Gonna have withdrawl symptoms from exercise

Options
My husband is taking our 2+half year old to Portugal for 10days at the end of July to spend time with my husbands family who are originally from Portugal.

THis means I will be at home (Ireland) with our 1+half year old daughter. I won't be able to do ANY exercise for 10 days!!!!! I am not happy about this at all. I always go to the gym, walk or spin after the kids go to bed, my husband stays at home with the kids. I do this 4/5 nights a week.

I might be able to squeeze in the gym twice in the 10 days as I finish work a bit earlier on a friday. I've no one close to me who can sit in the house while I toddle off to the gym.

It's gonna kill me :-(

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Any chance you can put 1 year old in a stroller or back pack and walk?
  • acaudill042106
    acaudill042106 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm at home with 3...by myself..all.the.time. My hubby is a conductor(yeah, like on a train) and is on call 7 days a week. Try 30 day shred. It helps me get my workout in. Or try walks with the baby ....strolling a baby for a couple hours burns calories and will be fun for the baby too.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ExerciseTV.com and Hulu.com are a couple of websites that stream fitness videos. I know this is not your usual thing - but maybe you could sneak a workout in while your little one is down for a nap.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Try a workout DVD that you can do after she goes to bed, or do calisthenics and weight-bearing exercises (jumping jacks, sit-ups, push-ups, that sort of thing) that don't require anything. Try lifting your daughter in the air a few times - kids make a great bench press and they love getting to "play" with mom. You can fit your exercise into shorter bits throughout the day, too, and the calories will accumulate.
  • shawtsy
    shawtsy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a 16 month old as well and I do everything at home or outside as a gym is out of the question for me. I know the hassle of trying to fit one in :) Is it possible to do an exercise DVD during her nap (on the weekends) or after bed. It doesn't have to be pounding/jumping if you live in an apartment. You can do pilates or low-impact/dancing for less than hr. Get a pair of weights and do strength training. You can do crunches anywhere as well. I also take my daughter outside for walks/jogs in the evening. If it isn't quite the same intensity, do what you can do, and just be more careful on your food intake. You can do it :)
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    My only working out is at home with my kids (7 and 2)--I don't have anyone to watch them either. I go for a walk with them in the morning and then either do exercise videos, the Wii, or just crunches and such. I know it's not the same as what you are used to, but at least you could do something.
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Good ideas. I will check them out.

I work mon-fri and I usually take one of the kids for a walk at the weekend in the buggy so I can take missA for a walk and burn some calories. I'm just soooo used to get out for a proper, sweaty workout, I'm going to miss it. Only for 10days though. Better not eat crap for that time. Don't want to see the scales going the other way!
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You can burn just as much doing less intense exercise - it just takes longer. Take walking vs.running. Say you can burn 400 calories running three miles, or 400 calories walking the same distance. The only difference is the speed. One of my biggest calorie burn days were when I took my daughter for a walk on a nature trail and we walked at her pace, around 2.5 MPH. We did that for three hours and I burned more claories than an hour on the elliptical. I totally understand missing the rush of a good workout, but don't despair - there are other ways you can still get a good calorie burn on.