Calories not added when lifting weights??

Options
When I add exercise, strength training none of the bench presses or squats show any calories burned. When you do resistance and weight training you burn more calories than cardio but it's not calculating it into my daily diary!!! This doesn't make the program seem very accurate

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Search for strength training under cardio to get an estimate of calories burned. You don't burn more calories, btw.
  • 44blitzen
    44blitzen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How can you get these calories burned to show up in your calorie calculation. Every time I add an exercise it shows 0 calories.
  • jmaidan
    jmaidan Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yeah you don't really burn much calories in weight training unfortunately... otherwise I would be ripped :smiley:
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    When you do resistance and weight training you burn more calories than cardio but it's not calculating it into my daily diary!!!

I can't imagine what tomfoolery has made you think that is true, you are literally the first and only person I've come across who thinks this.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    When you do resistance and weight training you burn more calories than cardio but it's not calculating it into my daily diary!!!

I can't imagine what tomfoolery has made you think that is true, you are literally the first and only person I've come across who thinks this.

I really need to start working the word "tomfoolery" into more conversations.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options

I really need to start working the word "tomfoolery" into more conversations.

I also enjoy using "foolywang"
  • uthinkuknowme
    uthinkuknowme Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to Harvard Medical School listing how many calories one burns by exercise, based on three different weight levels. Lifting weights is at the bottom of the scale.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Calories-burned-in-30-minutes-of-leisure-and-routine-activities.htm

For example, a 185-pound person will burn an estimated 133 calories in a half-hour of weight lifting. Yoga would burn 178. Of course, a lot of that depends on the intensity of the workout (ie. lifting heavy over lifting light).

Whether lifting is a great calorie burner running depends on which study you believe. The internets is full of conflicting opinions. For example, here's a report from Runner's World on a study from Arizona State University -
    http://www.runnersworld.com/newswire/strength-training-may-burn-more-calories-than-previously-thought
    In their experiment, the Arizona State researchers used two different equations to calculate the calorie burn of push-ups, curl-ups, lunges, and pull-ups: a traditional calculation and a newer one, more appropriate to anaerobic efforts. The calorie-burn differences were dramatic.

The calorie burn for push-ups, for example, increased from 4.1 calories per minute to 8.56 calories per minute. Curl-ups increased from 4.09 calories per minute to 7.29; lunges from 5.28 calories per minute to 9.33; and pull-ups from 4.03 calories per minute to 9.95.
  • RanaSimon
    RanaSimon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this for a long time! uthinkuknowme has it right, you can and do burn calories during a workout, but it varies so much between individuals, I suspect MFP just hasn't been able to create an accurate calculator, or just hasn't bothered.

This one I find to be pretty accurate. It's a long list, but it's worth it to use. https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    As stated, if you want a guess enter "strength training" into the cardio section, but yea, you don't burn much.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options

This is actually true, to an extent. It all depends on how much cardio you're doing compared to the intensity of resistance training and muscle growth. You can burn more calories (over time) with strength training than you can with cardio. You can only do so much cardio and you only burn calories as you do it. Strength training causes muscle damage and follow on repair that is a continuous process throughout the day. In the end, strength training grows muscle and raises your resting energy consumption, especially if combined with a cardio program. I don't think OP was saying that a given resistance workout burns more calories than a cardio workout, just that it burns more energy (calories) over time. I got what OP was saying.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Lifting by itself doesn't really burn much. You can enter it under cardio and it'll give you a 'guesstimate'. Just don't expect to eat all of those calories back and not gain weight, it's really minimal. There's other things you can do though, you can do bodyweight stuff and enter that under cardio, call it cross-fit or cross training, etc. For instance; in the mornings I do cardio on my machine for 30 minutes. After that I rest very little, and while my heart rate is higher still, I start in on bodyweight exercises and log it under cross-fit or cross training. Over a 30 minute period that way I can keep my heart rate between 110-120 doing things like push ups, chin ups, sit ups, squats, crunches, etc. if I don't rest too much between switching exercises (or not at all if I'm going from muscle group to muscle group). That way I can burn more calories for that block of time. But lifting, by itself, just doesn't burn anything worth logging unless you keep your heart rate elevated enough. It can be done, but you would need a HR strap to be accurate, then you would need to figure on that block of time being over-inflated on calories. Weight training in itself is usually used for fitness and strength gains, not calorie burns. My opinion anyway.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The strength training section is for TRACKING purposes. So you can track your improvements. If you want the calories log it under cardio as strength training but be aware the calories are probably way higher than you're actually burning.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with weight training in itself is usually used for fitness, muscle/strength gainz and does not burn many calories.. but it does burn some and it does depend on the individual.

Some use the 100 - 150 calories per hour. I will eat back what I feel I need to to create energy balance or stay within the amount of calories I need based on my goal.

Certain ways to work out like circuit training can be "cardio like" and burn more calories, but the Lift/Pause/Rest/Lift next set, cannot be accurately gauged from person to person.
  • deztined
    deztined Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The one thing I do know for sure... is the more muscle you have, the faster you will burn fat.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    When I add exercise, strength training none of the bench presses or squats show any calories burned. When you do resistance and weight training you burn more calories than cardio but it's not calculating it into my daily diary!!! This doesn't make the program seem very accurate

Inaccurate.