Hello All

I'm new here as are the rest of us under this topic. These are the fitness goals the website program set for me automatically when I entered my weight and how much I wanted to loose per week (1/2 lb as per my Drs recommendation). I know I need to increase my activity rate quite a bit (I sit at a desk all day), but until my hip/leg stops hurting and this whatever-the-hell it is illness goes away I can only do what I can do (I have had laryngitis for a week now). So to start out these goals are pretty modest – for now anyway. Therefore, this time next year I should be 26 lbs lighter – Be’ezrat Hashem (Hebrew for G-d willing or with the help of G-d). We would all like it if I could lose it faster, but I trust my DR. and she said to do it more slowly than I have in the past and I will have a better chance to keep it off. (Even though I can gain it really easy – it seems like I just think of food and gain a pound!)

When I was 17 I thought I was fat (because I was fat in grade school that image never went away), I got married at age 27, at 132 lbs and a size 8 and believed I was fat – I wanted to be 117 lbs like I was in high school. I see how girls get annorexia. I think my dieting attempts at that age made things worse for me by lowering my metabolism. My life was so different back then, when I was 17 my friend and I would ride our bikes 10 miles to the mountain reservation, hike to the top, swim in the lake, sit in the sun, then we’d hike back down, and ride the 10 miles home. We did that a couple times a month and sometimes cut school to have a day in the mountains. I know I can never be a teenager again, but I’d like to at least enjoy my life.

After I got married and the honeymoon was over (boy was it over) I got so depressed I gained 100 lbs. I have spent the rest of my life trying to lose it. I went up and down – lose 10, gain 20, lose 20, gain 30, the last time at least I lost 50 and only gained back 40 – big whoop. But now I am discouraged to the point where I have just given up. I see some people about the same age as me, they are active and fit, and last week I could hardly cross the street – I want to cry. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

When I was 27 we had just returned from our honeymoon in September 1989 and already I had gained 10 lbs. Before I got married I went on a very restrictive diet and got myself from a size 12 down to a size 8, I was miserable the whole time. When I hit 142 lbs I went to my Dr. for help, her answer was ‘don’t worry about it you’re just comfortable now’ – some BS that was. My current partner and I are looking into Tai Chi and other programs to get us both moving, I am at the point where I don’t want to pay another person, gym, or program to help me lose weight as it has all been money down the drain for the past 25 years of my life! If I had a nickle for every dollar I wasted on weight loss attempts I would have a pretty good sum of cash today! Anyway I am rambling here, I guess it comes from not being able to talk for 7 days now, I am letting it out here. :smile:

Replies

• lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    wow you had me at "when I was 17 I thought I was fat"!! Amazing huh, because when you are not the same size as the other girls, somehow something is wrong with you! Oh man, I am glad you are here because there is a lot of support. I fall, I get up, I fall, and these faithful friends I have on MFP are still here to support me! Good luck on your journey!
  • BrachaRadin
    BrachaRadin Posts: 4 Member
    thank you for this. I feel that I have fallen and I CAN'T GET UP. I really did think I was fat at 117 lbs and age 17 because from about the 3rd grade to the 8th grade I was a porker and all the kids made fun of me. I heard it all, now a days, more kids are fat so I guess not as much teasing goes on. But back in the late 60's/early 70's there were far fewer fat kids so I was 'different'. I was teased incessantly and ostracized as well. :cry: oh well, that past is just that - past and we must move onward and upward - from the bottom there is no place to go BUT UP! :bigsmile: