Plateau? It finally happened.

Options
Hi all.

I’ve finally hit a plateau. I thought I’d be super sad, but I’m actually super motivated to get out of this state. I lost 30 pounds (which was from drastically changing my eating). I’ve slowly incorporated some things back into my lifestyle, which are responsible for my plateau state.

Would you mind offering some exercise advice that may help? I love running, biking, cross training, etc. I’m not afraid to throw myself into anything fitness wise; that’s how I’ll change and grow. Thanks for reading.

-Roe.

Replies

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I would add a little weightlifting into your weekly routine if you haven't already. There are many good programs out there such as Strong Lifts 5X5 for example.
  • matt88uk
    matt88uk Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Monroe121 wrote: »
    Hi all.

I’ve finally hit a plateau. I thought I’d be super sad, but I’m actually super motivated to get out of this state. I lost 30 pounds (which was from drastically changing my eating). I’ve slowly incorporated some things back into my lifestyle, which are responsible for my plateau state.

Would you mind offering some exercise advice that may help? I love running, biking, cross training, etc. I’m not afraid to throw myself into anything fitness wise; that’s how I’ll change and grow. Thanks for reading.

-Roe.
    You can only hit a plateau if you are eating same calories to maintain your weight or your activities levels have dropped recalculate your bmr and then either eat those calories it says or up your activity :) Google calculator.net and it will tell you what calories to eat to lose gain
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you lost weight? How are you measuring your calorie intake? How are you measuring your exercise calories and how much, if any, of them do you eat back?
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Eat fewer calories!
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Awesome perspective!!

I suggest some HIIT and some full body weight training. However, you'll have to find something that is enjoyable to you. :) Good luck. You got this!
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    do you really think you're in a plateau or just slowing down? I only say that because I lost the first 40lbs in 4 months and then the next 15-20 over the last 4. When I weigh in, I feel like I'm seeing the same numbers over and over, but when I pull my progress for the last 30 days (no matter which 30 day time period I choose), I'm still consistently losing, just at a slower 5lb/month pace. It took a while to be ok with that, but I have to be because I don't want to increase my deficit any further while I'm lifting and running.

• ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    ^ agreed, most likely your rate of loss is just slowing. also, 30 pounds lost will alter the amount of calories your body needs, have you gone into your settings and saved them so that MFP will re-calculate your deficit based on your new weight?
  • Monroe121
    Monroe121 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    Awesome perspective!!

I suggest some HIIT and some full body weight training. However, you'll have to find something that is enjoyable to you. :) Good luck. You got this!

Thank you so much for motivating me. I appreciate it.
  • Monroe121
    Options
    mrp56839 wrote: »
    do you really think you're in a plateau or just slowing down? I only say that because I lost the first 40lbs in 4 months and then the next 15-20 over the last 4. When I weigh in, I feel like I'm seeing the same numbers over and over, but when I pull my progress for the last 30 days (no matter which 30 day time period I choose), I'm still consistently losing, just at a slower 5lb/month pace. It took a while to be ok with that, but I have to be because I don't want to increase my deficit any further while I'm lifting and running.

Interesting way to consider this. Hmmm thanks for making me think that way. Well, I will definitely reconsider that way I look at this. I know I have to get my BMI down in 2 1/2 months, before I go back to the doctor.
  • Monroe121
    Options
    ^ agreed, most likely your rate of loss is just slowing. also, 30 pounds lost will alter the amount of calories your body needs, have you gone into your settings and saved them so that MFP will re-calculate your deficit based on your new weight?

I will recalculate some things. Thank you for suggesting that.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Hi Roe,
    Great job so far. As others have mentioned, you are probably not in an actual plateau but just seeing a slowing of your weight loss. If you're not already doing it, make sure you are weighing all solid foods on a food scale, using grams is best, and measuring all liquids with measuring spoons and cups. It will help tighten up your calorie counts. I also think that if you enjoy it some HIIT and strength training could be really good for you.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I got into the habit of calculating my average daily weight loss. For the first several months it was over 0.4 lb/day. For the most recent month it's fallen below 0.4/day. My food is no different. My exercise is more intense. With my weight falling, my TDEE is lower and my calorie needs are lower so my 'food is no different' is actually a larger percentage of my TDEE than before, so it shows up as a lower average daily weight loss. It's ok. As long as the 30-day chart is showing a loss, it's ok.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Monroe121 wrote: »

I will recalculate some things. Thank you for suggesting that.

Do you use TrendWeight? Another user here suggested it as a great way of observing trends and overall patterns. You might find that your plateau, as another wise user suggested, is really just a more mellow rate of weight loss.