Nauseated after cardio

Options
I've been trying to get to the gym at least 5 days a week. I go at various times as my work schedule is strange. When I do 70 minutes of cardio first thing in the morning I am usually nauseous afterward. This does not happen if I exercise later in the day. Any ideas why this may be happening?

Replies

• R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Could possibly be less hydrated upon waking up and hitting cardio. Are you eating a snack or drinking anything before you start? I always have some coffee and 100-200 calorie snack about 20 minutes before I jump in and get the old ticker pumping!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What do you eat or drink before the gym?
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Are you eating before you do your workout? If not, have you tried having something small beforehand? If you are eating, have you tried leaving a longer gap between your meal and your workout and/or have you tried a variety of foods?

I really struggle to work out on an empty stomach. I need at least a piece of toast or similar with some nut butter to do my best. I avoid dairy before running - doesn't sit very well.

I try to eat no less than 30 minutes before I work out.

~Lyssa
  • skafka74
    skafka74 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a breakfast eater so I don't usually eat until late morning. I don't eat when I do cardio first thing in the morning, but I don't feel hungry either. I drink 40 ounces of water during my workout and 80 - 100 ounces for the entire day.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    That happens to me when I don't eat before exercising.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I get nausea when I drink too much water. I don't eat before I go to the gym either.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    skafka74 wrote: »
    I'm not really a breakfast eater so I don't usually eat until late morning. I don't eat when I do cardio first thing in the morning, but I don't feel hungry either. I drink 40 ounces of water during my workout and 80 - 100 ounces for the entire day.

This is probably the issue. I drink a protein shake on the way to the gym in the morning. I've never been a morning eater, but I found it absolutely necessary to put something other than coffee in my belly M-F, which are my gym days.
  • skafka74
    skafka74 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I never thought it was food related. Tomorrow is cardio at 7am. Guess I'll try eating something before I go. A cup of mixed fresh fruit maybe and see how it goes.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    skafka74 wrote: »
    I never thought it was food related. Tomorrow is cardio at 7am. Guess I'll try eating something before I go. A cup of mixed fresh fruit maybe and see how it goes.

I do close to 70 mins too. That's a lot of energy to burn. Good luck!
  • R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry on wake up (I understand, I've never been a breakfast person) just try eating something small, the fruit should help!