Am I getting enough protein?

Options
Hey you all, I've tried searching the forum for an answer to wether I'm getting enough protein but I didn't really understand the answers :smile:. I'm wondering if I'm getting enough protein? I'm 20 and 76 kg (167 lbs), and I'm 1m66 (5'5). I've been logging for 2 weeks now and I'm in deficit, but only a bit (goal =-0.25 kg/week), which puts me at 1620 kcal.

MFP sets my protein goal at 81, and I've met that only 4 times in the last 14 days. My numbers vary between 29 and 91 with an average of about 65. I'm not eating less protein than I used to before using MFP. For exercise I try to follow a fitness class twice a week, mostly Zumba or a BBB class. I also do a lot by bike (mostly about 20-30 min a day in total). I eat back part of my exercising kcal.

I eat fish twice a week and I do eat meat but I just don't like it, so most of the time it'll be chicken, or a very small portion (about 100 g). Also, I always learned that eating much protein isn't healthy. I do not eat cheese but like milk and yogurt. For environmental reasons, I do not eat tuna. Also, I try to not radically change my eating pattern, which already included a lot of veggies and fruit and freshly cooked meals. I want to eat healthy, natural products, so I'm not up for protein shakes or bars (or peanut butter, no one eats that here) if I don't really have to.

Question is: am I not eating enough protein? And does that mean that I haven't been eating enough protein for years? Do I absolutely have to increase my protein intake, and if so, any suggestions?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I think it is recommended you take about .8g of protein per KG of body weight. So your recommended intake is at about 60.8g. However, I think that is for sedentary people. If you are active, I would try to keep at the recommendation that MFP gave you.

If you don't like meat, then try beans or tofu for your protein source. Do you like greek yogurt? That is a good source of protein.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    What about eggs? Good source of protein.

I'm same height as you and my protein ranges between 80-100g daily on a 1450cal goal. I have eggs every morning, some shredded chicken wraps for lunch and usually some meat for dinner. My higher days usually include a protein shake after my workouts (I find I'm not as sore the next day if I get 100g on workout days).
  • feliciaamanda
    feliciaamanda Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would try to eat more protein as it keeps you full longer than carbs does