Calorie counting without exercise

Options
Does anyone here track their calories but don't go go the gym? How have you found your weight loss going? Has your body shape changed?

Replies

• chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Lost my first 50 that way, no prob. And I didn't even start running because of a plateau, I just wanted to take it up.

Eta: My body shape hasn't really changed--I was hourglassy before, and I'm hourglassy now, maybe even more so?
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply! I'm moving soon and won't be able to afford the gym anymore sadly so hoping to just lose through calorie deficit. Looking to lose 42lb xx
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    It works. It's just slower and requires more caloric restriction. And you don't get the health benefits of exercise.

I don't go to a gym, and when I first started losing weight I was completely incapacitated by pericarditis. I lost my first 30 or so pounds without any exercise whatsoever.

As my heart recovered, I started walking, only managing ten minutes . Now I walk at least an hour a day and look forward to that. I also do a little bodyweight /free weights now, and a bit of yoga and dance but not much.

My body has mostly the same shape. There's just less of it.
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Options
    Thanks all. I have a (nearly) three year old who takes up most of my time so will still be keeping active!
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Options
    Should make the most of the gym before I move house still though but knowing that I won't be able to go much longer anyway isn't really inspiring me!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight with zero exercise (24lbs), and now the only exercise I do is walking, lots and lots of walking :smiley:
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I went from 149 to 129 lbs simply counting calories and walking (I'm 5'2). That comes to 1lbs/week average for me. Didn't find it difficult at all. My shape stayed the same only smaller (hourglass).
  • louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have lost 69 pounds by mostly tracking calories. I have walked from time to time but never consistent. I cleaned a lot for movement. I also have a four year old boy and a girl that will be three in a few weeks. I recently have been seeing a waist line. But when you were as round as tall I guess your shape will change with weight loss.
  • trainersteve2016
    trainersteve2016 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is 80% of it all so if it's on point, you'll see results.
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Options
    Amazing pics!
    Thank you all, you've inspired me x
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Options
    How many calories do you all eat?
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    exercising, going to the gym just means that you lose weight faster, and/or you can eat more

currently 1520 calories before exercise

I'm 5'8 and 198.6lbs

I need smaller clothes
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is all about eating at deficit so working out isn't necessary but most people find that when they do make time for exercise they feel so many benefits - it increases the deficit as you would burn more, it can help the skin tighten up, its good for our heart health, it has uplifting effects as we get the feel good factor from endorphins etc. :smile:
  • tigernikki
    tigernikki Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You don't need a gym to exercise. I haven't been to one since my high school days. Go for walks or to the park with your little one. There are also plenty of workout videos on youtube, my favourite is fitness blender. But then again, exercise isn't necessarily needed to lose weight. Good luck.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I only started going to the gym very recently. I lost nearly everything without ever gettign anywhere near one
    Hoever it did not mean that I was inactive. I walked (and still do) a lot, did yogaand cycled at every opportunity.
    I bought some weights for home and used those from some resistance training I learned way back when.
    Also now using You Tube (fitness blender, FirSugar etc etc) for home training
  • BettyEtte
    BettyEtte Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Another proponent of fitnessblender.com. Free and, IT WORKS!