How often do you work out

Options
How often should I be working out to lose weight?

Replies

• aRsenicBleu
    aRsenicBleu Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    3 to 5 days. 30 minutes to an hour.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    See next reply.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    To more accurately answer your question, the answer is ZERO. You lose weight by getting into a calorie deficit and remaining in a calorie deficit for an extended time. Exercise is for cardiovascular fitness and strength building. Building muscle actually requires weight gain, even while the outcome is better fitness. If you want to improve your cardiovascular fitness, you need to do at least 20 minutes of 70% max heart rate cardio exercising 3 times each week. I'll let the body-building mavens tell you how to bulk, but it involves progressively heavier lifting of weights and a calorie surplus involving lots of chicken and peanut butter.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    7 days a week 45-90 minutes
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Woops replied to your headline not question. You don't need any exercise to lose weight. It's all about CICO. And that's all
  • argonzalez4
    argonzalez4 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Monday thru Thursday doing Insanity and every other day jogging/running 3/4 miles
  • argonzalez4
    argonzalez4 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I crap I didn't read it right lol .. You can do Monday thru Friday for an hour .. That's what I used to do when I lost 30lbs like a couple years ago
  • sawguoyi923
    sawguoyi923 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Everyday! If BJJ counts as working out
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    For you, depends. If it keeps you in a deficit, you're good.
    For me; accidentally I workout every day of the week (dance teacher) purposefully, I workout 3/4 times a week.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    All day er day (for me). I'm an active person. Skate, wakeboard, snowboard, bmx, hiking, running, calisthenics (barstarzz). I rarely go to the gym.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I agree with the idea that losing weight is all about CICO.

What isn't being mentioned here is if you work out regularly, it really helps keep you inspired to make that work count when you go into the kitchen by making good choices!

To answer the headline question, I do either HIIT (Insanity type programs), mountain bike (high intensity), or strength train (weights) pretty much every single day, and randomly grab a rest day here and there if I feel like my body needs it.

If you are just starting, there is plenty of literature that shows exercising even just 2 days a week will make a major difference in your life. I would recommend not jumping in all at once. Most people who do this don't sustain it. As you start to reap the rewards, you will enjoy your workouts more, and will increase the dosage.

Good luck!
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I try to run at least 3 times per week.
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Intense cardio and strength five to six
    days a week with the other two days being just strength, yoga, and walking
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You don't have to workout to lose weight as others have stated it. It's a simple matter of calories in vs. Calories out.
    The benefit of working out is everything else that it adds. For me weights two to three times a week. Cardio which includes swimming or walking could be 2 to 3 times a week
  • hal1964
    hal1964 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen. It is all about calorie deficit. I would add too cut out sugars, watch your carbs and increase your protein intake. Exercise will help prevent diabetes, heart attacks and strokes. That is all.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    I exercise daily. But the intensity of my exercise varies.
  • elkahosso
    elkahosso Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a muscle building routine 4 days a week for 60-90 minutes a session. After each workout i also hit the treadmill from 30-50 minutes depending on how tired i am from lifting. I also try to go one extra day just for the treadmill at 45-60 minutes.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    How often do you work out
    6 or 7 days a week.
    How often should I be working out to lose weight?
    Somewhere between zero and lots.
  • elkahosso
    elkahosso Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention most of the posters are correct that calories in/calories out in the end is what helps you lose weight. However burning some extra calories in the gym further increases the deficit and seems to have helped me improve my energy levels and such in my daily life.