Protein stomach upset

does anyone else find after a protein shake their tummy is gurgly and they need to go to the bathroom an hour later because of loose bowels? Trying to find a way around it, I don't usually drink milk. I generally eat lactose free

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Typically I use water for my protein shakes and I've never had a problem. Perhaps you should try switching what you make it with? Water, almond milk, soy milk or cocnut milk?
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    What protein are you using ? Maybe try high quality plant based one and/or drink it with water. Or unsweetened almond milk
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    jess199007 wrote: »
    does anyone else find after a protein shake their tummy is gurgly and they need to go to the bathroom an hour later because of loose bowels? Trying to find a way around it, I don't usually drink milk. I generally eat lactose free

It could be one of their additives. You could jot done the ingredients and find another brand that doesnt' have some of those fillers to see if there is a different reaction. I doubt its the protein, unless whey (milk protein) is what is doing it. But another option, like smiley suggest was use a plant based protein like Vega.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    If something messed with my stomach like that, I wouldn't drink it.

Unless it's Jack Daniels. I have no problem getting whiskey craps afterwards. LOL
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Whey and casein protein powders have lactose.
    Additives:
    One that upsets me is carrageenan
  • scottburger104
    scottburger104 Posts: 90 Member
    it may even be the milk since you say you rarely drink it. you could use soy or almond milk to make your protein shake with. It might be worth changing the milk to see if that's the problem first.
  • Shadyhuero805
    Shadyhuero805 Posts: 97 Member
    If im lifting and at a 1000 deficit. And under calories... But i dont reach my protein intake amount..shy by 60 -100 grams... Is this going to affect muscle gain.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    I couldn't drink whey or casein powders because they upset my stomach so I went to a rice protein and that works for me.

The one I use is Nutribiotic vanilla and it has everything you need re amino acids and is just sprouted organic brown rice. It doesn't taste awful either. I mix it with frozen blueberries, plain greek yogurt, spinach, flax seed and coconut water. It gets me through a morning workout just fine!
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Whey and casein protein powders have lactose.
    Additives:
    One that upsets me is carrageenan

Actually, whey isolates are suitable for lactose intolerant people.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Whey shakes typically contain less lactose than some other dairy products. Milk has two types of protein, whey and casein. Both contain lactose. For people with lactose intolerance, that means drinking a whey shake could cause side effects, including digestive discomfort, nausea, bloating and abdominal pain.
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/can-lactose-intolerant-people-drink-whey-protein-shakes-11706.html
  • psuLemon
    If im lifting and at a 1000 deficit. And under calories... But i dont reach my protein intake amount..shy by 60 -100 grams... Is this going to affect muscle gain.

Most likely will increase the loss of lbm.
  • mbdean86
    mbdean86 Posts: 38 Member
    edited June 2016
    Unfortuantely, not all whey protein powders are made equally. Whey Concentrate is the one heavy with the cholesterol and lactose. Isolate has more of it removed, but there might still be enough there to have a bad reaction if you have lactose sensitivity.

You could try a soy based protein powder and mix it with soymilk. Part of the problem some people run into is flavor. If the shake doesn't taste good, most people won't want to drink it at all.

@Shadyhuero805: You could drop your intake to 0.73 gram of protein per lb of body weight and maintain lean muscles (maybe bump to 0.82g/lb), though some muscle might be lost due to the calorie deficit. Are you trying to get bigger muscles or cut for definition?
  • girlperson666
    girlperson666 Posts: 27 Member
    I made myself a protein shake today with unsweetened almond milk and vega protein and greens after being off protein supplements for nearly a year. I was violently sick after. couldn't go 10 minutes without something coming out of my mouth or my rear. lasted 2 hours... after that I was perfectly fine? I could see it being the protein, it's the only thing I had different today than usual.
  • psuLemon
    I made myself a protein shake today with unsweetened almond milk and vega protein and greens after being off protein supplements for nearly a year. I was violently sick after. couldn't go 10 minutes without something coming out of my mouth or my rear. lasted 2 hours... after that I was perfectly fine? I could see it being the protein, it's the only thing I had different today than usual.

If it was the actual protein, you would be sick every time you ate one of the foods it was derived from.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    I use a vegetarian protein powder and mix it with almond milk. It's pretty good.