Always Over on my Sugar Limits

Options
I have been keeping track of the limits for calories, fat, carb, potassium, fiber, etc. I have been pretty good about keeping within the recommended limits on each nutrition category.

EXCEPT, I am CONSTANTLY over on my sugar by usually twice the amount. It almost seems impossible to stay under or at 24 grams. I am even using sugar substitute with everything but a lot of foods naturally have sugar.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Does going over on the sugar mean I will less likely be losing weight? Please advise!!!

Melissa

Replies

• Mlieb
    Mlieb Posts: 121
    Options
    I have been keeping track of the limits for calories, fat, carb, potassium, fiber, etc. I have been pretty good about keeping within the recommended limits on each nutrition category.

EXCEPT, I am CONSTANTLY over on my sugar by usually twice the amount. It almost seems impossible to stay under or at 24 grams. I am even using sugar substitute with everything but a lot of foods naturally have sugar.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Does going over on the sugar mean I will less likely be losing weight? Please advise!!!

Melissa
  • bigjug1967
    Options
    Sugars in certain foods are god for you and you need to know where they come from and go from there... You are doing great though really.:smile:
  • stephaniek
    Options
    Hi, I'm not sure where you learned that 24 g was a sugar limit...on a 2000 kcal diet it is around 40 grams, however, the bottom line is calories in/calories burned for weight loss. I hope you are not foregoing beneficial fruits and vegetables to lower your sugar intake. I have to commend you for being so vigilant...you must be making some pretty good choices if you are aiming for 24 g. I'm a dietitian that eats a primarily whole foods, organic diet and I just checked my sugars and they are considerably higher than 24 g. I do admit to eating a bit of chocolate (helloooo, I am on this site for a reason!) and other foods that I could substitute with better ones, but I also find that if I deprive myself I binge later on bad choices. Keep up the good work and cut yourself some slack in the sugar department:flowerforyou:
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I think stephaniek hit the nail on the head there. I especially agree that you can't completely deprive yourself of the 'bad' foods, the sweet snacks and such - it's just like everything else in life, everything in moderation. Congrats on being so good about staying on track though, keep up the good work!
  • Mlieb
    Options
    Based on a 1,200 calorie diet (recommended to lose a pound a week), it states that the limit for sugar is 24 grams. When I am in my food diary, there is a "setting" tab that lets you choose which nutirent come up on your food diary (i.e. calories, fat, carb, potass, fiber, etc). I regularly go thru each setting to identify if I am deficient in any area, then try to find a food that would help fill that gap.

I have lost 5 pound in three weeks so I think that I may be doing something right but noticed that I was ALWAYS over on my sugar.

I will just keep doing what I have been doing and keep my fingers crossed. THanks for your responses and support!!!!! You guys are awesome!

Melissa
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Unless you are on a low-carb diet, you will be over on your sugar. Everyone is. I don't worry about it. I don't think there is such a thing as too much fruit :happy:
  • Mlieb
    Options
    I feel better. Thanks!:smile:
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. Everything else is right where is should be except sugar but most of my sugar is coming from fruits or cereal.