Is there any truth

Options
Behind holding onto water in hot weather? I've gained 3.5lbs in a week.. I'm completely gob smacked I've been so good. Has to be water but I'm unsure why. It's 28 degrees here. Strange for UK lol so could it be that

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It could be, it could also be hormones, increased salt content, many things effect it.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Thanks.. I don't feel like I've put on 3lbs.. i normally feel it say after a week off counting and I know it's coming lol.. but this was such a shock I haven't stopped crying yet. It's put me back to square 1
  • Projectjustme
    Projectjustme Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I normally have a lot of water retention in hot weather UK based too! Lots of water helps.
  • lisaseager45
    lisaseager45 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    @leahcollete1. This week has been a hard week for me too (uk). Don't think are bodies are use to this humid/ weather. Rain again next week lets see what happens then. Don't be upset keep doing what you are doing and the results will happen ;-)
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    if you seen my progress chart, it has more ups than downs, it looks awful there is no downward trend its a trend of a horizontal line this past year. my body refuses to go below 15 stone - im trying everything.. i thought i cracked it, as in 2 weeks i lost 4.5lbs, then this week gained 3.5lbs back... for no reason whatso ever
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have more water weight in hot weather... if anything I'm likely to be more dehydrated.
    That's when it's actually hot though, not 28C, that's just a nice spring day :)
    You would laugh at my pitiful ability to cope in the cold (at least, what passes for cold here!)

Don't panic though, as others have said weight loss will always go up and down for all kinds of reasons.
    I doubt that the 3.5 will stick around, it would be really hard to put that much fat on in a week, especially when you are eating well.
    Just keep on logging (be as accurate as you can) and you will see a difference in a while.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I gain too in sudden hot weather waves. Has to do with stress I believe. Last week it suddenly went from 27 to 36 degrees and I gained more than 5 pounds in 2 days despite my intake being much lower than usual (busy, no appetite). It evened out after a few days. No use crying over water weight.. You will be much more relaxed if you stop stressing about it.

zksneyu50cf9.png

• leahcollett1
    Options
    the trouble is ill never know whether it is water weight or real weight.. i can never tell.. i keep reviewing and reviewing my food diary to try and see any massive slip ups. if i had a little person on my shoulder saying - yep that gain was water weight, i could easily shrug it off and keep going. the panic resides in what if im doing everything right and its not working. what if im stuck at this weight - i have 2 more stone to lose. this gain has wiped out my last 2 good weeks of losses. thats whats so de motivating. i was the same weight last september. which is nearly a year
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    the trouble is ill never know whether it is water weight or real weight.. i can never tell.. i keep reviewing and reviewing my food diary to try and see any massive slip ups. if i had a little person on my shoulder saying - yep that gain was water weight, i could easily shrug it off and keep going. the panic resides in what if im doing everything right and its not working. what if im stuck at this weight - i have 2 more stone to lose. this gain has wiped out my last 2 good weeks of losses. thats whats so de motivating. i was the same weight last september. which is nearly a year

It's easy to know if it's water or not. It's simple. Have you eaten more than 12000 calories over maintenance in one day? If the answer is no, it's unlikely this is a real gain. If you had more than 12000 calories you would know, trust me. Logging errors happen but it's very very unlikely you would "mistakenly" eat more than 10k calories.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    If you know you've been eating to your allowance then there's no point stressing over what is clearly water weight.
    I'm from UK too and it is humid, my scales are up a few pounds but I don't let it bother me...
    Fluctuations happen all the time for so many reasons.
  • ScotsLass78
    ScotsLass78 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    if you seen my progress chart, it has more ups than downs, it looks awful there is no downward trend its a trend of a horizontal line this past year. my body refuses to go below 15 stone - im trying everything.. i thought i cracked it, as in 2 weeks i lost 4.5lbs, then this week gained 3.5lbs back... for no reason whatso ever

How do you chart your progress? I've just started weighing myself daily on an app which shows the overall trend rather than just an up and down graph. I'm hoping it will smooth out the ups and downs that happen naturally, so if you don't do that yet, it might be worth trying?

It's very hard when a gain knocks your motivation so badly, which then leads to just wanting to give up, but it's hard not to focus on numbers so maybe taking that away will help you relax a bit?
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Try tracking your waist measurement as well (there is somewhere on MFP to do that). That will give you another measure. The books say 5lbs either way is perfectly normal. So unless you have gained that much I wouldn't worry too much. Just take care with your calorie counting, track your exercise (but don't eat back all those exercise calories - they are likely to be overestimated). Keep drinking water and make sure you are regular.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

How do you chart your progress? I've just started weighing myself daily on an app which shows the overall trend rather than just an up and down graph. I'm hoping it will smooth out the ups and downs that happen naturally, so if you don't do that yet, it might be worth trying?

It's very hard when a gain knocks your motivation so badly, which then leads to just wanting to give up, but it's hard not to focus on numbers so maybe taking that away will help you relax a bit?

Agreed. I also converted to weighing daily last year and I found it a good way to get a better idea of what's likely to be water weight, fluctuations due to your monthly cycle, high sodium food etc etc. I found it takes away the fear of the scale and stops the feeling of "waah, I've been been good all week why haven't I lost" that you can get when just weighing weekly.

It's not for everyone and if a gain makes you cry then you might not be ready yet, but I think it's worth giving a go. Weigh first thing in the morning before eating anything and only weigh once (no hopping on multiple times of day e.g to test if you weigh less after a workout etc).
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    Yea I did try weighing every day but it seriously messed with my head I weigh once a week. Thanks for everyone's replies x
  • catsdogsh
    catsdogsh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I was holding 8 pounds of water from humidity once. The Dr took one look at me and prescribed water pills. That night I lost 8 pounds. For some people weather is an issue. It will drain without the pill too, just takes longer.
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You need to drink more water. You drink I think it's half your body weight in ounces and you have to compensate for activity level and whether. The body won't let go of water weight unless you give it more water to replenish it with.