counting calories v slimming world

Options
Hi! Iv lost almost 2-stone on MFP, always used slimming world or weight watchers in the past but struggled so I felt iv had more freedom just counting calories (generous 1700 cals a day).
However iv hit a plateau even after reducing my calorie intake and im STARVING...thinking of doing slimming world again but scared id actually gain weight. Does anyone have any success switching between different diet methods? Iv got a dress fitting in 8 weeks and need at least another stone off by then but nothing is shifting!!

Replies

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at a plateau? Have you looked at your salt intake? I was upset today because I haven't lost in almost 2 weeks and then I looked at my diary and I've been well over my sodium all week if not longer.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    At 1,700 it sounds like you are not eating the right kinds of foods.
    Open your diary. Mine is.
    People told me to eat more protein, choose high fiber foods, and try to cut back on chips.
    More: do you use a food scale - priceless
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thankyou, yes im usually always over my sodium limit and carbs quite often too because I love bread and snacks but iv always been careful to keep fat and calories under the limit. Maybe its time I changed some of my food choices. I also dont count condiments and pickles and I suppose they will be high in sugar and sodium. Time to go back to the drawing board thanks for the replies x
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    kermax39 wrote: »
    Hi! Iv lost almost 2-stone on MFP, always used slimming world or weight watchers in the past but struggled so I felt iv had more freedom just counting calories (generous 1700 cals a day).
    However iv hit a plateau even after reducing my calorie intake and im STARVING...thinking of doing slimming world again but scared id actually gain weight. Does anyone have any success switching between different diet methods? Iv got a dress fitting in 8 weeks and need at least another stone off by then but nothing is shifting!!

Ultimately Slimming World and Weight Watchers are based upon calorie counting, same as mfp.

They weight the points to calorie dense foods, to encourage you to eat foods that are lower calorie, hence the "vegetables are 0 points". If I ate broccolli, carrots and cauliflower until I was fit to burst I doubt Id get through more than 300 calories...

The the difference really is in you, or at least which method of CICO you are more likely to adhere to.

If you suspect you may have been over eating, perhaps a little casual with your logging, then a switch might be good for you.

If you are sure you have been very strict perhaps its just a case of sticking it out and waiting for a whoosh.

Also exercise might help you, with me its a real mental boost as much as its an extra calorie burn.

On a side note, I love the Slimming World microwave meals, always keep a couple in the freezer for those nights when cooking isnt going to happen. They are really tasty, really filling and really low cal.

Unlike Weight Watchers meals which arent that tasty and you need to eat about 3 to feel full!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You only lose weight by being in a calorie deficit. Whether you do slimming world, WW or eat pure lard, as long as you're under your maintenance calories, you'll lose weight.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Thankyou, yes im usually always over my sodium limit and carbs quite often too because I love bread and snacks but iv always been careful to keep fat and calories under the limit. Maybe its time I changed some of my food choices. I also dont count condiments and pickles and I suppose they will be high in sugar and sodium. Time to go back to the drawing board thanks for the replies x

Water weight for sure!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    @trigden1991 The all lard diet? I wonder if that exists. I bet it does.
    I wonder effects on cholesterol levels.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I would suggest upping your water intake and definitely being more mindful of sodium and carbohydrates. I'm not saying to do low-carb and never have sodium EVER, but be aware that your body will hold onto water when carbs are ingested, as well. I speak from experience - I gained 5lbs over a weekend in water weight because I got a bit too greedy with pizza and ice cream and not-so-greedy with fluids. I've been losing glacially slow lately... I think half of losing weight is learning to be pattttttttttient.

As others have said, Weight Watchers and Slimming World still rely on the basic premise of CICO. I personally prefer CICO because I'm in full control of what I eat. I become weirdly defiant when I'm told things I "should" eat or "can't" eat. You do you, but ultimately I feel that regular calorie counting is more sustainable in the long run.
  • sky_northern
    sky_northern Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at the same weight? May was frustrating for me because i didn't lose as much as i wanted, but i stuck with it and first week of June lost over 5lbs in a whoosh.
    I also dont count condiments and pickles and I suppose they will be high in sugar and sodium.
    I wouldn't worry about the sugar and sodium so much as the calories, depending on the type and amount of condiments they could hide a lot of calories! Tighten up your logging and stick with it!

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Measure anything that has calories in it. Sodium and sugar targets are individual "health" specific but on their own don't mean much to weight loss. Definitely track condiments as they can be sugar laden.
  • Marchmallow
    Marchmallow Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My experience as a huge carboholic was that calorie counting was a safer bet than slimming world, especially since I'm vegetarian so was put on the (higher carb) Green Plan. I barely lost any weight on their plan, because other than "as long as 1/3 of your plate is superfree" there were no real portion guidelines, and I like a big bowl of pasta, if you know what I mean. I started secretly counting calories while going to the meetings and they all congratulated me that I'd finally "clicked" with the plan - I hadn't, lol.

I will say though that going to the weekly meets did keep me on the straight and narrow - once I realised I was paying a fiver per week for something I could do at home, I fell off the wagon pretty quick.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose in total OP? 14 lbs in 8 weeks is possible but may not be realistic especially if you don't have much more to lose.

How long have you been at a plateau?

You said you log everything but condiments but are you weighing your foods with a scale?

Personally I think people learn better life long skills with using MFP to set an appropriate deficit, accurately log the foods they eat to teach themselves how different foods factor into your total calories as well as the nutritional profiles, and that when you exercise you need to eat back some calories to fuel your workouts. Programs like WW and Slimming World may accomplish the same end goal but I find the points system over simplistic so that users have to rely on the programs long term. Calorie counting is free while those other programs are not.

• kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thankyou all, iv been struggling at same weight for 3-weeks, doesnt sound like a long time but im a biggish girl and the weight should be falling off easily especially since I go to bed hungry every night. Im gonna cut down on bread and try aim to actually stay within my carb limit see if that makes a,difference. Iv cut to 1500 a day, just for the sake of this dress fitting iv decided to cut to 1400 so hoping something shifts,by next week x