Help me with sodium issues!

Options
EVERYTHING has a ton of sodium, i know fresh ingredients have less but the problem is they spoil faster and I dont have the money to buy so much. Can anyone help me learn to avoid excess sodium? Also, does drinking a lot of water (I try to drink half a gallon at least every day) help negate some negative sodium effects?

Replies

• Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I have to also watch my sodium intake to watch my blood pressure. Since fresh ingredients do cost a lot of money, what I do is try to purchase frozen products (for vegetables and fruit). Also, you can purchase low-salt cheeses or low salt butter spreads. It is really hard, but all you really can do is look for low-salt products.
  • Emismom77
    Emismom77 Posts: 56
    Options
    I have to watch my sodium b/c I have migraines. I would say try eating fresh veggies every chance you get, canned veggies have sodium. All the frozen, Low-Cal meals (Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Smart Ones, etc) all have TONS of sodium, so if you can, stay away from those!!
  • IOWAlapbanderette
    IOWAlapbanderette Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You dilute your sodium and potassium by drinking alot of water, drink at least 64 ounces( 8 glasses) of water daily. If you drink TOO much, you end up doing more harm than good..
    just a thought.
    :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    NO RAMEN EVER!!!! I buy canned veggies but the no salt added ones so it is MUCH lower in sodium. I also eat a lot of chicken and fish which can be frozen in individual portion sizes then thawed and cooked later.
  • babs23
    babs23 Posts: 86
    Options
    Listen to Jillian Michaels' podcast titled "Jillian Talks Salt"

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-jillian-michaels-show/id418368811
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Fresh veggies spoil to fast for me, too. I buy a ton of frozen ones. Frozen broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, edamame, green beans... Just pop 'em in the microwave. Frozen veggies retain most of their nutrients.
  • MasterXelcas
    MasterXelcas Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    hey thanks everyone, and half a gallon of water is 8 cups :) but yea i guess all i can do is look for low sodium stuff.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I agree with lots of water! 8+ glasses of water daily...also I learned that I would store my meat (chicken, turkey, etc) in zip bags for each serving in the freezer until I knew I was ready to eat it for the next day. Good luck to you!
  • MasterXelcas
    Options
    oh and sometimes i have no choice but to eat ramen but i was wondering, if i do eat ramen without the broth (which i always do) is it better sodium wise?
  • kutterba
    kutterba Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Potassium. potassium helps balance fluid issues - look for foods high in potassium like bananas, and dark green vegetables. don't overdo the water as it washes out too many of your necessary electrolytes. Look for the items that say "Less salt" or try to find those fruits & vegetables that last longer. google - that's what I do! Celery is high in sodium, for example. Balance.
    Try to avoid diuretics as long as you can-nasty side effects.
    :wink: good luck!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Water and potassium can help alleviate the negative effects of excess sodium. But that can only help so much, I think...
  • MasterXelcas
    Options
    thanks everyone
  • kutterba
    kutterba Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Ramen=carbs=hold water. Mix with vegetables like some steamed broccoli.
    you'll learn.
  • MasterXelcas
    Options
    i mixed with 1/2 a cup of peas and no broth :)
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Yes, almost all the salt is in that little packet, so if you don't use it, then thats good. The sodium in the noodles would probably be the same as macaroni, spaghetti and such.

Also, I found a NO sodium powdered broth by Herb Ox, it does the trick and it only has 10 calories. Its a great little snack in the afternoon for me.
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Why are you looking at sodium? Is it just because it is a good idea -- or do you have a health issue that demands it , like High blood pressure? I ask because that will determine how dedicated you wish to be in cutting the amount down you take in. For me it has become a necessity.

1) Add sodium to the columns of things you track. This will put it right in front as to how much you take in. Not perfect since not every food has sodium listed. But it helps. And check the goal -- if you think it is too high change it. MIne is set at 1500 mg BECAUSE that is all my body can tolerate before it sets off my BP and headaches.

2) Start by avoiding the easy highly processed foods. What foods are those? Fast Food (no brainer there), condenced soup, cheese...basically any highly processed food will have a lot of sodium. READ the labels! just because it says "reduced" or "Low" sodium it may not be. Reduced mearly means it has less than that brand's regular product -- not that it has a lot less -- just less. I have never found a definition for "Low Sodium" My person rule is to favor products/brands where the sodium/serving is less than the calorie/serving.

3) But I can't always avoid these foods so...i make an allowance when i plan myday. For instance I will have a homemade salad for lunch if I know I am eating out at dinner. I try to choose a salad or lots of steamed veggies at restaurants. And always get any salad dressing on the side --this is another sodium bomb. I control my intake by dipping my fork prior to getting a bite of salad.

4) Get smarter about the buying and storing of fresher/non-processed food and freezing.

AS to the water trick...I don't know if it works or not. I don;t believe it does, and this should be something you do for you anyway. As you pointed out -- EVERYTHING has a ton. Trying to flush it out with water would just be too difficult.
  • babs23
    babs23 Posts: 86
    Options
    Why are you looking at sodium? Is it just because it is a good idea -- or do you have a health issue that demands it , like High blood pressure? I ask because that will determine how dedicated you wish to be in cutting the amount down you take in. For me it has become a necessity.

1) Add sodium to the columns of things you track. This will put it right in front as to how much you take in. Not perfect since not every food has sodium listed. But it helps. And check the goal -- if you think it is too high change it. MIne is set at 1500 mg BECAUSE that is all my body can tolerate before it sets off my BP and headaches.

2) Start by avoiding the easy highly processed foods. What foods are those? Fast Food (no brainer there), condenced soup, cheese...basically any highly processed food will have a lot of sodium. READ the labels! just because it says "reduced" or "Low" sodium it may not be. Reduced mearly means it has less than that brand's regular product -- not that it has a lot less -- just less. I have never found a definition for "Low Sodium" My person rule is to favor products/brands where the sodium/serving is less than the calorie/serving.

3) But I can't always avoid these foods so...i make an allowance when i plan myday. For instance I will have a homemade salad for lunch if I know I am eating out at dinner. I try to choose a salad or lots of steamed veggies at restaurants. And always get any salad dressing on the side --this is another sodium bomb. I control my intake by dipping my fork prior to getting a bite of salad.

4) Get smarter about the buying and storing of fresher/non-processed food and freezing.

AS to the water trick...I don't know if it works or not. I don;t believe it does, and this should be something you do for you anyway. As you pointed out -- EVERYTHING has a ton. Trying to flush it out with water would just be too difficult.

I agree with ALL of this! Not only have I added the sodium column to my diary, but I've added potassium as well. (go to settings when you're in your diary to change your columns). Sodium and potassium are electrolytes and they act as a checks and balance system for your body.

The more sodium you eat, the more water you retain. SOOOO, if you drink more water and don't keep your sodium in check, you'll retain MORE water. Making your heart work harder, elevating your blood pressure. More water will NOT fix it by itself.

Watch your sodium and potassium levels. Eat LOTS of potassium rich foods if you have a high sodium day.

I can't stress this enough. Please take 20 minutes and listen to the podcast I linked above. All of this is explained. :)
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    On another sodium note, I've always been shocked at how much sodium is in breads (all breads - pitas included). But today I was even more shocked when I went to buy tortillas (expecting to read the label and find a high sodium content) and it was 0, that's right 0 sodium in Nature's Promise Whole Grain Corn Tortillas! If you live near a Stop & Shop or Giant, that is their private label brand.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen fruit as well so it keeps longer. I recently have been eating more frozen fruit as deserts and it is so good! I buy the generic bags at Target and usually get strawberries, blueberries, and pineapple. They are all good frozen and can easily be turned into smoothies with other ingredients. I'm not a big veggie fan, except for spinach so I buy a bag of spinach every once in a while and have salads. I love feta, onion, and tomato with spinach for a salad and it's pretty healthy for you too. But, if you try it get the block of feta (Presidente is my favorite). It has less sodium in it and tastes way better! And feta on warm tortillas is awesome, so if you can find the kind that Stephanie is talking about that would be a good snack.