Running Solo

Options
I run alone in a park, it's safe, I'm safe and if I'm wrong well I've got a 75lb pitt mix running with me who looks pretty tough. The problem is...this guy where I run follows me. I'm doing C25K and I'm doing 2days of whatever day I'm on and I end with W1/D1. I say this because I'm running at funny and seemingly inconsistant intervals and he's always a few paces behind me. Even when I refill my water bottle he's kind of lurking. I've tried talking to him hoping it was just a working up the nerve to talk to me thing, and it's not, and he's just there...suggestions on how to drop the guy? I can't run much later than I do because I wake up early to catch a bus and commute to work and I can't go in the morning because...I absolutely won't be able to kick my butt out of bed earlier than I do. Suggestion on how to get him to disapear? It's not even like I'm hot yet! I'm just a bit creeped out...

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Run somewhere else for awhile, confront him and ask him to stop following you, bring a big bulky male friend a couple times...
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    If there's a guy showing up and following you, you aren't safe. Find someplace else to run. Better safe than sorry.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    you should be creeped out--dont go there--call the cops and have them follow you for one of your runs--get a buddy-preferably male to go with you--run somewhere else--ANYTHING--but that story is really creepy.
  • emperatrix
    emperatrix Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That does sound creepy. I have had a few weird lurker moments while out running, but never the same person more than once. I can't offer much advice as far as shaking him off, but keep your phone on you and make sure you're visible to others while running. I'm sure the dog helps too :). Good luck!
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Randomly stop to 'do up a shoelace' so that he has no option but to pass you. If he doesn't then confront him and tell him to back off. If he does, let him build up a lead and carry on. If he is genuinely being creepy then sick the dog on him (sorry - I meant call the police!)
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    Creeper! I would run somewhere else, or find a running partner.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    ooo, scary. Pit bull or not I would definitely run somewhere else.
  • grumpyswife123
    Options
    Sounds creepy, be very careful. Is there a high school nearby that you can run the track instead?
    Be safe!!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    You could just ask if he likes the view.... maybe he really does like you??? Or bring any friend. If you're not alone maybe he won't be so apt to follow. I'm glad you have the dog, at least that's a little safety net for you!!!
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I did not get a sense of how long you run ( minutes) nor how long he "lurks". FWIW - next time - let him do his usual. As you run and notice he is behind you ...STOP....turn around..plant your feet firmly on the ground with your 75 lb pitt bullmix slightly in front of you ...look him in the eyes and very sternly ask him ...what he is doing following you and state he makes you uncomfortable. Be safe and do this in a very open area . It does sound creepy. Perhaps communicating "head on" will make him go away . If not - take a running buddy with you next time. First and foremost - be safe!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I would try somewhere else or a different day.
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    scary. you need a 130 lb Rottweiler.... then he will NOT come anywhere near you. when I have my dog weirdos cross the street as soon as they catch sight of us. my dog is huge. and she WILL attack + kill lol shes very protective of me. I'm definately safe with her. pitbulls aren't guard dogs, they're friendly dogs
  • LizaMena
    LizaMena Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Definitely NOT safe! Same advice everyone else is giving...run somewhere else!
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Call your local police station, explain to them the situation, and ask if there are any officers willing to do a few off-duty runs with you.
    If he's stopping when you're stopping, then that's a little creepy. If he were to pass by and smile and say "hello" or flirt real quick, and then keep on running, I could call it a crush.
    But if he's running behind you, following exactly what you do, that's weird. That's stalker-ish.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    There's a reason your Creeper Alarm is going off. Find somewhere else to run, and don't be so predictable for a while.
  • muffindowd
    muffindowd Posts: 55
    Options
    This sounds like the beginning of a Law and Order episode. I would be so creeped out!! I would seriously confront him with a big-man-friend in tow and call the cops if he doesn't leave you alone!!
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i would run somewhere else. if you don't have anywhere else i'd find a friend... male... and preferably a bigger guy. buy some pepper spray, and always take your dog with you...
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Considering you are also in the NoVa area...there are tons of parks that you could try running at...other option there are tons of running groups around here (plus Tri teams and adventure racing teams)...
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Call your local police station, explain to them the situation, and ask if there are any officers willing to do a few off-duty runs with you.
    If he's stopping when you're stopping, then that's a little creepy. If he were to pass by and smile and say "hello" or flirt real quick, and then keep on running, I could call it a crush.
    But if he's running behind you, following exactly what you do, that's weird. That's stalker-ish.

or this. i'm sure you can find someone. maybe even try going to a military recruit place and ask if they have a male that would run with you. i know there are ton's of recruit stations in my town.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Randomly stop to 'do up a shoelace' so that he has no option but to pass you. If he doesn't then confront him and tell him to back off. If he does, let him build up a lead and carry on. If he is genuinely being creepy then sick the dog on him (sorry - I meant call the police!)

Ummm... Confronting him like this is probably not a safe idea. He doesn't sound exactly all together to begin with.