Scale sabotage

Options
traceyc83
traceyc83 Posts: 72 Member
My scale seems to be messing with me. I noticed after I lost my first 20lbs that my weight jumps all over the place. So I started googling to find out if it was normal to weigh yourself in the morning and weigh one thing and then weigh yourself an hour later and have there be a 2-4 pound difference. I'm working out almost every day, I don't eat junk food anymore and I try to drink enough water so I thought maybe it was my scale, so I bought a new one. Same thing happens. So I started experimenting, and this is what I found.
-I weigh more first thing in the morning.
-I weigh more when I don't drink enough water the day before.
-Hormones effect my weight A LOT.
I can't weigh myself during my period because it is extremely inaccurate. The scale tells me I've gained 3 lbs and then a day or two after its gone it tells me I've lost 5 lbs.

It's extremely frustrating because I never really know how much I weigh. I'm doing everything right so I don't know what's going on.
Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• codygish
    codygish Posts: 63 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You may find it helpful to either restrict your use of the scales to once a month or set up an Excel spreadsheet that averages your last 10-14 days if you want to weigh everyday. The average allows you to see the trend in your weight.

The attached screenshot is my Excel sheet - I just fill in my morning weight-ins and the sheet fills in the rest.

wltlldj86lam.jpg

The two week and four week trends are future projections.

• mags8726
    mags8726 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    codygish wrote: »
    You may find it helpful to either restrict your use of the scales to once a month or set up an Excel spreadsheet that averages your last 10-14 days if you want to weigh everyday. The average allows you to see the trend in your weight.

The attached screenshot is my Excel sheet - I just fill in my morning weight-ins and the sheet fills in the rest.

wltlldj86lam.jpg

LOVE your spreadsheet!! Did you find the template online or create it yourself?
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I gain around 2lbs during ovulation, I gain 2-6lbs right before and in the first few days of my period. I got the happy scale app for my phone and it trends your weight loss much like the spreadsheet shown. What an awesome spreadsheet @codygish
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    @codygish I'm so geekin' out at your spreadsheet. Inspired. :)
  • mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    YAAAS. I weigh myself in the mornings. I found that working out and then weighing myself doesn't really do justice because all the water I've drank during the day and the food that I've eaten. I hate scales and I think no matter what one you use (the doctor's office old-school scale to the new and improved digital that measure BF%) they are all flawed so I usually just give/take a couple pounds on what the scale says. One time I found the gym's scale in the locker room that said I was 190.....went home after workout and weighed 179. 11 pound loss within 1.5 hrs. Yeah, right.
    Usually I weigh myself in the mornings after I use the bathroom. You're body is going through a fast, you've exhumed urine that built up in your bladder through the night, and you're taller since your spine spaces out.

Also with scales and posture, if your posture is...well, bad. it will affect your weight.
  • Angelajgay11
    Angelajgay11 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

wltlldj86lam.jpg

A geek after my own heart. When I first started getting control of my eating, I made a similar spreadsheet with all the weight watchers calculations - free weight watchers tracking :smiley:
  • Angelajgay11
    Angelajgay11 Posts: 26 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    YAAAS. I weigh myself in the mornings. I found that working out and then weighing myself doesn't really do justice because all the water I've drank during the day and the food that I've eaten. I hate scales and I think no matter what one you use (the doctor's office old-school scale to the new and improved digital that measure BF%) they are all flawed so I usually just give/take a couple pounds on what the scale says. One time I found the gym's scale in the locker room that said I was 190.....went home after workout and weighed 179. 11 pound loss within 1.5 hrs. Yeah, right.
    Usually I weigh myself in the mornings after I use the bathroom. You're body is going through a fast, you've exhumed urine that built up in your bladder through the night, and you're taller since your spine spaces out.

Also with scales and posture, if your posture is...well, bad. it will affect your weight.

I take a similar approach but I wait until after I workout. Nice to have that sweat loss show up. I figure it's still consistent as long as I always do it the same :wink:

I also don't weigh when I'm PMSing. Why add that stress to my life when I know it's a temporary thing?
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i weigh twice a day every day. I count the weight in the morning as accurate. I weigh at night just to see what it looks like. I can tell by what i weigh at night what i will weigh in the morning fairly accurately. For me its about information. I can see fluctuations, plateaus etc. I have digital scale and if floor is uneven or some bit of whatever under it or if battery is low it messes with me.
  • Hoohoohaa
    Hoohoohaa Posts: 48 Member
    Options

wltlldj86lam.jpg

This^^^. I don't have the 1 and 2 week projections, but I do enter the 5 week projection MFP gives me when I complete a diary entry to compare accuracy.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I know that what I weigh first thing in the morning I will weigh 1.5-2lbs more hours later. Generally I can tell what I'll weigh in the morning by subtracting 2lbs from what I weigh right before bed, kind of cool really!
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I use libra on my phone..same idea as trendweight but for android.
  • traceyc83
    traceyc83 Posts: 72 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    I know that what I weigh first thing in the morning I will weigh 1.5-2lbs more hours later. Generally I can tell what I'll weigh in the morning by subtracting 2lbs from what I weigh right before bed, kind of cool really!

That makes sense, but for me it's the opposite. I weigh more first thing in the morning than I do if I wait an hour to weigh myself. I don't get it.
  • ghfull
    ghfull Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day and only record when I am below the previous low. I'm always trying to beat my lowest weight. This seems to help because I'm not so devastated when it fluctuates.
  • codygish
    Options
    mags8726 wrote: »
    LOVE your spreadsheet!! Did you find the template online or create it yourself?

I went looking for something that would track the metrics I was interested in, but I could not find it. So I took several examples I did find and combined/built on those to get to what I wanted.

It is interesting to watch the variations in weight due to food and exercise.
  • codygish
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hoohoohaa wrote: »
    This^^^. I don't have the 1 and 2 week projections, but I do enter the 5 week projection MFP gives me when I complete a diary entry to compare accuracy.

This is a great idea - Looks like I'll be adding a column to the sheet! :smile:
  • AmandaLawter
    AmandaLawter Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh every single day, sometimes more than once a day. It would completely stress me out when the scale would go up, and I wasn't consistently losing the weight. So, now I only weigh Monday morning and Friday morning. It has REALLY helped! Now, I just bust my butt all week making sure I stay under goal and exercise. Then on Friday, I get excited to see that I'm down! The stress throughout the week was really affecting my weight loss. I know different things work for different people, though. ;)
  • hamstertango
    hamstertango Posts: 129 Member
    Options

[/quote]

This^^^. I don't have the 1 and 2 week projections, but I do enter the 5 week projection MFP gives me when I complete a diary entry to compare accuracy.[/quote]

What's your finding on the MFP 5 week accuracy? I never recorded it but it generally seemed quite accurate for me during the weight loss phase (on normal eating days)
  • ckotick
    ckotick Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    In looking for MyFitness "friends" for exercise and healthy eating support
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!