SUSHI

Options
Is sushi really bad for you? When I go I usually order one of the following: salmon roll, avocado roll, or california roll

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Sushi can be very healthy. It's all about what is in the roll. I'm more a nigiri person (fish and rice only). Rolls depend on the ingredients. Avoid ones with tempura (fried) and sauces. Focus on the ones that are simpler, with healthy ingredients like fish, avocado, veggies, and rice only.

Either way, the calories can add up, so keep an eye on that.
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmm sushi!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    It's not horrible. Rolls are mostly rice, and the white rice isn't ideal. A nice plate of sashimi with just little rice, however, is a meal of champions. Especially if the place has brown rice (rare, but some do it).
  • Sweetlux
    Sweetlux Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I ate spicy california roll from Fresh and Easy last night for dinner. Really filling and not too many calories.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Sushi is good - but stay away from anything friend (Crunch rolls are honorific). Sashimi is really good - eat LOTS of it with a small roll and your onto a winner.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    http://www.yosushi.com/food/nutritional-information
    http://www.yosushi.com/static/downloads/4237YO!SushiNutritionalBooklet291110.pdf

just watch the salt intake from the soy sauce etc

I had sushi the other night - I love it!
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    see if they offer brown rice, save your calories through the day and never get tempura lol
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    I think sushi is not bad for you other than the white rice. It is however very difficult to calculate calories as each sushi restaurant varies their ingredients so much.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Sushi is usually pretty low cal, its the soy sauce that can be the problem (sodium) check if they offer low sodium sauce sauce, and also ask for brown rice. Doesnt really change the difference, but its better for you. Also, stay away from tempura rolls, they are fried.
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Hungry girl has a "guide to eating suishi".. Look up on google and u will find healthy choices to eat while there. I remember she said miso soup, spicy tuna rolls and other stuff.
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Not a direct answer to your question, but I'd say if you're already at a sushi place, try a seaweed salad with it! I saw a great documentary recently called How To Live Forever and one of the things it talked about was how the residents of the Okinawa island of Japan live much longer than Americans, with fewer years of disability at the end of their lives (~2 vs. 7 or 8), and one of the proposed factors was that they eat large amounts of calorie-poor foods such as seaweed.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I was just looking this up and totally indulged in a tuna roll today, this was a good article:

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/content/ultimate-sushi-roll-selector
  • tmacs
    tmacs Posts: 60
    Options
    I ate spicy california roll from Fresh and Easy last night for dinner. Really filling and not too many calories.

Yes, I was soooooooooo happy when I entered my calories after eating 12 ROLLS! Spicy tuna and philadelphia.
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Sushi is an awesome food for those of us trying to eat healthy. I get Tokyo Joe's spicy tuna rolls whenever I can. I don't use any sauce, to avoid the sodium. They are great, and really healthy. As other folks suggested, get brown rice if they will let you.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I eat the hell out of sushi and could really care less. When i go for sushi, i definitely make it my cheat day. I could eat enough of the stuff for an entire army (even the chef says so, hahahaha) mortifying, but i could care less. I love the heaven that it is :))) btw, i'm NOT a big girl (even though I could eat a sushi place right out of business) i'm actually 5'10, 157lbs. I can eat like a champion.
  • naesue
    naesue Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    When you go to enter your sushi make sure that you take a close look at how many pieces are in the rolls. Some will have 6 and some 8! Maki Rolls are usually about 60-80 cals a piece where nigiri sushi is 40-60 and sashimi is about 30-50! Sushi is my new favorite comfort food !
  • StevenJS86
    StevenJS86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It's Great! It all depends on the type...Brown rice sushi is BOMB! But all together I LOVE SUSHI in moderation :) WHich is hard!!!!! lol its so goooooooodddddd!
  • MissAnjy
    Options
    It's Great! It all depends on the type...Brown rice sushi is BOMB! But all together I LOVE SUSHI in moderation :) WHich is hard!!!!! lol its so goooooooodddddd!

wtf is moderation when it comes to sushi hahahaha

is 20 rolls moderation? i think so.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    This post inspired me to get sushi take out for lunch. Spicy tuna and avocado rolls. Yums. And with take-out you are tempted to order more when you run out.
  • MissAnjy
    Options
    This post inspired me to get sushi take out for lunch. Spicy tuna and avocado rolls. Yums. And with take-out you are tempted to order more when you run out.

I quite literally, order the "party tray" and I eat it all myself. Here's a hint at how much that really is .... they send 6 sets of chop sticks.
    I eat it alone. LOL