Fitness tracker ..

Options
Looking to invest in a fitness tracker ... Main requirement is that I want it to sync to this app and I don't require it to show me the information apart from through the app. I wondered if anyone had any suggestions, there seems loads out there!!

Replies

• kgj4105
    kgj4105 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    How much information would you want the fitness tracker to give you when you sync it? Something like the fitbit flex seems to be made more for people who don't do a lot of exercise (ie most of their activity comes from daily routine walking) while other trackers (i have the garmin vivofit 2) let you track individual workouts for time and steps during those individual workouts, and will track your heart rate during those workouts for better estimates of calorie burn.
  • sarahmcnabola
    sarahmcnabola Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If I'm honest most of my exercise is walking, I have two spaniels that keep my on my toes, and running, so something that would ideally monitor cal burn for those more than gym work out.
  • Lyenny
    Lyenny Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I got a Garmin Vivosmart HR...it was between that and the Fitbit Charge HR....I wanted something that tracked my heartrate on my wrist so that I was getting a more accurate idea of calorie burn. I went with the Garmin because every review I read said it was more accurate..plus, it is waterproof, at least for showering and basic swimming. I LOVE IT! I have felt so much more motivated to move every day....and I'm just competing against myself....I think the Fitbit community might be bigger because more people have them....Hoping to find some people on here that have the Garmin.
  • katiharrell
    katiharrell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lyenny I have a Garmin and I know no one else that does! lol

I just got myself the Vivoactive HR. So far I am really liking it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit One - no heart rate component, but my steady state cardio workouts aren't exceptionally hard and they are step based. So the calorie estimate is good enough. HRM's are designed for steady state cardio, don't expect them to be particularly accurate for other types of workouts.

Here's a link to the Fit Bit groups - tons of info (on the various models) there:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I have the vivofit 2. I love that the battery is good for a year.
  • bleudolphin
    bleudolphin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the polar A360. I really like it. While it currently doesn't sync directly to MFP I use Google fit to sync my steps.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I was only walking four years ago- I had a fitbit - lasted 2 years good battery life. Lost it several times - drove ver it, glued it togther - turned me into a good walker. When I cracked the case in half, I then bought a fitbit one - still using it. Great for walking, steps climbed and sleep - simple to use, no fancy tech to waste your time.

Six montsh ago I started doing more intense exercise, weights and gym, wanted a heart monitor to make sure I don't overtrain. Got a Garmin Vivoactive, does piles of things, one major thing over the fitbit - is it gives walking speed - which is now important to me. Also maps my walks. I have a love/ahate relationship, its quirky and buggy, wastes a lot of my time working around the issues. Battery life is not what they say - more like 2 days. If I ignore the hassles - then it does a lot for me.