Advice on maintaining 1200 calories ?!

Options
Hi everyone !
I have my graduation in a month and would like to lose 7/10 pounds for it.
I would need to hit 1200 calories a day
I know this amount isn't ideal but for 4 weeks thought it was possible
Any advice on ways to achieve this!

Replies

• mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure, and If you are close to your goal.... Good luck with that. You will also need to get some serious exercise in there to drop 7/10 lbs in a month. You've no time for chatting on here... Get busy.
  • Citycat2015
    Citycat2015 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Weighing, measuring, logging, and meal planning so that you can make sure you get the nutrients you need and enough volume to sustain you for four weeks.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Do you workout? If not, instead of pounds why not start exercise to drop some inches. Inches are every bit as good as pounds. Focus on strength training - if you haven't worked out in awhile, you could make some progress here.

I did 1200 back in the day. Lots of veggies - low fat (bad I know). Almost zero snacks. Not sustainable and nothing learned re: lifestyle change. Too big a difference from maintenance.

Breakfast - small efficient. Greek yogurt (fake sugar helps here) & a bit of Fiber One.

Lunch - the lowest possible calorie bread (45 calories a slice).....it's like eating air. Lean meat, fat free cheese (nasty texture) but it adds flavor. Veggies and a piece of fruit

Maybe some (more) veggies to snack on.

Dinner - lean meat, veggies & a small starch side.

Snacks - 100 calorie popcorn.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I second the strength training for loss of inches. Also, enjoy lots of veggies, they'll give you good nutrition with fewer calories. Remember that this is not sustainable and you may not lose as much as you want, 4 weeks is not a lot of time to lose 7-10 lbs.

Don't forget to log everything to make sure you are getting enough protein, fat and carbs.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    10 pounds in a month? That's a lot, but you are young so it might be doable. You can easily maintain 1200 calories for 4 weeks, I've been doing it for much longer. You do have to be quite disciplined to do it...little to no alcohol, little to no fast food, not many treats. And be sure to eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories.
  • veva_hill
    veva_hill Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! Xx
  • veva_hill
    veva_hill Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I lift weights and put muscle on quite easily - sounds silly but I need to smash cardio !
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Protein and fibre to keep you full, lots of spice and flavour to keep you interested, heaps of vegetables to give you something to chew on. Don't cut out fat or delicious things like cheese or you won't stick to it - just control the portions.

Pack lunches for yourself as this takes away a lot of temptation - I pack bento style so I can increase protein and veg and reduce carbs a little (I'm not a low carber, mind you, but sandwiches are almost all carbs which makes it hard to control calories without ending up hungry).

Whole grains keep you fuller for longer so if you can switch to whole grain bread and cereals you will get more bang for your buck.

Stay away from "low fat" snacks as they are usually sugary and white and will make you hungry while using up precious calories.

Best low calorie breakfast for me is a slice of wholemeal toast and a fried egg. That's what I eat if I need to save calories for later.

And exercise. Those extra calories are a lifesaver.
  • 78becca78
    78becca78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Breakfast... 1 egg, 1 slice diet bread toasted, 2 reduced sodium turkey bacon, and half an orange. 230 calories
    Snack... Light yogurt 90 calories
    Lunch... 2 oz turkey breast, 2 slices diet bread, 1 tbsp low fat mayo, lettuce tomato, and a cup of progreso light soup. 260 calories
    Snack... Fiber one bar and a cup of skim milk. 170 calories
    Dinner... 3 oz chicken breast, 1 cup broccoli, 5 oz of a baked potato, 1 tbsp reduced calorie butter... 355 calories
    Dessert... 1 cup strawberries. 50 calories

This sample menu has 1155 calories and a lot of food. So it can be done. Good luck!
  • ckp3215
    ckp3215 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 diet currently and it's easy as long as you weigh and watch portions and get in some moderate exercise- even if its just by taking a 30-40 minute walk at the end of the day. Here's my diary from yesterday:emzafv1095c9.png
    x22bpobii72m.png
    c41s72mhh3or.png
    tvc5eidssljh.png
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    veva_hill wrote: »
    Hi everyone !
    I have my graduation in a month and would like to lose 7/10 pounds for it.
    I would need to hit 1200 calories a day
    I know this amount isn't ideal but for 4 weeks thought it was possible
    Any advice on ways to achieve this!

You gonna wear a sign with your current weight and goal weight on it for all to see?

Or do they do a weigh-in on stage at this graduation?
    Very strange.

Or think hard on this - you want to improve the way you look at graduation?

Which isn't totally about weight - but rather inches.

Obviously some fat loss much occur - and likely weight with it - but what if body made some improvements and it was only 4-5 lbs but enough inches to appear like you lost more?

Still meets your goal if it's appearance.

Though I guess smashing the cardio and losing some muscle and fat together and just being smaller version of current self (fat where you don't want it) - still gets hidden in the robes hopefully.

Please report back to the thread as to how it went.

These kinds of threads would always be great teaching lessons - sadly rarely if ever does anyone report back with results so others can learn from their example and not go down the same road.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I need to smash cardio !

this! I'd skip the weights/resistance for those four weeks, you're not going to lose much, if any muscle in that amount of time.

• CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    I should add to my list of tips that, first of all, I don't sustain 1200 calories - I have several days a week when I go higher because I'm aiming at an average of 1500, and that's NET. I absolutely eat back exercise calories. Otherwise there's no way I could stick to it - 1200 is HARD.

(I don't look forward to maintenance because my basic calorie demand at my goal weight is likely to be around 1200. I'm going to have to get a lot more active because there's no way I'm eating that little for the rest of my life!)

OP, are you absolutely sure this is necessary? How much difference can 7-10lb possibly make? It's unlikely to be visible. A new dress and a nice haircut might be a better approach.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has said, weigh and log, pre plan meals. Low calorie stuff like veggies will give you more bang for your buck, just make sure that you count any oils or something that you might use. Moderate intensity exercise a few times per week, eat back at least half of what you burn through exercise.
    Take pics - you're not going to see much change from day to day and this can get discouraging. Pics help. As well as measurements.
    When I'm eating low like that, I make sure to drink TONS of water. Before each meal, glass of water. If I'm hungry and think maybe I shouldn't be, I drink a glass of water and wait 10 minutes.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP you will be lucky if you lose 3-4 pounds, so close to your goal weight you should only be shooting for 1/2 a pound a week. As everyone stated start strength training and don't worry about weight loss and also forget 1200 calories, eat more.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 a day as I am short I don't apparently need much according to MFP. Some days are easy others really hard. I exercise when I can but with a stressful job with long hours, it means not as often as I like.

I don't eat low fat products simply as full fat fills me up and keeps me full, you might be different so try a low fat vs a high fat day to see what works for you.

I eat low carbs and high proteins as again this keeps me full, you might need more carbs so play around with your foods and judge for yourself what keeps you feeling more full.

I generally don't do breakfast as I am not hungry when I get up at 5.45 in the morning. At about 9am I have a 100cal snack (often a boiled egg and spinach or grilled chicken strips)

Around 11am I have an apple or a pear. (Or another fruit)

Lunch is usually a salad with chicken, tuna or eggs. I rarely use dressing.

Afternoon snack I have vegetable sticks with hummus or salsa (depending on my calorie levels for the day)

Dinner steamed/fried/oven baked chicken/fish, steak, chops, stews, soup (currently addicted to tomatoe soup with boiled eggs Omg weird combo that works) I always have steamed veg or a salad with my main. Sometimes rice and potatoes at the weekend (too lazy to cook a potato for one, weekends we are 2-4) If I have a larger lunch or tucked into something extra, I'll have a zucchini/spaghetti with bolognese. I can have a pretty large portion for 300cals that leaves me properly filled up.

Usually I have room for an evening snack or I save the calories for the weekends when we often have English breakfast or go out for a meal with some wine. (Or last weekend we decided on profiteroles for dessert) Over my 7 days I eat all my 1200*7 allowance and if I hit the gym I add on another 25% of burned calories as my body tells me I need them. I treat this as a lifestyle, so have found a pattern of eating that works for me where I do not feel depraved, I eat my full weekly allowance and more, and I am 11kg down so far.

I hope this gives you some ideas of how to live on 1200 cals a day for 4 weeks. Just remember some days will be easier or harder than others, but this is normal.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    I do not feel depraved

I am very glad to hear it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Note that if 7-10 lb is all you have to lose you may not lose them in a month, and 1200 may be just MFP minimum, not the actual expected weight loss. As for 1200, it's doable. It certainly is doable if it's only a month and you're pretty motivated. Just think of the things that usually fill you up for reasonable calories and focus on those.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I lift weights and put muscle on quite easily - sounds silly but I need to smash cardio !

Sorry, but I question putting on muscle easly...and nobody puts it on easily at 1200 cals.