Is This Hard or What?

Options
AutumMego
AutumMego Posts: 6 Member
I've only been on this journey for about 3 months. I forget to take my vitamins and log my food, and a Dr. Pepper and a cheeseburger is all I want most days. Nevertheless, I'm determined to make this work!
I graduated from college a couple weeks ago and realized I no longer have an excuse for late night snacks and avoiding the gym, so I went and got a membership to my local Y. I did everything I could to get ready for this-- bought a cute outfit, some athletic shoes, and even bought a fitbit tracker so I could earn those silly badges that I love so much; I mean, going to the gym is a big deal for me.
I hate exercising and especially in front of other people. I get huffy and puffy, my face turns red, and my boobs bounce so high they might just smack me in the face. It's out of my comfort zone and makes me a little anxious, but hey, I'm determined remember?
Yesterday was my first day, and I invited my sister to go with me just so I couldn't change my mind and instead stay home to binge on "House", my latest Netflix obsession. I put on my new outfit, pulled up my hair, laced up my new shoes, and instantly hated what I saw. My tank top showed my arms, my athletic pants were clinging to my thighs, and I felt like I was totally out of place. I should have gotten a gold star just for going through the front door, I was that anxious. But I MADE IT, and that's what counts.
I got on an exercise bike, and I started to pedal. I went two miles before I decided I was through, which isn't a lot, but I DID IT, and that's what counts.
I could only do the elliptical for 12 minutes before my arms were jelly, but I DID IT, and that's what counts. My determination level just got even higher, because I realized I can conquer my "fat fears" (wearing athletic pants, going to a gym, and even walking around in a bathing suit at the pool!) and I CAN DO THIS.
I encourage you all to do what I did, and JUST DO IT! Do something out of your comfort zone, because it might give you the little extra push you've been needing in your own journey toward better health and fitness.
Today I'll be doing my first group exercise class, and I'm crazy nervous that I won't be able to keep up, but I know that I can do this too.

Have a wonderful day, and keep on keepin' on! :)

Replies

• chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    try linking your phone to google calendar, or setting reminders

I have mine set to remind me to take my meds at certain times everyday, as sometimes I just plainly forget
  • AutumMego
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion Wytey! I've just learned I can set "silent alarms" on my new fitbit, so I'm trying that out for med reminders. Today was my first day, and it worked out well! :smile:
  • wrathofpascal
    wrathofpascal Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Awesome post, well done!
  • AutumMego
    Options
    Thank you Balldrix! It was a long, eventful day for me and I'm so glad I was able to make it through! I'm looking forward to my future progress, and will definitely be posting more along the way! :)
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Remember: Losing weight is hard. Being overweight is hard. Pick your hard. :)
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    No it's not hard. You have to want it and have a mind set to do it and realize it is a lifestyle change not a diet. Don't worry about being judged by other people. Don't wear a tank top at first if you are self conscious. A t-shirt will work fine. Buy a good sports bra. You're not going to the gym to win a beauty contest, you're going to work out. Taking someone for accountability is awesome. Just do it attitude is right. It will get easier. Great start. You can set small goals to increase your stamina from here on. Your healthy choices will change your pallet to not want the cheeseburger and Dr. Pepper. Especially if you stick with it and start seeing results!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I use the JUST DO IT every day.. I just love the example you used that says DO SOMETHING OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE..

This is priceless.. :):):)
  • empmmurray
    empmmurray Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Dude.
    Good job! That's a lot to do on your first day. You made it out the door and into the gym, which is the hardest part!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Shoot. The first time I got on an elliptical I could only do it for like 2 minutes lol! You got this!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I <3 this post so hard.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Hardest part is mental. Everything else is easy.
  • SashEdwards
    SashEdwards Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Congratulations....the first time is always the hardest, and once the little things (ie: conquering the fear) start happening, you'll just want to keep going. I also enjoy being able to come here and get nice things said to reassure me that what I'm doing is right and I'm on the right track. ;) Good luck on your journey, you can do it!
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Great job! Maybe you could find an activity that you enjoy so it feels like less of a workout. For me it's yoga and figure skating. Since I really want to be able to do awesome moves, I am motivated to sneak in exercise any chance I get. I know that I am limited to certain inversions and jumps simply because of my weight and lack of muscles, so I am really excited to improve and see how far I can get. I shifted my focus from how I look to what I can do, and I find it very empowering. Good luck!
  • crazymama2both
    crazymama2both Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    FABULOUS work!!!
  • ulcaster555
    ulcaster555 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    don't overdo it, but be consistent