Need help gaining

Options
I'm currently 108lbs 5'3 and I can't seem to get to a high weight my goal is 115-120 I've been drinking whey protein shakes keeping track of what I eat and it just seems like the weight won't stick. I have no problem losing it but gaining is such a struggle for me. Can anyone help me out with what to do.

Thank you!

Replies

• sueelaineparker
    sueelaineparker Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating in a day? It could be that you aren't eating at surplus and are only eating enough to maintain.

Look at a TDEE calculator which will tell you how many calories you use up in a day and add a surplus to that as a goal so around TDEE + 500.

Eat lots of high-calorie foods or make smoothies if necessary. Remember that getting all your protein is good, but it's also important to get your other macros too so your carbs and fats.
  • bornfabulous1
    bornfabulous1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Apetamin or Tres Orix. They will make you gain weight, but the apetamin will make you drowsy the first few days. I'm taking the Tres Orix I started on 5/25/16 at 116lbs yesterday I weighed in at 125lbs but my stomach is looking like I'm pregnant, have to work on it
  • bornfabulous1
    bornfabulous1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor first though
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How much are you eating in a day? It could be that you aren't eating at surplus and are only eating enough to maintain.

Look at a TDEE calculator which will tell you how many calories you use up in a day and add a surplus to that as a goal so around TDEE + 500.

Eat lots of high-calorie foods or make smoothies if necessary. Remember that getting all your protein is good, but it's also important to get your other macros too so your carbs and fats.

Do this and skip the syrups and other crap. The below thread will give you ideas of foods to eat.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE - this is how many calories to eat to MAINTAIN weight. Scientifically, 3500 calories = 1lb. So if we divide 3500 calories by 7 days of the week, you need to eat TDEE plus 500 calories to gain 1lb per week (and conversely, TDEE-500calories for -1lb per week).

So that means you need to log and measure EVERYTHING you put in your mouth, and eat TDEE + 500 calories. I assume you are lifting during this time, as the caloric surplus will greatly aid in strength and muscle growth. I would not recommend going any more than that, as you can only build a certain amount of muscle and any excess will turn into fat. If you are a smaller person, +500 may be too much. Do TDEE+250 for 0.5lbs gained per week or 2lbs gained per month.

i.e. I am a 27/male/5'7", gymming 4 days a week. I put in my stats and my TDEE comes out to 2300 calories. To bulk, I have to eat 2800 calories DAILY for +1lb per week. If I wanted to gain 10 lbs, that's roughly 3 months of bulking. If I wanted to lose weight, I'd cut and eat 1800 calories daily for -1lb per week.

Remember, consistency over intensity. Skinny people overestimate how much they eat (and overweight people underestimate). The scale and food tracking keeps us all honest. It's not how much you eat in 1 meal or 1 weekend, but what you do day-in-day-out.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Steady diet of pizza may help
  • lplummer324
    lplummer324 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I take Apetamin to help me gain weight. I started Apetamin on March 25, 2016 and my starting weight was 112 pounds and as of today I'm at 129 pounds. It works but it will give you a stomach but I'm working on that.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I went from 130 pounds to 170 pounds (15 years ago) by eating crazy amounts of pasta using a technique I learned from working in restaurants years ago:

- make enormormous quantity of pasta
    - put it all in a strainer and run cold water over it (be careful - it's easy to burn yourself!)
    - when it's all cold, put it in individual baggies, about a serving-size each
    - refrigerate
    - twice a day ON TOP OF YOUR REGULAR DIET boil some water and put a serving of cold pasta in it for 30 seconds
    - strain and eat

This saves tons of time because you're prepping it all beforehand, and pasta is very cheap calories (and I was dirt poor at the time).