Just got a kettlebell

Options
Hi,

I just got a 16kg kettlebell and have been looking up videos of exercises on youtube, Im mainly exercising to lose weight and there is plenty to lose. I thought id ask if there were any experts out there that have a routine I could do on a one day on one day off basis and how id record this on the site.

Replies

• StrengthCoach0702
    StrengthCoach0702 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Steve Maxwell, Mike Mahler, Anthony Delugio are all respected kettlebell instructors. They all have dvd's and youtube pages. Id highly suggest that you make sure you can do ALL the basic movements properly before beginning a routine. You NEED to have scapular and shoulder stability as well as proper spinal and hip placement/alignment to do ANY kettlebell movement. A great movement to learn all of these things is the Turkish Get-Up. Going over and mastering the "Arm bar" movement first, before ever attempting getting off the ground is the wise thing to do. How are your bridges? Single Leg Bridges? Planks? Out of curiosity...
  • Bodhizephyr
    Options
    I have the 16kg one. Mine came with a poster showing lots of different exercises. Kettlebell swings work the most muscles - especially the core.

I do 20 reps 3 times per week. and 3 sets of 5 deadlifts from 2 positions. Position A kettlebell on the floor between your feet - EYES FORWARD. Position B kettlebell on floor between your feet but more back (Not a great description!)

Foot
    A
    Foot

Foot
    B
    Foot

does that help?
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    A great movement to learn all of these things is the Turkish Get-Up. Going over and mastering the "Arm bar" movement first, before ever attempting getting off the ground is the wise thing to do.

Strongly agree. A great kettlebell exercise. Another favorite of mine is Goblet Squats.

Under exercise, record it as strength training under cardiovascular. 16kg (35lbs) would qualify for resistance training. Something much less like 5lbs I'd record under say calisthenics (for a guy). As to amount of calories, it really depends on so many variables (like type of kettlebelle exercises) that you may want to utilize a HRM despite their inaccuracies.

Under strength training, there's no specific kettlebell exercises available so I suggest you create your own if you wanted to track your performance over a period of time.
  • rob314
    rob314 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much guys, i'll look into grabbing one of the dvds!