Newbie!!

Options
I am new to this site and really need to lose weight because my blood pressure is borderline and my cholesterol is slightly high. My father and brother both had heart attacks before they were 35 and I am currently 33. I am looking for support and was wondering if there are any recipes on this website and where they are if so.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Just google healthy recipes. You will find ton of sites that have healthy ideas. Welcome and good luck.
    I use dlife.com, cookinglight.com, eatingwell.com, mayoclinic.com/healthyrecipes.
    There is a recipe section here if you go to the home page under message boards and look for the recipe blog. You'll find them.
  • sailorr
    sailorr Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks! I will try those!
  • bella0730
    bella0730 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am also new to the site and while I may not know about recipes on this site I do know a site with some fabulous recipes. I used to be on weight watchers and I used skinnytaste.com all the time. Everything I have made off of the site is delicious and she breaks down all the nutritional info of each recipe. My husband who hates "healthy" food has also thoroughly enjoyed everything i have made from the site. it doesnt taste like healthy cardboard food and I have enjoyed trying new things! Hope this helps! Good luck with your weight loss!
  • jerobins
    jerobins Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody I am a newbie from Arizona. I have been doing the weight loss thing on my own. I started this last June after we came back from vacation seeing out daughter and her family. She got me started and things just took off for me. I am down 46 pounds and I didn't have to give up any of my favorite foods. I do weigh,measure and write down everything I eat and drink. I am starting on my third journal. I am hoping to learn some new recipes and meet more new people.

later, AZG-MOM
  • delmore1
    delmore1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend. I am in a similar situation health wise, plus my doctor has diagnoised me a pre diabetic. I've been using the site and really like it. I've been reaching out to others on this site for support as well. Everyone is very helpful and will help keep you motivated. Good luck!
  • Gdzgal771
    Gdzgal771 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    hi-i'm a newbie thanks to my daughter. i have had weight issues for years. a large part has always been stress and going to the refrigerator for comfort. growing up our family always used food in celebrations etc. (unfortunately all were great cooks.) my mom is diabetic. i am morbidly obese and lead a very sedentary life. most of my hobbies/interests are sit down things. i am an aspiring writer of kids books and i have yet to find a way to type without sitting that makes sense! my blood pressure is high. my husband is disabled and neither one of us are easily motivated. i am blind and have been diagnosed with arthritis in my spine and knee which makes it hard to get around. wherever i go and whatever i do, i have to depend on someone else to get me there. i am an encourager that definately needs ENCOURAGEMENT..im glad to be here. hope we can help each other..hugz to all and God bless
  • losewightfast
    Options
    Hello...Altho I have been utilizing the food and exercise journals now for about a month I consider myself a "newbie" because I don' t know all the different ways this site can benefit me. I need to loose 50 pounds for health reasons and can use all the support, advise and help I can get. Looking forward to being part of the myfitnesspal community.
  • jerobins
    Options
    Hey we are all here to help each other. Feel free to ask me anything and I hope I can help in some way. Having my journals have been really good. If I think I am in a rut I go back and look through them. I also weigh in every Monday morning and write it at the top of the page for that week. I even circle it. LOL!!! Some Mondays are good ones and some are not. :smile:
    So I like to journal, plus it keeps me Honest.

AZG-MOM
  • jerobins
    Options
    I make a great low cal cucumber salad.

Creamy Cucumber Salad

1/2 cup fat free palin yogurt 55 cal
    1/4 cup thin sliced onion 30 cal
    3 cups thin sliced cucumbers 45 cal
    1/2 teaspoon dry dill
    3 Tablespoons of Red Wine Vinegar
    2 to 3 packs of Splenda
    salt and pepper if you want

I mix it all together and let it sit over night . 130 calories total

For cake mixes, I use 1 can of diet soda and nothing else, bake as directed. Sometimes I add nuts then it ups the calories but not by much. You can then figure out the calories.

Hope these two recipes help.
  • Emily4H
    Emily4H Posts: 170
    Options
    welcome anf good luck with your journey. I lost my brother at 35 to a heart attack and he was not even really over-weight - so I hear what you are saying. MFP is great and everyone here is super supportive. I know you will do awesome!!!