Fitbit calories vs mfp calories

Options
I'm having an issue with myfitnesspal maintenance calories vs my end of day Fitbit calories.

I am trying to eat at maintenance and lift weights because I want to gain muscle and also lose fat. I eat my exercise calories but at the end of the day there can sometimes be a huge discrepancy between my Fitbit and mfp. I don't know which one I should be going with or which one is correct. Mfp is always more than Fitbit.

Here is an example of calorie expenditure
June 7 mfp:2362 Fitbit:1917
June 6 mfp:2503 Fitbit:2334
June 5 mfp:4132 Fitbit:2950
June 4 mfp:2318 Fitbit:2164
June 3 mfp:2368 Fitbit:2198

I don't want to eat over my maintenance but I am not sure what that even is. Is this just a glitch or should I go with the calories on Fitbit only since it's the lower amount? I don't want to gain weight.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Are your accounts synced? MFP is generally going to provide an estimate and Fitbit is based on your actual activity.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    MFP is always too high for some reason. Go with the Fitbit.
  • Phoenix_Dawn
    Phoenix_Dawn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yes it is synced. That why I find it odd that there is such random discrepancies.
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Definitely go with Fitbit. Like @janejellyroll says it's based on your activity (HR included, which is KEY)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yes it is synced. That why I find it odd that there is such random discrepancies.

That's weird. Here is my two cents: I just use my Fitbit for calorie adjustments and I go with the MFP guide for calories. As long as I was seeing adjustments come over to my MFP account, I would go with the MFP estimate. If you find you are losing/gaining when you don't expect it, you can adjust from there.
  • thepawn1
    thepawn1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    which one do you log your exercise to first?
  • Phoenix_Dawn
    Phoenix_Dawn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't log exercise, Fitbit sends an adjustment based in steps and heart rate
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    There have been glitches off & on since I've used the two, which is over 2 years. I would rely on what Fitbit shows as your total daily burn.