Muscle fatigue many days after hiking

Options
beabria
beabria Posts: 541 Member
I recently went on a 2-week long hiking trip. Most days involved intense hiking of 7-11 miles and an elevation change of at least 1000ft across rough ground. Needless to say, that isn't my normal activity level, but I've done this sort of trip before (both at my current fitness level and when more fit). On the hikes during these two weeks, I experienced the expected muscle exhaustion that is associated with depletion of glycogen in the muscles. As in the past, the wobbly-leg syndrome improved some with resting and eating a snack, and after a night's rest I was good to go again the following morning.
After previous long hiking trips, I've returned home feeling extra strong with improved cardio and muscular endurance, and was looking forward to using this as a jumping off point for a summer fitness plan. But, this time, I've been home for four days and my muscles are more tired than normal instead of less tired. When doing simple daily tasks like climbing a flight of stairs, my legs feel leaden - as if I'd done a long hike today instead of several days ago. To be clear, I am referring to muscle fatigue, not any pain that would indicate an injury.
I've never experienced muscle fatigue so long after hiking, and am curious if any of you have. How long did it take you to recover? After recovery, did you ever get to the point of feeling stronger than before the intense period of exercise? And, does anyone know what would cause this? It *feels* just like glycogen depletion, but I don't see how that could possibly be the case after several days of normal eating and activity levels.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Maybe because you are getting older? As I get older I don't bounce back as fast. Another thought, did you change your diet or macro ratios?
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your getting older. It happens to the best of us. Or you caught a virus?
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've experienced this. It turned out that I had a heart condition I didn't know about.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I would suspect potassium depletion. You need more than normal amounts (which are often hard to get as it is) with that much exercise. Drink coconut water. Other minerals can get depleted as well (magnesium). A multivitamin would not hurt. See your doctor!
  • beabria
    Options
    To be sure - I'm getting older like everyone else (boo!), but I'm 33 and the last time I did a similar trip was only two years ago. Sucks to be aging so quickly! I had a complete physical before going so a heart condition is hopefully unlikely, but I'll give some multivitamins a shot.
  • beabria
    Options
    Oh, and I was doing low carb before the trip, but switched to "normal" while I was there. I'd planned to go back to low carb upon return, but want to wait until the muscle problems go away. No sense in adding the "carb flu" to the mix!
  • rose_a_lind
    rose_a_lind Posts: 41 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Beabria, I am interested to here what you are feeling like now after some more recovery days. I also received a shock to my body when I took a 15 mile hike last month. But I recovered after a week, and I am over 50. Maybe it was hotter weather?