Happy Scale / Daily Weigh In?

Options
I've been on MFP now for about 10 weeks and I've been reading the boards more and more and noticed lots of people track their weigh daily in Happy Scale, etc.

I've only ever weighed myself weekly as I think if I did it daily, the natural fluctuations could well drive me mad, but reading up on this app, it looks like it might be a good way to spot trends etc.

Is there anyone like me who has potential to obsess over the figures used the app and found it helpful?

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i definitely do, i like to have as much data as possible, it comforts me. the daily fluctuations kill me too, but as long as my graph goes down i feel reassured. i like that if i'm having a bad week i can toggle out to a month view or the all time view and see progress.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. When I only weighed weekly, I would often find that a normal fluctuation, like TOM, might make me weigh more one week than I did the last week. However, since watching the trending weight given by Libra, a weigh in app, I know that I'm moving in the right direction since it smooths out the highs and lows. Definitely took the stress out of things for me. Now, a weigh in is just something I do every day instead of a report card at the end of the week.
  • puddles1450
    puddles1450 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Is there a version for Android?
  • mespreeman
    mespreeman Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I actually just downloaded happy scale.

It seems really nice.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Is there a version for Android?

Libra is for Android and it does the same thing Happy Scale does.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Libra is the Android version.

I also like weighing daily. I don't really think about it, it is just part of my morning routine. I have friends on here who stress about weigh in the next day, but I never do. Some days it's up some days it's down, but it is generally trending down and that is all I care about. I also like seeing the fluctuations and trying to figure out what causes them. I never knew before that not only do I retain a little water during my period, I also retain water during ovulation. And I notice if I'm having too much sodium too.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I found daily weighing *freed* me from obsession. Instead of caring what the scale says on any specific day, I focus on the trend. Since my weigh fluctuates a great deal, this has been a great thing for me.

This has been my experience too. Weighing once a week stressed me out.
  • herirakotomalala
    herirakotomalala Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Weighing everyday gives you good motivation. If weight is lower, you can think about the food and exercise you've done in the past days. Same if weight is higher

I personally use a Fitbit Aria scale. It also calculates a body fat % which for me is more meaningful than weight. There are also cheaper weight scales out there
  • NatalieLJ
    NatalieLJ Posts: 158 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I weigh every day, and until recently the days where I didn't lose/gained slightly would drive me mad. But now I use Trendweight, and this helps me to see that I am losing and shows me the trend and projections. I really like it. Weighing daily also helps keep me accountable - otherwise I'd probably eat badly knowing I still had another 6 days until weigh-in.
  • ScotsLass78
    ScotsLass78 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....great advice/help! I'm definitely going to give this a go. I can feel a difference in my clothes at TOM (and ovulation - being a woman sucks sometimes right?!) so it would make sense that it affects weight. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You will fluctuate whether you weigh daily or weekly. Weekly fluctuations drove me to weigh daily so I could understand what was going on. Now it's a game for me to guess whether I'll be up or down on a given day. I can often predict it by looking at past patterns. Try it for at least a month and see how you feel about it.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily BUT only my weigh in day counts and this is when I update this app. TOTM you will put on weight, extra sodium or carbs like pasta or bread.

It took time for me to stop obsessing about daily weigh ins, now I am down to 3-4 days a week and feel a lot better about it personally. Seeing my big fluctuations made me obsess and I struggled to eat enough after a big hike as even though I knew I had eaten a lot of salt for example, my mind went "OMG you have put on 5lbs since yesterday so pull yourself together and stop eating" and even though my rational me KNOWS I cannot put on 5lbs of fat in 24hrs, damage were done for a while, hence I am weaning myself off the daily weigh ins. It might work for you, but it might not. Just be aware of the potential draw backs of the constant weighing ins.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I actually switched from weekly to daily because I was feeling too much pressure on the weekly weigh-in. If I weigh daily, it's easier to account for random fluctuations.
  • IpakDaley
    IpakDaley Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Another here that weighs daily. Watching the trend is what keeps me from stressing over the daily fluctuations, especially if it is a higher number on a particular day.
  • dlcshan
    dlcshan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't use an app, but I log it daily at https://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/HackDiet which is what trendweight.com bases their method on.
    I actually read the online e-book that was written by the person who developed this. It was a pretty interesting read and he explains how you can use it even once you reach your goal weight to keep an eye out for whether your weight changes are normal fluctuations or whether you are beginning to creep up before it's too late to easily put a stop to it.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I started using Happy Scale about 3 weeks ago. It has helped me see a trend and I can get a feel for my progress depending on what I ate the day before.
  • hoorayselma
    hoorayselma Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Libra is the Android version.

I also like weighing daily. I don't really think about it, it is just part of my morning routine. I have friends on here who stress about weigh in the next day, but I never do. Some days it's up some days it's down, but it is generally trending down and that is all I care about. I also like seeing the fluctuations and trying to figure out what causes them. I never knew before that not only do I retain a little water during my period, I also retain water during ovulation. And I notice if I'm having too much sodium too.

i just learned this about ovulation too! sometimes moreso than TOM - so between ovulation, pms, and tom, i pretty much have 8 good days a month. lol

Haha so true
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    It helps with Happy scale because it shows you just how weigh fluctuates do you are not di fixated on the figure you see, it's good to see the ups and downs and when you see the whole month and how it went down from previous it's grreat.