and make adjustments. Nero makes an underwater mp3 player so you can listen to music while you swim. Personally, I think you're working yourself up into a nervous mess over exercising. Calm down about it. You can find exercises that won't cause pain.
  • 737jac737
    737jac737 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    FYI - you won't lose weight unless you cut calories, eat high protein and very low carbs/sugar, and you probably won't lose weight until about 2 months after you start exercising/eating right. Don't be discouraged. You need to CHANGE YOUR LIFE if you want to see a difference. This is not a "oh, I'll diet for 3 months" thing. This is a REST OF YOUR LIFE thing if you want to live pain free and healthy.