Macros When Injured...?

Options
J72FIT
J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
Do you adjust your macros when you are injured?

Replies

• J72FIT
    Options
    bump...
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    About 6 months ago I pulled a muscle off my rib, very very painful, so I couldn't lift for about 5 months. I did keep walking and just added more miles, I kept my macros the same.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm eating more protein than usual, keeping the amount of fat the same, and cutting my carbs a bit to make way for the extra protein calories.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Linzon wrote: »
    I'm eating more protein than usual, keeping the amount of fat the same, and cutting my carbs a bit to make way for the extra protein calories.
    That's along the lines of what I'm doing...
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    @J72FIT....I've been following this thread wanting to know too...but for arthritis. I'd read in a blog that 1-2g protein per kilo was preferable. I've found nothing else that has similar recommendation. Have you any links along those lines?
  • J72FIT
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    @J72FIT....I've been following this thread wanting to know too...but for arthritis. I'd read in a blog that 1-2g protein per kilo was preferable. I've found nothing else that has similar recommendation. Have you any links along those lines?

1-2 grams per kilo sounds about right. Get some collagen as well.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Usually the recommendation is per kilo of lean mass yet the blogger didn't specify that? Cos I ain't lean lol. Was but now working my way back.

I don't want to derail - not sure I am because I view injury the same but down the track if you find out anything more (studies etc) and put it here I'd appreciate it. I know others on same situation would like more info too.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I don't know the right answer if there is one, but I suppose you could increase protien (if it was low in the first place) in an attempt to aid muscle repair.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I adjust to account for changes in activity levels if the injury demands it.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    @sidesteel @armyofadrian
    I was in a cut prior to this and thus was in a slight deficit. I switched it up to maintenance, increased protein, dropped carbs and kept fat the same. Training is on hold except for rehab, mobility, flexibility and light cardio (stationary bike and walking).
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    ^ That seems reasonable.
  • J72FIT
    edited June 2016
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    ^ That seems reasonable.
    Thank you @sidesteel, appreciate the input. At 44, recovery is getting harder and harder...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't really stop working out when I'm injuried- I heavily adjust- but I have dance class and rehersahal to attend- so even when I'm broken there is still work to be done.

Being said- if I have to taper off/drop my frequency- I definitely adjust down on my calories. Usually I have to cut way back on carbs- I'm one of those ridiculous "I have no metabolism" people- so even though I train 3 times a week and I'm dancing 10-15 hrs a week- I can't eat more than like 1800 calories or I start gaining- losing for me is under 15-1600. It super sucks.
    So usually I just knock off like 150-200 calories (in the form of carbs typically)
  • J72FIT
    Options
    @jorocka
    Yeah I have not stopped, adjusted as well. Light rehab work in the injured areas along with light cardio to get the blood a flowin'...

Putting more focus on core, flexibility and mobility.

As far as calories, I upped mine to maintenance since I was in a cut at the time I got hurt.