Vegetarian/Vegan Protein Options?

Options
witchyzeeluh
witchyzeeluh Posts: 16 Member
edited June 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hi there! I am a vegetarian and I would love to hear from others whats your favorite source of protein? I'm looking to change it up but still get my protein in since I'm trying to watch macros and without overdoing it on the carbs at the same time. :sweat_smile:

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I get most of my protein from tofu, tempeh, seitan, beans (I especially like black beans and lentils), grains, vegetables, and the occasional smoothie with protein powder.

I don't really worry about carbohydrates -- if I'm meeting my needs for protein and fat, I know the carbs will take care of themselves.
  • chriskalen
    chriskalen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Greek or icelandic yogurt!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian or Vegan?

Because that will change the responses dramatically. Not suprisingly there are A LOT more options if it's just "vegetarian".
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    We eat meat but not a lot.

Beans beans beans!
    Eggs
    Tofu
    Whey powder
    Quinoa

• feliciaamanda
    feliciaamanda Posts: 7 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian, but I eat mostly vegetarian food. Apart from meat I get protein from eggs, eggwhites (bottled), whey powder, quorn, beans, lentils, chick peas (hummus <3 ), milk and quark
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Vegetarian or Vegan?

Because that will change the responses dramatically. Not suprisingly there are A LOT more options if it's just "vegetarian".

This.
    Personally, I eat eggs, but that is the only animal protein that I will eat. The rest of my protein comes from beans/lentils/chick peas, some tofu (I try to limit my tofu intake) and sometimes vegan protein powder. But mostly eggs and beans/lentils.
  • NaturalStyleSista
    NaturalStyleSista Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been using Pea Protein Powder lately and I love it. I also have been trying Vega Protein powder as well as a vegan option to try and get away from strictly using Soy Protein Isolate and Whey Protein Isolate. I've been on a mission to reduce my animal proteins and increase my plant based proteins. There is also textured vegetable protein (soy based) that you can purchase at places like Whole Foods or Trader Joes if you have them in your area, if not you can purchase online. You can search at the Vitamin Shop for vegetable protein products, they have a good selection. I also use a lot of Egg Whites, Tofu, Vegan Cheese (Daiya, Follow Your Heart, etc.).
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Im neither vegan or vegetarian but my go to source of vegan protein is my protein powder i buy the brand vega plant based protein + greens. Its plant based protein and has 2 servings on green veggies in every scoop. You can get it at walmart
  • tofuligan
    tofuligan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Add me if you want-- I post vegetarian tips everyday and would love more veggie friends!

My favorite is tempeh, but all sorts of beans and chickpeas are my staples, supplemented with nuts and seeds. As long as you're eating a well balanced and -varied- diet that includes whole grains and plenty of veggies, you should be in good shape.
  • darkenergie
    darkenergie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Lentils, beans (look up explore asian, they make great high protein pasta from beans/legumes), seitan, sometimes TVP and tofu. I also use pea protein powder in soups/chilis/curry, and MRM veggie elite protein powder if I fall significantly short of my protein/on a road trip. If you are eating alot of whole grains and green veggies, those will also give some incremental protein as well. You can certainly find ways to hit your protein macros on a vegan diet.