No Gym or equipment, What progams to try

Options
Hey guys! So I am from New Jersey, but interning in California for the summer. Because I am working across the country I am unable to bring a car with me, so it will be very difficult for me to get to a gym to workout. Knowing this, my goal for the summer is to just maintain my body and possibly tone a bit. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for programs they have seen or tried in order to maintain or maybe even gain muscle at home, without the use of any equipment. Thank you all for your help!

Replies

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Convict Conditioning or other prisoner-type exercises.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2015/08/05/the-prisoner-workout/

Old school classics.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Also "You are Your Own Gym" is another one. Muscle building no, but you can do a lot with what muscle you already have doing a really good structured at home program.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    burpees, pushups and running.
  • p8ntmama
    p8ntmama Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My all time go to is Jari Love...she produces awesome home workout dvd programs and u can do with or without hand weights
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Also "You are Your Own Gym" is another one. Muscle building no, but you can do a lot with what muscle you already have doing a really good structured at home program.

+1 for YAYOG but I'd disagree. You can build muscle with body weight work outs. Just check out Al Kavadro - muscle gains on exclusively BW work outs. It's just a matter or progressive overload and the correct food.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    Depending on where in California you are, you might have plenty of options to exercise outside since the weather is quite lovely!

Check out online workouts: BeFit and RealFit have a lot of good videos on youtube, or https://www.fitnessblender.com/
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 831 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Also, have a look into suspension straps - TRX or equivalent. They hardly take up any space, so are portable, and very versatile.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If you have the internet there are plenty of YouTube videos. Blogilates, HASfit, and XHIT Daily are just a few. There are also workout videos on Hulu as well.

Personally I've always liked kickboxing like Tae Bo. If you have an Xbox with a Kinect you can get Just Dance and Zumba games.
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Taks a look at the body coach and HIIT
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Also disagree. I've built a lot of muscle with YAYOG.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I've not gone to the gym at all. Not having a car will mean you do lots of incidental exercise. I'm almost at goal and lost weight mostly by walking (Leslie sansone YouTube, easy) and running round the neighbourhood. Swimming so great for upper body and general toning. Watch your food intake too!
  • annamaple
    annamaple Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nike Training Club. It's a free app with a ton of workouts based on your goals.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    If you have a laptop go to YouTube and Google Billy Blanks TaeBo fun, hard work, good results, free and no equipment needed.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    YouTube has so many workout videos! You could easily get a pair of dumbbells and do some circuit workouts. I like Jillian Michaels, Denise Austin, the Firm, and Kendall Hogan (just to name a few) and they can all be found on YouTube for free.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Use exercise videos on youtube, such as yoga. That's for free and can be done in your home.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ALL GOOD advice to use your NATIVE intelligence, and figure out how the INMATES do it, pull ups on an upended metal cot, hooking feet under bed rail for situps, lifting each other, lifting heavy water bottles..those guys in cells can do it, you can do it. Also remember Rocky the movie?...running up and down lots of cement steps can do it...punching out a side of beef, and much more, the motivated find a way.

And I had to crack up at a young lady who complained she lived in "the country" and had no gym so couldn't possibly do a workout...what have we become as Americans?
  • Lioness_007
    Lioness_007 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Climbing, hiking, bouldering.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    If you decide to go down the "You Are Your Own Gym" route it has a good (paid) app.

Makes things really easy.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    darebee.com
  • DangerouslyEli
    DangerouslyEli Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Popsugar Fitness on Youtube has loads of cardio workouts - they're very gender orientated towards women though, if that's something that bothers you.
    I also like Jake Mace, who does lots of Martial Arts and fitness training.