goal ratios and reaching them

Options
I just changed my goal ratios to 40-40-20 (159g carbs and protein, 35g fat) from the automatic settings, and then looked back through my diary to see how close/off I have been from this new ratio. I'm usually well well below the protein goal. I never seem to get to 100g of protein - usually around 70-90.

Is 159 grams of protein a realistic goal I should change my eating habits to meet?

Also do you try to actually meet your ratio goals each day? Until now, I've only focused on eating good carbs and protein at each meal, healthy fats, and staying below my calorie goal. Now that I'm three weeks in, it seems time to tweak things and learn more about what I can be doing to ensure success.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Replies

• mxmandani
    mxmandani Posts: 109
    Options
    I've heard that you should get 1g of protein for every pound of body weight
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I was constantly under my protein goal, now I take a protein shake daily and this seems to work for me as to bringing me to the goal or very close.

You should try some.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I use Excel to create graphs and try to keep my weekly percentages at 40/30/30 (Carb/Fat/Pro).

Before my graphs I found I was usually at a 50/35/15 ratio. (found by pulling back data)

Now I find I'm usually ending up with a 45/30/25 ratio instead. Still not my ideal, but just the process of trying, and having the visuals over time, has made an improvement. If I set my protein goal lower; I have the feeling that my protein intake would just go lower too.
  • marycompton
    Options
    My trainer also recomends 1g protein per pound of body weight for best weight loss results.
    I have a hard time reacdhing that goal myself and it took me forever to find a protein powder that I could actaully drink (they were all terrible tasting, in my opinion)
    I've started using Jay Robb chocolate whey protein powder,- 1 scoop w/ 1/2 tablespoon dark chocolate powder with water or almond milk, once or twice a day and it has really helped.
    I think it tasts waaay better than any other I had tried.
    One scoop = 110 cals, 25g protein, 0 sugar, and only 1 carb. ( I add the dark chocolate powder = 15 cals a tablespoon)
  • jody0912
    jody0912 Posts: 33
    Options
    thanks everyone for the tips!

do we think it's okay to have a protein shake twice a day (of course minding the calories, carbs and fat...)?
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the tips!

do we think it's okay to have a protein shake twice a day (of course minding the calories, carbs and fat...)?

No reason, why not, but remember... meat, beans, soy, and other protein sources include a variety of other nutritional benefits including healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, fiber (in plant sources), etc. Supplements should be just that, supplementing your regular protein sources.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    A lot of the "you need 1g per pound of bodyweight" protein claims are from companies who happen to make......protein powder.

Even bodybuilders don't really need that much protein. It's not going to hurt you, assuming your kidneys and liver are in good form, but it's not needed either.
  • jody0912
    jody0912 Posts: 33
    Options
    another question regarding ratios:

I read in some old community posts that a gram of carbs = 4 calories, a gram of protein = 4 calories, and a gram of fat = 9 calories.

I tried to calculate the ratio of what I actually ate (as opposed to my goal), and I'm coming out higher than 100%. Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong?

example:
    breakfast = 412 calories, 52 grams of carbs, 39 grams of protein and 9 grams of fat.

What I did:
    protein - 52 x 4 / 412 = 51%
    carbs: 39 x 4 / 412 = 38%
    fat: 9 x 9 / 412 = 20%
    * figures rounded

this adds up to 108%....