What to do first?

Options
TheBrock84
TheBrock84 Posts: 68 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Should I, Strength Train, First. Cardio, Second? or Cardio, First. Strength Train, Second?

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I do my strength training then cardio because to reverse it would leave me a bit weaker when I go to lift
  • mwurtzberger
    mwurtzberger Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    How much cardio? I've read differing opinions on this everywhere. I've even read that you can just lift and depending how much lifting you do, you don't need cardio (see 5x5 workouts).

IMHO, as long as you are doing something and doing it consistently, you'll be fine!
  • TheBrock84
    Options
    That's what my Trainer, highly recommended. I tried doing Cardio, first. Then, Strength Training, last. It got me Fatigued.
    urloved33 wrote: »
    I do my strength training then cardio because to reverse it would leave me a bit weaker when I go to lift

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    This is what I do.
    1. 4 days a week I do cardio. Cardio is for burning through calories. I do it early in the morning so I'm in "fasting" mode and continue that fast for about 2.5 hours.
    2. 2 days a week I lift. Since I'm eating at a calorie deficit, lifting gives my body a reason to maintain the muscle and use the fat.
    Once in maintenance mode (LONG way from here) I'll probably split 3 days cardio, 3 days lift.
    I'm down about 16lbs in 6 weeks.
  • chewyxrage
    chewyxrage Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've always done cardio after lifting due to the fatigue factor. I'm much stronger before I exhaust myself doing cardio.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Same here.

But, I've also been told to do cardio first then strength training, which does not work for my energy level.
  • TheBrock84
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Same here.

But, I've also been told to do cardio first then strength training, which does not work for my energy level.

Me, too. It doesn't work. Strength Training before Cardio is the way!!!
  • dbhuff369
    dbhuff369 Posts: 17 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Depends on goals: if losing/cutting, or strength is key goal, then lift first, I think heavy lifting is better for losing so prioritize that. If training for marathon, cardio first. You want to have the most in the tank for whatever is most important. Even better, separate them during the day and get the most out of both. Fasted training can then be done for both with careful meal planning (4-6 hrs without food is enough) if cutting. One more thing, lifting heavy when tired is a good way to get hurt or at least degraded form, so if you cardio first, keep the weights lighter and do higher reps.

As for how much cardio, I do 2x30 min HIIT/wk in normal mode, up that to 3-4x 30min HIIT when cutting. Too much cardio degrades lifting performance and body comp (again, a little dependent on goals.)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If the primary goal is to increase aerobic endurance or lose body fat, perhaps do cardio first.

If the primary goal is to increase muscular strength, strength training first.

Perform the exercise that is most important to your goals first, when you are not going to figued.

I actually separate the cardio from strength by 4 hours on the same day.. but this meets my certain goals.