Looking for healthier version of basic chicken salad

Options
gymjunkie1987
gymjunkie1987 Posts: 8 Member
Nothing fancy with spinach and all that just basic like what's in the store (chicken, celery, etc) only healthier.

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Chicken, celery, onion, and light mayo?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Replace half the mayo with hummus. I love hummus so I think this is delish.
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    Some people use Greek yogurt to replace all or part of the mayo, or mashed avocado.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    https://happyherbivore.com/recipe/mayo/

i make mine with mock chicken too, since i don't eat meat, but i've been addicted to this non-mayo recipe. it makes a huge difference in calorie and fat content and not a huge difference in taste. and you can tweak it however you want.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "healthier"? Lower cal? Less fat? More protein?
  • JodieP13
    JodieP13 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I use mashed avocado or guacamole.
  • ForMe2No
    ForMe2No Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    MFP has a recipe called High Protein Chicken Salad. It uses greek yogurt, apples, red grapes, red onions, garlic powder, and chicken. I think it also adds nuts walnuts or almonds don't remember. I don't add the nuts as I make a big batch to last most of the week for lunch or dinner and I don't know how the nuts will hold up in the mix.
  • gymjunkie1987
    Options
    Chicken, celery, onion, and light mayo?

Not using Any onion because I hate it lol. I tried just chickeb, mayo, and celery before and it didn't taste right at all so I'm assuming I was missing an ingredient or two. Ive read about using Greek yogurt but that just doesn't sound good. Anyone wanna chime in on up a good it is with yogurt?
    kimny72 wrote: »
    What do you mean by "healthier"? Lower cal? Less fat? More protein?

My bad, lower calorie and fat mostly but the closer to store bought taste the better.

i make mine with mock chicken too, since i don't eat meat, but i've been addicted to this non-mayo recipe. it makes a huge difference in calorie and fat content and not a huge difference in taste. and you can tweak it however you want.

I'll look into it thank you
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Chicken, mayo, celery, onion, and a pinch of dill.
  • gymjunkie1987
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Chicken, mayo, celery, onion, and a pinch of dill.

Maybe and hopefully dill is all I'm missing.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Okay :) I personally have always HATED mayo, so I use salad dressing. I like to mix chicken or tuna with diced cucumber and carrots, and Marzetti light lemon or balsamic vinaigrette (they have like 40 cals per 2 TBL). Have you tried light mayo? I know a lot of people who like it.

Depending on where you live, store-bought salads can use vinegar and oil rather than mayo, could vinegar be the taste you're missing?
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    I need a squirt of Dijon mustard in mine to give it that bump of flavor. No need to use onion!
  • Hoohoohaa
    Hoohoohaa Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Most store brand versions have brown sugar in them. Add just a touch of molasses to greek yogurt (it'll mask the yogurt flavor a bit) and you will get close.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I cook (boil) a chunk of onion with my chicken because I can't stand raw onion in it...I chop up the cooked onion along w/ the cooked chicken. I always use dill, celery & I enjoy chopped walnuts as well. Local place puts a small amount of small-diced green bell pepper in their chicken walnut salad, I kinda like that too.

I use mayo...but that's no help.

Last week, I had some giardiniera lying around I added for the veggies...will do again, yum.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    It's awesome with greek yogurt.My family loves it with greek seasoned chicken, grapes, celery, pecans and plain greek yogurt.

we use either Multigrain pitas or the whole wheat pitas

I make enough to last a week for lunches and everything holds up fine.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Avocado & cottage cheese + chicken.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    If you don't like pure Greek yoghurt, just replace half the mayo with it.

Increase the amount of veg?

Not sure what else to suggest. The mayo is the biggest source of calories there.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I need a squirt of Dijon mustard in mine to give it that bump of flavor. No need to use onion!

Oh, yeah. I forgot the mustard seed. DOH!

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A little celery salt can't hurt.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options

I am going to try this. If I like it you will be my hero! I LOVE mayo.