Hello from a fat naive UK newbie

Options
After wondering why my 2XL clothes had started to shrink in the wash, I dug out the bathroom scales and fitted a new battery. I almost had a seizure when I stood on them and the display read 20st 11lbs.

What? Only morbidly obese people weigh that much.

I checked my BMI - I was morbidly obese. I forced myself to stand in front of my wife's full length mirror and look. What I saw was not a pretty sight; in fact it was so un-pretty that frankly it disgusted me.

So, I resolved to do something about it, and here I am. I started on June 2nd, and the main thing which shocked me were the calories in certain foods. 533 for an individual steak pie, and similar for a pasty??

I sometimes had muesli for breakfast to be "good", so I weighed my normal bowlful - 210 grams!! That is about 800 calories before I even added the milk. Good heavens.

I have resolved not to go on a specific diet, but to just cut right down on my portion size and see if I can get away with it. I have to admit that I do not have a sweet tooth, so that cakes, sweets and chocolates are not a problem; but pork pies, sausage rolls and corned beef sandwiches are, and they are out.

I understood certain things were high in calories, but not how high. This site is a godsend, as I can see immediately my quota for the day and how much a high calorie meal will take out of that quota.

Nine days in and the scales now read 20st 5lbs, which is 6lbs down and getting closer to removing the sight of 20st+ coming up on the scales. It seems to be working, and if I swap 100g of Alpen for two Weetabix at breakfast, I can cut back even more.

Jonny

Replies

• weightliftingbarbie
    weightliftingbarbie Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Welcome jonny, 6lb is an amazing start well done, best of luck on your journey!
  • xFoodJunkyx
    xFoodJunkyx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    wow 6lb in 9 days..well done!! give your self a pat on the back..keep up the good work :)
  • annapage38
    annapage38 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    That's great lovely! Feel free to add me... I was in exactly the same position. I've made some great friends here who have helped me to lose 23+kg in my 150 days of being here!
    Welcome to the ride!
  • MinaHamadache
    MinaHamadache Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Jonny,

Just wanted to say good luck from sunny Buckinghamshire. Sounds like you're off to a good start...keep us updated!
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Welcome! My motorcycle was built in the UK.
  • awilliams0209
    awilliams0209 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I am from Indiana, USA, and I am restarting my journey (for the 100th time
  • ianwilson67
    ianwilson67 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    you are more or less in the same boat as me jonny, i realised something was going on when i was finding it hard to find clothes that fit me, until i stood on the scales and weighed 20st 7lbs, my first thought was "i was half that weight on my wedding day!" so up i got and on my journey now, a stone lost in 5 weeks. funny thing is, i'm not a big eater, just the wrong things i think and beer too but hey ho, here we go! good luck on your journey.
  • ianwilson67
    Options
    i gave up all white things (bread, pasta. rice, pastries) and replaced with high protein food like cod and turkey, if i fancy a sandwich i put the filling in between two roasted portabello mushrooms instead of bread buns, and for wraps i use a large lettuce leaf in place of a tortilla wrap and roll ip some turkey breast and light mayonaisse. thinking out of the box works with me i believe, im in yorkshire by the way.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Welcome, and good luck.

There's definitely a learning curve, but it sounds like you're off to a good start.
  • JonnyJonny5555
    JonnyJonny5555 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Apparently 6lb in 9 days is good, but it seems that a lot of the loss might just be water. However, it is good for morale.

I agree about the beer thing PaulHolliday1, that is 70% of my problem. Once I have a beer, it leads to 4 or 5; so I have cut them out completely at present.

I can't remember how much I weighed on my wedding day, but just over half of my current weight would not be far off. I have cut out a lot of carbs, and increased my consumption of fish and substituted Quorn mince in dinners such as bolognese.

If I can get to 19st 13lbs by the end of June I will be delighted.
  • Satah1502
    Satah1502 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good work :)
  • ianwilson67
    Options
    try red wine and diet lemonade to replace the beer jonny, a bottle of red wine has as many calories as 2 pints of lager. considering i drank 8 pints a night previously i think its a step in the right direction.
  • DaShumps
    DaShumps Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jonny ~ looks like you're off to an amazing start :smile: And PaulHolliday1 awesome tips.. wouldn't of thought of the portobello mushrooms or lettuce even though if seen on a menu I would of order without hesitating and well, not beer or red wine here ~ Chardonnay is my villian. Not a big eater myself and tend to lean more towards the salty side. Like Jonny, I don't crave the sweets ~ unless it's a beautiful day out and there is a frozen Mikes Hard Black Cherry Lemonade in the picture ;) I'm training myself to eat healthier and incorporate 4-5 smaller meals a day as if I don't log it I can easily miss a meal completely. Joined this site beginning of March and impressed with how helpful and friendly everyone is.

Good luck on your journeys and feel free to "friend" me if you're interested in a new MFP buddy :smiley:
  • GetfitDrinkwine
    GetfitDrinkwine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Added! :)
  • JonnyJonny5555
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

If I can get to 19st 13lbs by the end of June I will be delighted.

Well, I was 20st 0lbs this morning, so with 12 days to go I think that I might manage it.

Onwards and downwards hopefully....
  • JonnyJonny5555
    Options
    i gave up all white things (bread, pasta. rice, pastries) and replaced with high protein food like cod and turkey, if i fancy a sandwich i put the filling in between two roasted portabello mushrooms instead of bread buns,

I have gained the habit of putting the filling between two lettuce leaves. Seems to work quite well, especially with a slice of ham or slices of boiled egg, although I have to choose the shape of lettuce leaf correctly or the egg starts to fall out.

When I get to 19st I might allow myself a slice of smoked salmon - yum.
  • SliverBulletsUK
    SliverBulletsUK Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Seriously Awesome job!

Keep it up and keep working hard !
  • katie22mfp
    katie22mfp Posts: 386 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    After wondering why my 2XL clothes had started to shrink in the wash, I dug out the bathroom scales and fitted a new battery. I almost had a seizure when I stood on them and the display read 20st 11lbs.

What? Only morbidly obese people weigh that much.

I checked my BMI - I was morbidly obese. I forced myself to stand in front of my wife's full length mirror and look. What I saw was not a pretty sight; in fact it was so un-pretty that frankly it disgusted me.

So, I resolved to do something about it, and here I am. I started on June 2nd, and the main thing which shocked me were the calories in certain foods. 533 for an individual steak pie, and similar for a pasty??

I sometimes had muesli for breakfast to be "good", so I weighed my normal bowlful - 210 grams!! That is about 800 calories before I even added the milk. Good heavens.

I have resolved not to go on a specific diet, but to just cut right down on my portion size and see if I can get away with it. I have to admit that I do not have a sweet tooth, so that cakes, sweets and chocolates are not a problem; but pork pies, sausage rolls and corned beef sandwiches are, and they are out.

I understood certain things were high in calories, but not how high. This site is a godsend, as I can see immediately my quota for the day and how much a high calorie meal will take out of that quota.

Nine days in and the scales now read 20st 5lbs, which is 6lbs down and getting closer to removing the sight of 20st+ coming up on the scales. It seems to be working, and if I swap 100g of Alpen for two Weetabix at breakfast, I can cut back even more.

Jonny

Those big shocks certainly give us a kick up the bum! I'm sure looking in the full length mirror will keep you on track when you want to reach for the naughty treats. A fantastic start! You will soon be in the 19 stones and losing that morbidly obese label. Join my weekly weigh in group if you wish!
  • JonnyJonny5555
    Options
    Thanks Katie. Looking at the health service website, I would need to get below 15 and a half stone in order to be rid of the obese label on BMI, although I would still be overweight. That is almost another 5 stone to go just to be overweight - it seems a long way away.
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi Jonny. Well done. You have made a fantastic start and finding MFP was the perfect thing to do. I have lost 50lbs so far this year and my husband has lost 80lbs, so it is do-able :-) We are in the UK too!
    We eat low carb, but that's not for everyone. Just find something that works for you and gives you a steady weekly loss and just stick with it. Time & patience pay dividends.