How long should it Take to Lose 30lbs

Options
Shadyhuero805
Shadyhuero805 Posts: 97 Member
edited June 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
5'9 206. Male. 1650 cal goal. 1000 deficit. Weights/cardio 3-5 days a week. Whatcha think people ??? And when should i revise my calorie intake ( at what weight )....

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're actually hitting a 1,000 cal per day average deficit you could reasonably expect to lose about 2lbs per week.

If you track your weight and food through MFP it will automatically adjust your suggested intake based on your new weight. 1,650 sounds a bit low to me if you're hitting the gym with any intensity.
  • Shadyhuero805
    Options
    I agree. It seems low..especially if i lose 15 pounds. That means i would haveto go lower on calories.
  • ulcaster555
    ulcaster555 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I actually went to 1500 cal/day, gradually added exercises
  • dicknewlove
    dicknewlove Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You might try doing the 5/2 diet for a more gradual weight loss; it also means you'll still have the energy to hit the gym on the non-fast days. Slow and steady wins the race. I was over 250 pounds (and your height) and I've been slow and steady down to 220 over six months, without, and this is the important part, without putting the weight back on. You also need to think about the sustainability of keeping that regime up; what happens when you hit your ideal weight? Check this link out about how realistic 2lbs a week is:
    http://www.coachcalorie.com/is-losing-2lbs-per-week-realistic-for-everyone/
    Of course, it all depends on you and how your body reacts - if what you're doing works, keep doing it!
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    This is just how I would approach it:

I'd go for a 1000 calorie deficit for the first 15lbs and then scale that back to a 500 calorie deficit for the final 15 pounds. The last pounds will be harder as your at a lower bodyfat percentage so it is better to take the slow and less painful route IMO. I'd also see it as a way to transition into maintenance instead of going from the large deficit to maintenance overnight. Additionally, I'd have a closer goal to reach for and would be satisfied with my resultant 15 pounds of weight loss when i do reach it. So first phase would be 8 weeks, second phase would be 15 weeks.

Just an idea though- you can take your weigh loss anyway you want.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    In general, you want to keep weight loss at/under 1% of your bodyweight per week. So 2lb/week would be fine now, but you should probably slow it down a little bit a month or so in.

I started at 220lb and went for 2lb/week until I hit slightly under 200lb then switched to 1.5lb/week for a while, then 1lb/week, then 0.5lb/week and then finally eating whatever I want and regaining 2-3lb :smile:

1650 sounds a little low if you are doing both cardio and weight lifting. I ate ~1700-1800 when I started but I only lifted 3x/week and I did play Ultimate 1x/week but otherwise I didn't do cardio. You can always play it out for a few weeks and if you are losing weight too fast eat a bit more food.
  • Shadyhuero805
    Options
    Gym 3-5 days a week. Cardio/strength ..about an hour. And im not losing weight fast... But input my food.. And intermittent fasting