Gross subject!! But need help!?!?

Options
I have been on my weight loss journey since last November. I have lost 55 pounds so far and my goal is to lose 60 more. I have no problems with the weight loss so far, but have an odd issue and wonder if anyone else struggles with this. It seems the "cleaner" and healthier I eat the more I have an issue with irregularity and struggle with constipation all the time. I eat 1300 calories a day and focus on lots of colorful veggies and fruits and lean meats.
Does anyone else have this problem and if so have you found any solutions???

Replies

• bettybuyin
    bettybuyin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can try taking MIralax which has a lot of fiber. It's safe to take on a daily basis as needed. If I have a problem that's what I do.
  • ameliagomes25
    ameliagomes25 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey Girl,

55 lbs is so amazing! great job. I just started my weight loss journey in April and have lost 24 lbs. Constipation was the first issue I faced when starting my diet. I went to see a Naturopath and suggested that take magnesium supplement and drink lots of water. She also suggested that I add a date or so into my breakfast smoothie to help with the constipation.

I feel that the magnesium and adding prunes to my smoothie really help. :smile:
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I noticed that when I focused on adding more fibre it didnt help so much. I looked into the type of fibre I was eating and realized that soluble fibre is essential in relieving constipation. I added more bananas, potatoes, and other soluble rich food to my diet and increased my water intake based on a water consumption calculator i found online (it said I should drink 16 glasses a day) and now i'm back to normal :) I also take digestive enzyme supplements as I have IBs so it helps digestive foods easier.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I would agree with making sure you are getting enough fat and soluble fiber along with lots of water. I also find that when I drink a large glass of hot water with lemon on an empty stomach it helps to stimulate a bowel movement.

Magnesium is also something that is worth a try if the dietary changes don't help. Because magnesium and calcium are absorbed by the same receptor sites of our cells it's a good idea to take any magnesium and calcium supplements at least a few hours apart from one another.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Water, fiber, coffee, walking. That's what keeps me going. And yes, realizing less in = less out.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I agree with ameliagomes25, a magnesium supplement will keep you pretty regular. I take it before I go to bed because it's a natural muscle relaxer and helps me sleep. The side affect (or benefit) is that you will have to go to the bathroom first thing in the morning.
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Whole Grains? adding a slice or two of sprouted grain bread is a good way up up fiber, you need both types of fiber and adequate water. if problem persists goo time to see your dr for a check up to ensure there are no underlying problems. Without seeing your diary it's hard to know if it is a fiber issue, a water issue?? if you are eating any meat it is unlikely that you are deficient in fats.

and congrats on all your hard work, 55lbs is awesome!!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Yep same here. What solved my problem was eating a serving of wheat bran daily. I buy the Bob's Red Mill wheat bran. It's fairly cheap and I just add in five grams to some oatmeal or cottage cheese or yogurt every day. Solved the problem.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Like people mentioned before, soluble fibers. But also greens like kale and spinach can help get things moving. You can also try peppermint tea.

Also, congrats on the 55lb loss! That's amazing!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    How long has it been a problem? I ask because I think big changes in body shape and diet can upset your digestion and it takes a while to get back in balance again. It may just need time.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    bettybuyin wrote: »
    You can try taking MIralax which has a lot of fiber. It's safe to take on a daily basis as needed. If I have a problem that's what I do.

I would do your research before following this advice. Miralax is essentially plastic. It has some dangerous side effects to it. Magnesium is a way better approach to this issue. In particular mag oxide is what will help with regularity. Other forms of magnesium are used when you want to avoid bowel disturbance. In this case, you're wanting to create bowel disturbance. ;-)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    bettybuyin wrote: »

I would do your research before following this advice. Miralax is essentially plastic. It has some dangerous side effects to it. Magnesium is a way better approach to this issue. In particular mag oxide is what will help with regularity. Other forms of magnesium are used when you want to avoid bowel disturbance. In this case, you're wanting to create bowel disturbance. ;-)

Interesting. Where did you get this information?
  • StacyChrz
    Options
    Technically Miralax is polyethylene glycol, not fiber. It actual draws water into your intestines to soften stool. It is an osmotic laxative. Prolonged use of a stool softener of this kind can lead to electrolyte imbalances. If you're looking for fiber then Metamucil would be a better option.
    nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a603032.html
  • StacyChrz
    edited June 2016
    Options
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It may be anecdotal, but when I started taking fish oil, I stopped having problems. I swear, it keeps the pipes lubed. I take 3 soft gels daily, but I'm pregnant. 2 for me, 1 for baby to make sure she is getting her DHA.
  • VegaGirl11
    VegaGirl11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How long has it been a problem? I ask because I think big changes in body shape and diet can upset your digestion and it takes a while to get back in balance again. It may just need time.

I have had this issue from pretty much day one, so since November. I will try the magnesium and see if it helps. I drink water, walk, eat lots of greens including kale, etc. Some have mention less in equals less out, but I know when I am constipated. My stomach just feels bloated and icky. Plus, even with the reduced intake I know I should be going more than every 3 days...that is not healthy. Anxious to see if the magnesium tablets help. Thanks everyone for all your advice.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Magnesium definitely helps, oxide or citrate. My best tip for taking it is before bed on an empty stomach.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Some people don't go every day. But if you feel bad, you could ask your doctor for advice, or a nurse, or maybe a pharmacist.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Here's some woo I heard about the other day when researching essential oils: it said to put a couple drops of peppermint oil in the toilet and sit. Results should follow. I haven't tried it, just kind of shook my head, but hey, if there's anyone out there that has tried it, let us know.