Throwing scale away

Options
I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of my scale. I have been one of those daily weighs all my life (I'll be 40 in December ) and I'm just sick of it. I'm thinking g about starting a lifting routine and throwing scale away. What I'm doing now is not working.....I just yo yo! Thoughts!?

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    if you want to stop yo-yoing, weigh all your food, log using accurate database entries and stick to calorie goals that work. throwing away your scale or working out is optional, as many people lose weight without doing either, but working out and getting stronger helps one look better and it's always a plus to be stronger.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't throw it away, just only way once a week at the same time of day of the week. A scale is a decent guide to check to see if you're on the right track. However, if you can't restrain yourself from doing it every day and you get upset if the needle ticks up a bit, then get rid of it and use your mirror and clothes as a guide or start using a tape measure instead. If what you are doing now is not working, then you make changes to find what does work. Is what you're doing not working because you can't stick to a calorie deficit (if you're trying to lose)? If you're trying to lose weight, it's not working because you're not eating at a caloric deficit. If you've been at it for a while and you haven't been strength training already, you should. Muscle is what burns the most fat and the more muscle you have, the more fat you'll burn, even at rest. Your focus right now (if you're trying to lose weight) is to figure out where you're going wrong in the calorie department, fix that and then focus on a combo of cardio and strength training for the best health and fitness benefits. One step at a time.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get rid of your scale. I'm a daily weigher and it is much easier to nip weight creep in the bud when the numbers are tight there.
    You can't blame your scale for your lack of results.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    *right there, not tight.
    Also I've seen people who gain back 15-20lbs before their clothes start getting tight.
  • BadAssAries
    BadAssAries Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I tossed my scale out once. When I bought a new one & stepped on it I was much MUCH heavier than I thought I was. I understand your dilemma but don't throw it out just make it less accessible so that daily weigh-ins become too much of a pain (but weekly ones are possible). My suggestion---put it in the trunk of your car.
  • ConstantStruggle
    ConstantStruggle Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses! Okay! Bad idea! I'll keep the scale :)
    I am contemplating starting a weight lifting routine. I have always had to eat very little (1000 calories or less) to lose weight and it just seems like its getting harder and harder. (And please, with all do respect, spare me the "your not eating enough" talk. I have been at this for 30 years, I have tried it all.....EXCEPT WEIGHTLIFTING!) I ate waaaaayyyyy to little in jr high and high school and I think I just wrecked my metabolism. At any rate.....I have always been a walker/jogger, no marathons, but I usually go 4-7 miles at least 5 days a week and it just doesn't seem to be enough. I stay within 10-15 lbs of where I want to be but I thought if I started lifting a few days a week things might get a little easier AND as I get older I have more sagging....YUCK.....so I am sure if it does nothing else it will help with the sagging...RIGHT!?
    Anyway.....thanks again to all of you. My ears are open to any suggestions!