BBQ sides...help!

Options
tinalatina
tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
Any low cal sudjestions for Sides for my 4th of july BBQ?

Replies

• RyeLite
    RyeLite Posts: 17
    Options
    Sweet potato fries. Bake w/ Peanut Oil, yummy. I like when they get crispy...
  • rmstorey
    rmstorey Posts: 24
    Options
    Celery sticks with low-sugar peanut butter
    Salad of corn, black beans, red pepper, red onions, and cilantro
    Tossed green salad with fat-free or reduced-fat dressings
    Brownies made with applesauce instead of vegetable oil
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    fruit platter would be good.. pasta salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, black olives and a little italian dressing is good. (just can't eat bowl fulls)
    grilled veggies. (montreal steak seasoning is really good on grilled veggies!!)
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    mixed fruit salad, veggie tray with hummus, grilled veggies!:)
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Theres a low calorie healthy version of "potato salad" using cauliflower on Hungry-girl.com.. I cant say much for the taste because I haven't tried it but it looks pretty good lol.
  • ohthatmomma
    ohthatmomma Posts: 115
    Options
    How about fruit salad, mustard potato salad, regulary potato salad with olive mayo or low-fat mayo (I prefer olive oil), whole wheat penne pasta salad,
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    boiled new potatoes about a cup per person

sauce

Grated lemon and the juice
    1 Table spoon of dijion mustard
    4 table spoon of good olive oil
    4 spring onions thin sliced.

Cook the potatoes and let cool.
    Mix the lemon and mustard together and add the oil a little at a time. add the onion. add to the potatoes and let cool for an hour

about 144 cal per cup
  • rmstorey
    rmstorey Posts: 24
    Options
    Fruit salad plus sugar-free Cool Whip, or fat-free sugar-free pudding topped with fruit
  • kcthatsme
    kcthatsme Posts: 5,136 Member
    Options
    bump
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    grilled veggies, or roasted potatoes with onion and mushrooms seasonings, melon, corn on the cob, hummus and vegetables, pasta salad made with fat free dressing,
  • christinamathes
    Options
    The Zucchini Parmesan recipe from this link is good...also the Cauliflower mock mash potato's :)
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/cookbooks.asp?cookbook=163730

Good luck!
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    OR one of my MFP friends recommended the site skinnytaste.com?? I haven't checked it out but I hear there are AWESOME recipes on there!:)
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    Grilled veggies- peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, onions.. Yummy!
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Low-fat cottage cheese (plain or served with fresh fruits and/or veggies)
    Cucumber salad:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/adriennes-cucumber-salad/detail.aspx

Ingredients
    4 cucumbers, thinly sliced
    1 small white onion, thinly sliced
    1 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1 tablespoon dried dill, or to taste
    Directions
    1.Toss together the cucumbers and onion in a large bowl. Combine the vinegar, water and sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, and pour over the cucumber and onions. Stir in dill, cover, and refrigerate until cold. This can also be eaten at room temperature, but be sure to allow the cucumbers to marinate for at least 1 hour.

You could substitute stevia or splenda for sugar to reduce calories even more. Also, I would use fresh dill and throw in some grape tomatoes cut into halves. =)
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Air-popped popcorn...plain or with a little bit of salt/parmesan/the spice of your choice/grated super-dark chocolate
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    grilled veggies on scewers or grilled asparagus
  • MJKing2
    MJKing2 Posts: 177
    Options
    I make a yummy light side with chopped cucumber and green pepper with a little olive oil dressing and seasoning. Serve with pita chips or tortilla chips. Easy and low cal.

I also make another one with diced tomato,chopped olives, green onion, with a little Italian dressing.

Grilled veggies are always good...egg plant, peppers, mushrooms, onions. :-)
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    OMG WOW!!! THanks for all the ideas!! Im Loving it all...... :)

Mahalo!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    - Potato salad, swapped out with nonfat plain yogurt with mustard instead of mayo. Load with veggies, too
    - homemeade, baked sweet potato fries. Slice up a sweet potato, spritz with canola oil, bake about 40 mins at 350, turning once
    - Fruit is a great choice. For BBQ, we love watermelon or frozen grapes
    - Light cole slaw - cabbage, shredded carrots, and either use 1/2 the coleslaw dressing or dress with a bit of olive oil and vinegar. Or make it Asian with a bit of soy sauce, dash of peanut oil, and rice wine vinegar
    - Baked veggie chips instead of potato chips. Take your facorite root veggies (potato, carrots, beets), use a mandolin to shave thin. Pop into a plastic bag, drizzle a bit of olive oil, pepper, garlic salt - bake in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Turn at least once, but watch them like crazy, they can go from crisp to burned in an instant
    - And my favorite: CORN ON THE COB!
  • 2SandyCheeks
    Options
    You've got some good suggestions here!

Salad Suggestion:
    Spinach salad with blueberries, strawberries, feta, almond slivers, and raspberry vinaigrette

Also - Watermelon!