Support required! Severe constipation ever since diet started.

Options
Hi there,
Has any one experienced constipation while dieting ? I am on a salad diet and basically have two salads, almonds, almond milk, watermelon. And two liters of water. I am on my fifth day today and haven't passed a stool yet! This frightens me to pursue the diet. However I need to lose fast! Will constipation inhibit my weight loss? How to ease it ?

Replies

• AlyssaAnne03
    AlyssaAnne03 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You are barely eating, and you aren't getting enough protein. I'm sure that has to do with it...

Drink more water and walk
  • muhsina89
    muhsina89 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 liters of water Atleast. I initially want to lose a lot in order to exercise. I am not able to do anything else other than walking. Plus I am scared i will put on or not lose weight if I increase my calorie as all I am doing now to aid weight loss is slow walking and calorie deficit. But constipation worries and annoys me
  • LittleSharrie
    LittleSharrie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You're going to need some fibre in that menu then. Bran flakes is one option, cauliflower mash (just streamed cauliflower and some milk or butter to mash) is a low calorie bulk food. Coffee. And water to keep it all moving.
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    You have to add more food in I'm afraid..
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Jeez take care of your body and eat some food. I have had some pretty scary health issues (cancer survivor), and I can tell you what "severe" constipation is, and I can tell you you're doing this to yourself. The scale isn't going to budge with 5 pounds of poop in your colon. Eat better. Period.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    # 1) little to no food = little to no waste (poop)
    # 2) Soluble and Insoluble Fiber (one provides moisture and the other provides volume) google it for which foods
    # 3) Healthy Fats - Olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil or fat from healthy foods
  • LizSmith55
    LizSmith55 Posts: 77 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi @muhsina89. You may want to try a little Citrucel (or something similar) to help you out. I am down 50 lbs since October & there have been bouts of constipation for me (something I have never suffered from) & it usually occurred when I made a drastic change to my diet. I felt like my body needed time to adjust to what I was doing. Please don't give up on your healthy lifestyle change but help it through this transition right now. If you went from eating pizza & Cheetos to rabbit food....your body is putting on the breaks in protest right now. ALL that salad is GOING to come out but it sounds like it needs some help. Like the other poster mentioned though...it does sound like you may need some more protein in there unless on those salads you putting chicken, tuna or steak...(or something like that) & make sure you aren't denying yourself essential calories to sustain yourself. Good luck, those feelings of constipation are awful...grab some extra fiber either by a brand like Citrucel (you just stir it in water & drink it) or something from this list http://greatist.com/health/surprising-high-fiber-foods good luck!! Oh & my little boy suffered from cancer and due to his medication would get constipated ALL the time & his doctor suggested "Pear Nectar" (we found it in the Spanish food section of our supermarket) & it worked like a CHARM and he loved it.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Nuts tend to constipate me. Whenever I eat beans for dinner, it's usually "smooth sailing" the next morning. And, when I started my healthy lifestyle, I would go like every two or three days. You don't tend to go as much when you're eating a lot less. At least that's what I experienced.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough volume to keep your digestive system running. You need more protein, fat, and carbs. The salads are giving you enough fiber regardless of what others are saying.

Get in some solid protein right away and I would suggest a couple cups of popcorn.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    you might try drinking one and ONLY ONE cup of senna tea to get things...err...moving. Do not drink more than one cup even with the same tea bag. It takes time to work...about 10 hours for me...and you should not do it more than once a week...but it will work. I like the "Smooth Move" one...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    # 1) little to no food = little to no waste (poop)
    # 2) Soluble and Insoluble Fiber (one provides moisture and the other provides volume) google it for which foods
    # 3) Healthy Fats - Olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil or fat from healthy foods

This^

http://www.webmd.com/diet/insoluble-soluble-fiber

Movement can speed things along too....go for a walk (if you don't already exercise).

I agree with others....eat more food.....more kinds of food. Drastic temporary changes to lose weight will not help you during maintenance. You need to learn portion control for ALL the foods you will be eating in the future....not just "diet" ones.