After dinner food regret

Options
After dinner I tend to make food decisions I regret. Sometimes I overeat, eat something I flat out didn’t want to eat what I ate, or I eat food so close to bedtime I worry it hinders my sleep. I am wondering if anyone else makes similar decisions and what they did to improve. It’s not so much about what I end up eating, it’s that I want to make eating decisions with confidence and health in mind.

Things that I think before choosing to eat something I don’t really want after dinner:

“My boyfriend is so relaxed and carefree. He is handing me a lovingly-made sundae/milkshake/cookies/cake/mixed drink. I don’t really want it, but I don’t want to be uptight, so I’ll eat it and try to be more fun”

“I am so tired. It’s too close to bedtime to nap, but too early to go to bed. I'll stuff my face until I forget how tired I am”

“I already ate too much for dinner and now I feel gross, I may as well just keep eating. Why not?”

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Consider doing 12 hour fasts.
    Eat dinner and then stop eating for 12 hours.
    It really helped me.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,026 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    After dinner I tend to make food decisions I regret. Sometimes I overeat, eat something I flat out didn’t want to eat what I ate, or I eat food so close to bedtime I worry it hinders my sleep. I am wondering if anyone else makes similar decisions and what they did to improve. It’s not so much about what I end up eating, it’s that I want to make eating decisions with confidence and health in mind.

Prelog.

Around lunchtime each day, I prelog most of the rest of my day so that I know what will fit into my calorie limit. And I always include evening snacks.

Also for this one ...

“I am so tired. It’s too close to bedtime to nap, but too early to go to bed. I'll stuff my face until I forget how tired I am”

Drink a large cup of hot, black coffee ... or if that's going to give you too much caffeine and keep you up too late, drink plain a cup of rooibos chai or lemon-ginger tea. I suggest those two in particular because I find those teas are sweet enough I don't need to add sugar.

Also drink a glass of cold water.

The feeling of fatigue is often a symptom of dehydration.

You might also opt to do something in that time like ... go ride that bicycle you've got in your profile photo. :)

• newereveryday
    newereveryday Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Maybe make after dinner your exercise time? I completely forget about being hungry if I'm reading, personally, and reading before bed is relaxing.
  • WhimsicalChimera
    WhimsicalChimera Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this, too. I agree with the above suggested glass of water. I've got a 48 oz mug that I fill with ice water before bed every night. I don't sleep well, or much, so to try to keep me from getting up and snacking, I drink some of it while playing games on my phone. (And yes, I actually get out of bed when playing with my phone.)

Good luck!
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My evening snack is prelogged at breakfast.

Sometimes fatigue means you need water. Sometimes it means you need.to.go.to bed.
    “My boyfriend is so relaxed and carefree. He is handing me a lovingly-made sundae/milkshake/cookies/cake/mixed drink. I don’t really want it, but I don’t want to be uptight, so I’ll eat it and try to be more fun”
    I am sorry. I'm just too much of a *kitten* for this scenario to ever fly -- I'd be calling him out for passive-aggressive sabatoge thankyouverymuch.
  • myluv4lifgros
    myluv4lifgros Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I plan a "bedtime" snack of fruit or cheese. Something light or healthy. That way I am more likely to choose what I planned for than to try and find something to satisfy.
  • laceyn18
    laceyn18 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just posted this in the "how many times a day do you weigh yourself thred"...I weigh myself twice a day, once in the morning and then again before I go to bed. I found that weighing myself in the evening made me much more conscience about the pre bedtime snacks. Just the thought of facing the scale right before bed makes me think twice and I'll reach for a sensible snack instead. Strawberries and cool whip been the most recent go to.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    At dinner - I also prepare a small healthy snack before bed. It's portioned out and ready to go.

I log it have it closer to bedtime.

After it is done - it's a quick clean of the plate (I find if the kitchen is all cleaned up from dinner that helps too...I don't want to make another 'mess' to clean up)

I turn off the kitchen lights never to return until the next morning! lol

-perhaps have a chat with your SO other about not presenting you with calorie-ridden bombs at the end of the night.

good luck
  • WalkingQueen1979
    WalkingQueen1979 Posts: 119 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I try to eat around the same time and trust me before the diet I ate huge portions and snacked alot. I found limiting my diet soda intake helped alot and I don't allow myself any snacking after 8 but sometimes I have to eat dinner a bit later if working late. When I get frustrated I remember how much better I look and feel so I don't feel the urge. You can do it.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    i always plan ahead for some snacks and yumyness at night because i know i will always want it

Same here. I save calories to have a snack before bedtime. Maybe you should try adjusting your calories to do the same.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,026 Member
    Options

About this ^^

My husband and I both have yogurt as a mid-evening snack. And we each have our own yogurts. His is a higher calorie coconut flavour that he really likes ... mine is a lower calorie peach or vanilla.

We both add things to our yogurt ... I suggested he could get full cream or custard or whatever (he likes that stuff), but he is happy with my low-cal whipped cream. And I have a few lower calories things I add to mine while he adds a few higher calorie things, if he's feeling hungry.

So there's no problem at all with having something yummy in the evening ... but a higher calorie version might be his, and a lower calorie version might be yours.

Also, I don't have much time to bake, but with what little time I do have, I have found some low calorie versions of normally higher calorie baked goods. One was a banana loaf.

I'd never been able to do a successful banana loaf ... they always go flat. But just a few months ago we ended up with a whole lot of bananas which we froze and I decided to try another banana loaf to use some of them up. Most banana loaves tend to be rather high in calories, so I found a low-cal version, and made the banana loaf. I didn't hold out much hope of it turning out ... never had any luck before ... but to my surprise, the low-cal version worked! And it tasted good!! So my husband and I were both able to have slices of banana loaf with butter each evening for a while, as a break from our usual yogurt.

So there are options out there. :)

• ch1128
    ch1128 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Tell you're other half that if you can't log it you can't eat it. But don't deny yourself. .maybe just have half of what you'd normally have.

Personally I don't have the energy to exercise at night but figure any movement is better than nothing so while my other half is stuffing his face with junk I try and find a chore to do like ironing/put washing away etc It's a great time to do those little jobs you don't get around to in the day and makes you feel good that you've done something productive and NOT shoved your daily calorie allowance down your throat in 20 minutes flat...or is that just me?!?
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    prior to eating, drink a glass of water
  • xFoodJunkyx
    xFoodJunkyx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    swap your naughty late night snack for fruit, a banana is great, has the sugar to make you feel like u just ate a bar of chocolate and good for the blood pressure too! Bingo!
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Maybe a late night snack should be part of your meal plan? I'm thinking strawberries and whipped cream or a nice fruit Popsicle? Yogert, or maybe some raw nuts? If you plan for it and account for those calories it wont be a problem. If you really feel like you must eliminate that 4th meal then try brushing your teeth right after dinner, then you wont want to eat again.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Consider doing 12 hour fasts.
    Eat dinner and then stop eating for 12 hours.
    It really helped me.

I've been doing this without really being official about it. After dinner, 6 days out of 7, I don't eat any more food. I find it's better for my blood sugar and my sleep. Also, sometimes, i will brush my teeth after dinner. I loath doing it, so I will not want to do it again if I eat something else. Helps keep me from eating something I only kind of want. Also, helps me avoid offered food by saying, I already brushed my teeth!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I don't eat after dinner, period. It does help that dinner is around 6 and I go to bed at 8 (to watch a show then asleep around 9-9:30). I'm not hungry after dinner, and I almost always eat to my calorie goal AT dinner so there isn't room to eat anything anyway. Even when I'm in maintenance and not counting calories I'm almost always satisfied with my dinner till I go to bed. As for drinks, I usually drink before dinner and maybe one with dinner, after that there's no point to me in continuing drinking unless I'm out for the night with friends.