do you burn more in the sun?

Options
...I'm wondering, do you burn more calories doing the same exercise (like a 3 mile walk) sweating in the hot sun as you would normally?

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I really don't know. I would suspect you do. It would be nice if someone had the answer. You will dehydrate more, so it may seem you are losing weight when you are really just losing essential water and electrolytes.
  • Sarcastic1
    Sarcastic1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Not sure, would also love to know if mowing the lawn, in the hot sun, in a very very hilly area, when only one back wheel is propelling and the other constantly freezes up (thereby negating any forward movement attempted by the first), burns more calories than the very vague "mowing, general" tab under cardio. Sorry, just a vent mostly. I hate my lawnmower.
  • jojogo1111
    jojogo1111 Posts: 30
    Options
    I try to wear my heart rate monitor anytime I do a workout so I know exactly how many calories I burn. I noticed that my heart rate is higher when I run outside when it's 90 degrees compared to when it's only 65 degrees outside. Therefore, I do burn more calories when the weather is hot because my heart rate is higher and stays higher.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I did a quick google search and this is the first result that came up http://www.healthandfitness.com/advice/burn_fat.asp I have no idea how accurate it is. I know I am more tired after a day at the beach (or outside at all) in the summer than the spring and fall. The same goes for the winter when I go cross country skiing.
  • vintagefool
    Options
    I have no idea, but I'm sure hoping you do. Whenever I have to walk for more than 5 minutes outside I start sweating like a pig :grumble: Summer is never kind to me.