Vegetables

I really don't like them. Except for green beans. Anybody else that just doesn't like vegetables? Any creative ways to get yourself to eat them?

Replies

• lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Have you tried roasting them? It's a game changer.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Sauteed in bacon fat. The food of gods.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    I was going to say roasting them too! Toss a little broccoli or cauliflower in some olive oil and salt and put it in a 400 degree oven on a cookie sheet until it starts to brown up. Heaven!
  • TheBlizz35
    TheBlizz35 Posts: 142 Member
    I love raw zucchini noodles with pasta sauce. Easy way to get veggies in and it pretty easy. I have a spiralizer, but you could also just shred them with a shredder or purchase a handheld spiralizer tool for around $10-15.

The noodles are a great consistency, very mild in taste and no cooking for me is perfect for summer especially. I don't even both heating the sauce some times, but it's an easy quick meal.
  • CatFan1019
    CatFan1019 Posts: 37 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try them.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I've found that even if I don't like vegetables one way that I may like them another. For example, I hate raw broccoli but love it steamed with just a little butter and salt. It's a texture thing for me. So trying different vegetables roasted is a good idea but you might try them other ways, as well. Many people hate brussel sprouts but my husband has found a way to cook them that makes them very tasty; it involves bacon fat at the end. Sometimes it's as simple as adding a cheese or other sauce to them.

Try to experiment a bit. Buy a vegetable and try it three different ways during the week. If you really dislike it all three ways then move on and try another one. Our tastes change as we get older so just because you may have "always" disliked something doesn't mean you still will.
  • TheBlizz35
    TheBlizz35 Posts: 142 Member
    TheBlizz35 wrote: »
    I love raw zucchini noodles with pasta sauce. Easy way to get veggies in and it pretty easy. I have a spiralizer, but you could also just shred them with a shredder or purchase a handheld spiralizer tool for around $10-15.

The noodles are a great consistency, very mild in taste and no cooking for me is perfect for summer especially. I don't even both heating the sauce some times, but it's an easy quick meal.

OMG -- mortified with the typos in the original post. Clearly I was distracted as I typed because I really do know how to contstruct senctences. :D. Wish they'd let us edit beyond the hour mark. Anyway good luck. :)
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Hot sauce
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    * Roasted in the oven with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper
    * Grilled kabobs (I use red onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash)
    * Pureed cauliflower mixed with a little skim milk, a touch of butter, and a little parmesan makes an incredible "Alfredo sauce"- I found a great recipe online but I can't remember the site (I'm sure you can Google it though- try Cauliflower Cream Sauce- I think it was apinchofyum.com or something like that.)
    * Mashed cauliflower (instead of mashed potato)
    * Zucchini grated and blended with eggs for omelets or quiches- it bulks up the egg and you can't really taste the zucchini since it's blended in
    * Sneak them in sauces, pureed or diced.

Also, if there are certain veggies you think you hate make sure you've tried fresh versions of them. I love fresh veggies, and most frozen ones, but I hate hate HATE canned veggies except corn. Try different ways of cooking fresh veggies too. I've always hated avocado but after many years realized it's just a texture thing- I hate chunks of the stuff but loooove guacamole!
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    edited June 2016
    Roasting me is the easiest and arguably best way to eat them. Try to get some vegetable cookbooks. There are so many things you can do with vegetables to make them taste good, if you want to do that. Where there's a will, there's a way!
  • melloneill16
    melloneill16 Posts: 38 Member
    Add them to your smoothies, I can't even taste spinach with my banana, almond butter, unsweet almond milk and chia seed smoothie..yum!