Testosterone supplements

Options
I have low testosterone, but do not want to get the shots. Has anyone had success or can recommend a good over-the-counter supplement to use?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Short of taking oral anabolic steroids, there's not much, if anything you can do.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If they were effective they would not be available over the counter.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Sorry, does not exist.
  • Jollybeard
    Jollybeard Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    dwatson925 wrote: »
    I have low testosterone, but do not want to get the shots. Has anyone had success or can recommend a good over-the-counter supplement to use?

Your doctor did not recommend the topical gel? It has been effective for me.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Nothing oral or topical will work if you really do have low levels.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    See your doctor to get a prescription. There are other options (I know gel is pretty popular). Do not take over the counter stuff. At best, it's useless, at worst it can do more harm than good.

There is prescription topical that works very well.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Why wouldn't topical work?
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm probably wrong, but I've heard some foods can help. Brazil nuts?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Nutrition should be your very first step.
    Followed by losing weight.
    Fast foods and highly processed packaged foods should be avoided.
    Take a men's multi that include D and zinc.
    Limit added sugars
    Eat healthy fats
    http://www.webmd.com/men/features/can-you-boost-testosterone-naturally
    Your body naturally makes a hormone called DHEA that it can convert to testosterone. DHEA is also available in supplement form. DHEA supplements will do little to raise your testosterone.

• justincooper405
    justincooper405 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If you were diagnosed with low T, you'll probably have to follow the doc's instructions. If your just trying to increase your testosterone levels naturally you can:

Lift heavy weights
    The more sleep the better
    Sex at least once a week increases T
    Avoid alcohol
    A supplement ZMA (Zinc, Magnesium Aspartate, Vitamins B6)
    Adjust your diet

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? I found my production has gone up quite a bit within a month of steady cardio (I recently added resistance training). FYI: I turned 50 in March.
  • DangerouslyEli
    DangerouslyEli Posts: 33 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My best friend is an FTM transgender man, and if there was an over-the-counter way of getting Testosterone, he wouldn't have had to wait 12+ months for a prescription xD

4k9vkeah7dvt.jpg

There are ways to boost natural levels of Testosterone, including diet and weight lifting.
    The above image is intended for transguys who aren't on Testosterone supplements, but you have the added bonus of having X and Y chromosomes.
  • trigden1991
    Options

Topical creams rely on absorption, which is never a constant. Whilst you may increase your levels, they will not be constant which can lead to feeling worse. Plus estrogenic side effects are more likely to occur with fluctuating T levels.
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    There are no over the counter supplements that actually increase testosterone production or available testosterone. Only actual testosterone does this, and it is best injected although other methods work. You want to speak to a doctor about this, as you may find an aromatase inhibitor addresses your issue, but you need to get tested, you need to have a discussion about what options are available to and suitable for you if you do have low T.

You should also do what you can to encourage test production and availability, primarily don't be fat, do resistance training, eat sensible food, avoid estrogen mimicking substances like soy and maybe BPA plastics.

Ultimately however, you need to know if you have low T or your symptoms are for something else, and the only way to know is to get tested and have a consult. Do it and don't wait.
  • Bghere1
    Bghere1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Topicals do work. However one complaint against them is irritation to the skin. Another is the smell, and keeping safe with this stuff on your hands prior to washing. There are lots of statements from the users of stuff like testim and other gels is that over a pretty short period of time the efficacy fades. If you are actually clinically low, see a doc that will let you self inject. man up

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Topical creams rely on absorption, which is never a constant. Whilst you may increase your levels, they will not be constant which can lead to feeling worse. Plus estrogenic side effects are more likely to occur with fluctuating T levels.

I'm on the gel Levels have gone up and seem to stay fairly consistent as it is applied daily. One of the well knocks on shots is that the levels move around between the shots.
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have very high T levels for a woman, do you want some of mine? :D

Seriously dude, just get the shots.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My best friend is an FTM transgender man, and if there was an over-the-counter way of getting Testosterone, he wouldn't have had to wait 12+ months for a prescription xD

4k9vkeah7dvt.jpg

There are ways to boost natural levels of Testosterone, including diet and weight lifting.
    The above image is intended for transguys who aren't on Testosterone supplements, but you have the added bonus of having X and Y chromosomes.

Yep. I was low, eating a super clean diet, lifting for years. Was like 80 on a scale where 150 was low. Did some testing and my strength and vo2 max was in the top 1% for my age group. Doctor couldn't believe it with levels that low

Diet and exercise helps but check with a doctor.
  • trigden1991
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I'm on the gel Levels have gone up and seem to stay fairly consistent as it is applied daily. One of the well knocks on shots is that the levels move around between the shots.

If you understood how half lives worked, you would know that this is not an issue once the desired level is reached!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    you ask this on a weight loss/fitness site ..... not the right place to ask this me thinks!