Any recipes/ideas for meals or snacks with large portions but don't kill your calories?

Options
AlyssaPetsDogs
AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
I love eating! I've been pretty disciplined with portions now, but sometimes I just want to eat more (not that I'm eating portions such that I'm still hungry - I just like eating!). Before I made a lifestyle change, I would always have seconds and sometimes even thirds. It is just very satisfying to be full!

Some of the portion sizes are so sad (for example, a serving of peanut butter is a depressing reality).

I love pastas, but the serving size for spaghetti just doesn't cut it for me. I'll do zucchini noodles instead so I can eat more.

Typically I will load up on the veggies and do some type of meat. Lately it's been a bowl of shredded chicken taco meat with a little sauce and cheese melted with celery on the side.

I eat slow and I try not to be on my phone or in front of the

What do you people eat that's satisfying and you can kind of eat a lot of (besides celery, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

(Also, I would not classify myself as a binge eater/former binge eater. So I don't need to do any soul searching to find the "reason" I like to eat. It's as simple as I love food and sometimes just a bite or two won't satisfy :) )

Replies

• AlyssaPetsDogs
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    If you like big meals, you can do IF where you might only eat two meals a day. If you skip snacks, you almost have to work hard to fit in enough calories and protein into two meals. -- maybe do that on days when you want more food.

Thanks! Do you pretty much just eat the same calories in a smaller window? I'm on 1200 calories so are you suggesting two meals of 600 calories rather than spreading it out throughout the day?
    I've looked into IF very briefly. I just know that I hate breakfast, but if I don't eat (and sometimes even if I do) my tummy is growling LOUDLY around 10 or 11 am, demanding food! I'm sure you get used to it and your body changes?
  • babyxfangs
    babyxfangs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love larger helpings as well, so I usually don't eat much all day, and then eat a giant dinner around 5:30. For more filling lower calorie dinner options, I steam/satay large quantities of veggies to fill my plate. Or I might make an egg white frittata as a side dish, or really, I find rice fairly low calorie for what you get and how filling it is.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    air-popped popcorn
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    salads, boiled carrots with a smidge of butter with salt and pepper, or baked cauliflower the same- really delicious and as long as you keep the oil or fat low- you get quite a lot. Also I find beans and cottage cheese to be pretty filling for portion size.
  • AnKiT_PaL
    AnKiT_PaL Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1) Roasted Peanuts
    2) Roasted Black Grams
    3) Nuts and Dry Fruits (Almond, Cashews, Pistachio, Raisins, etc..)
    4) Soaked Lentils, chickpeas, kidney beans (Soak it overnight, add olive oil and your favorite spices or sauce)
    5) Tofu
    6) Cottage Cheese

When I take one of these, it keeps me full for at least 2 hours and this I am saying not in huge quantity! It is probably an ounce or two of any of these above!
    And even if you feel like you are not full, you can take the second serving after an hour, that way you will actually feel less hungry during the main meal say lunch or dinner!
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I do lots of vegetables. And fruits. I can eat as many vegetables as I want and never have to count them and still lose weight.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    Options
    These are all great! Thank you, everyone!
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I love huge salads, you just have to keep an eye on the dressing. Romaine Hearts, grape tomatoes, carrots have pretty much no calories so I make a giant bowl of them and add some bolthouse dressing which comes in at under 50 calories per serving. With a little bit of some protein it's a very satisfying dinner for me.
  • roxcrm
    roxcrm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I filled myself to the brim yesterday. .. I had a bowl of lettuce (from the garden), 1 tomato diced, half a can of corn .. all with just salt and pepper it was great.. then I ate a bowl with the other half can of corn, a full can of tuna, and 1 and 1/2 Tbsp of mayo, seasoned with garlic salt, salt and pepper. ...I snacked on other little things but after those two bowls I could barely meet my calorie goal.

You could also do as many veggies as you want really, you can get full as you can on veggies and still not meet your calorie goal. I usually try to do a boiled egg also because the protein keeps you full longer. Soup is another great option. Hope that helps someone!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Start by eating more than 1200 calories!!
  • Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    pancit