Sweet things and chocolate under your calorie count

Options
Hello all... Question, I have a calorie count goal of 1900.. if at the end of the day I finish up with 500 to spare... is it OK to fuel my sweet tooth with chocolate biscuits etc while keep below the daily goal...

J

Replies

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I'm perfectly fine with you eating that.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Is it "OK" in what sense?

Will it hurt your weight loss efforts? No.

Will it hurt your health? Only if you're regularly doing this and it is crowding out foods that contain other nutrients that you need from your diet.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    500 calories may be a bit much. 500/1900 = 26%. Just make sure you are not shortchanging protein.

I DO leave room for snacks - Ghiradelli chocolate squares Yum!
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Yes. Chocolate is a health food. A mental health food :)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend eating 500 calories of sweets on a regular basis, but having an occasional sweet treat helps me feel less like I'm denying myself the foods I like. But I've also found that the less sugar I eat, the less I crave it. I often have a square of dark chocolate after dinner (about 65-75 calories depending on the brand), but a year ago I would have wanted an entire candy bar. If you're regularly finding yourself 500 calories under your goal, I'd recommend adding more nutrient-rich foods to your diet to keep you from feeling hungry and make sure you're meeting your nutrient needs.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Are we debating whether you should have something sweet within your goals? Odd. But I say yes, do it. Have a treat. 500 calories does sound a bit much on a daily basis, unless it's something sweet and chocolately and nutritious like chocolate covered nuts.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Are we debating whether you should have something sweet within your goals? Odd. But I say yes, do it. Have a treat. 500 calories does sound a bit much on a daily basis, unless it's something sweet and chocolately and nutritious like chocolate covered nuts.

This seems to be one of those common mistakes where OP posts in the wrong area.
  • jblon83
    jblon83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I need something sweet everyday. I piece of chocolate or hard candy but I do everyday. That's keeps me going and I stay within goal.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my chocolate chip cookies. I am losing weight anyway.

As long as you get your nutrients, how you fill your calories is up for grabs and your body doesn't really care.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    jaym619 wrote: »
    Hello all... Question, I have a calorie count goal of 1900.. if at the end of the day I finish up with 500 to spare... is it OK to fuel my sweet tooth with chocolate biscuits etc while keep below the daily goal...

J

why wouldn't it be?
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I usually spend around 450 for something sweet, but that's most of my exercise calories.

I try to spend my "base" calories on more macro friendly foods.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I blow between 100-260 calories on mini cups of ice cream several times per week. It keeps me pleasant.