No Weight Loss in First Week of Carb Cycling - Food Diary Open to View

Options
Last week was the first week that I have seriously been dieting. We are doing carb cycling and I have kept my calories under almost every single day with the exception of a few. On the diet we get a cheat day (Saturday) so I just stopped logging that day, nothing crazy but knew I would go over so decided not to waste my time. I have been drinking plenty of water, keeping carbs super low, eating lots of protein and of course keeping calories lower than what MFP suggests. But in my first week of doing this... my weight has stayed the same (even gone up but luckily came back down :( )

Can someone send suggestions? My food diary is open to view.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• samanthamel6
    samanthamel6 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I will fill it out this Saturday - but I want to say that I only went over by 300-400 calories. I only splurged for dinner :( Would that little amount undo my whole week?
  • samanthamel6
    Options
    I should also say that I am 5'11 female. Weigh 163 with a goal weight of 155.
  • samanthamel6
    Options
    Okay, definitely doing that for tomorrow then! Does my food diary look okay? Anything I should be doing different?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    One week doesn't mean anything.

Also carb cycling is unnecessary, and what happens is that you gain water weight after the day you eat more carbs anyway, so you won't see a loss on the scale.
  • samanthamel6
    Options
    I know 1 week isn't long - but after doing SO good for a week (honestly I don't know that I've ever done this good) I'm getting impatient seeing ZERO results :neutral: My back is injured so I am unable to go to the gym like I used to (or even go on long walks) so I am trying to do what I can.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I know 1 week isn't long - but after doing SO good for a week (honestly I don't know that I've ever done this good) I'm getting impatient seeing ZERO results :neutral: My back is injured so I am unable to go to the gym like I used to (or even go on long walks) so I am trying to do what I can.

I might have it wrong, but my impression of carb cycling is that you generally eat at a lower carb level and add the carbs back in around your work outs? That being the case, and you not being able to work out as much and you would like, I'd question whether carb cycling was suitable for you. Where/when are you adding the carbs in?
  • samanthamel6
    Options
    Typically, how long should I wait before seeing results? I normally loose much faster but maybe now that's slowed down? I am 27.
  • samanthamel6
    Options
    From what I've read it can be for anyone. You have 2 low carb days (only a small carb for breakfast), followed by a "high" carb day where you have only a fist full of carbs for your meals (so still very little carbs). People seem to have a lot of success with it (even friends that don't work out). But maybe you're right about that and I missed that! My husband is doing it as well and works out 4 days a week and has also stayed the exact same lol - what is going on with us?

I might have it wrong, but my impression of carb cycling is that you generally eat at a lower carb level and add the carbs back in around your work outs? That being the case, and you not being able to work out as much and you would like, I'd question whether carb cycling was suitable for you. Where/when are you adding the carbs in?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,529 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You need to weigh your food on a food scale and use appropriate data base entries. Considering you have so little to lose you have no room for error. I only looked at yesterday.

How much is a cup of spinach? Is the spinach pressed into the cup or lightly piled into?
    How much exactly is one serving of the chocolate powder? To the rim or somewhere 3/4 of the cup?
    Does each tilapia filet of this brand have exactly the same weight?
    How large was the avocado in the database of which you logged a half?

All those things add up to uncertainly if you don't weigh your food in grams on a kitchen scale and select correct database entries?
  • samanthamel6
    Options
    Thank you so much yirara those are some really good points! I need to pull out my food scale and try doing that. Those different weights can definitely make the difference - I never thought about that!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    Let's say you started to learn an instrument of your choice this week. Would you expect to play a full piece of music perfectly the next?
    And how low is your deficit? If you don't have much to lose and are shooting for 2lbs a week, your deficit may be too high.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Last week was the first week that I have seriously been dieting. We are doing carb cycling and I have kept my calories under almost every single day with the exception of a few. On the diet we get a cheat day (Saturday) so I just stopped logging that day, nothing crazy but knew I would go over so decided not to waste my time. I have been drinking plenty of water, keeping carbs super low, eating lots of protein and of course keeping calories lower than what MFP suggests. But in my first week of doing this... my weight has stayed the same (even gone up but luckily came back down :( )

Thanks so much!

A few days of eating over plus the cheat day could be enough to undue your deficit for the week, especially since you only started several days ago. Try doing a whole week where you stay within goal every single day.

Plus as others said, one week isn't very long and you may just need a little more time to see a drop.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Also, you are already within a healthy weight range for your height, so weight loss will be slow. One week is not nearly lng enough to assess diet effectiveness.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Thanks so much!

Samantha,

First of all, a week does not tell you anything at all. A month does, as do several months. Patience is a virtue.

Second of all, carb cycling is an eating plan choice only and has nothing to do with weight loss. Type of diet is irrelevant as to weight loss, but is relevant only to what works for you personally.

Third of all, watch out for those so called cheat days, they can kill a deficit quicker than anything, especially if you have little room for error. Eat real food and work treats into your calorie goals.

Finally, the only thing required to lose weight is a calorie deficit. How you get there is individual.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Okay, definitely doing that for tomorrow then! Does my food diary look okay? Anything I should be doing different?

It does not look okay. You need to weigh your solids and measure your liquids. You need to use correct entries in grams. Do your own research to ensure your information is correct-read packages and look foods up at the USDA website.

Also, you only have 8 pounds to lose? That's going to be pretty slow because it sounds like you are already at a normal weight.
  • _maryberry84
    _maryberry84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the comments, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating someone. What is your weight loss goal setting set at? I've found if my goal is 1 lb a week, even when I stick to it religiously for the full week, I don't magically see a pound gone in exactly 7 days. So my advice is to give it more time... keep up the hard work, get some exercise when you can, and in two or three weeks you'll likely see a pound or two lost. And, I've always found that losing any weight within 10 lbs of my goal has been entirely slow going! Keep with it.

Also, have you tried measuring your servings? I've had a LOT of success when I've been really careful with portion accuracy. I found a weight watchers scale on eBay and it changed everything! It takes a little longer to prep your meals and make recipes, but you really know how many calories you're taking in. Weight loss is essentially about calories in vs. calories out, and since determining how many calories we use throughout the day is very challenging, the easiest way to maintain control is by measuring your servings.

That's all I have to say. You're doing great! Keep up the hard work!
  • _maryberry84
    _maryberry84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    One more thing, I always log my cheats and I would give you friendly advice to do the same. It allows me to look at a week's nutrition and my over all calorie deficit, so there aren't any surprises/disappointments when I get on the scale.

And try looking at your measurements instead of just the scale. If you have a measuring tape handy, measure your waist, hips and any other problem area for you and chart them once a week right when you wake up. The scale can be very misleading! :)