How to Cut Carbs

Options
thedreamhazer
thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
I just read an enlightening article about the somatotypes and appropriate dieting. I am an endo mesomorph -- I've always been a natural athlete, but I do have a tendency to put on fat easily.
From what I've been reading, fat loss for endomorph is best achieved with 40-40-20 macros (protein-carbs-fat). When I input these macros in my goals and reviewed my diary ... yikes! I am WAY over on carbs and WAY under on protein and fat.

So, I'm going to make changes and see what happens. Problem is, I don't really know how to cook meals with fewer carbs. I don't eat a lot of meat, and my meals tend to focus on using rice or pasta (brown rice or whole wheat pasta, always) to provide the bulk of the food.

What do you recommend to cut back on carbs? Do you have suggestions for pasta/rice-like food that isn't so carb-y? Or is it truly just a matter of reportioning the dinner plate?

Replies

• jjclem07
    jjclem07 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I put on weight quick when I eat carbs...I have turned to Miricle Noodle and Nooodles for my pasta. Read up on them. They smell like they came form the ground, but yummy when topped off nice!!!
  • ambreee
    ambreee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have used spheghetti squash instead of noodles. I have also substituted mashed cauliflower for mashed potatoes. I also gain weight when I eat a lot of carbs, and it hashes my blood sugar as well (I am hypoglycemic).
  • murphysraven
    Options
    I would say just try to cut back on the portions of your carb heavy meals. Once I started measuring out 3/4 of a cup of my carb/starch I realized I'd been taking too large of portions before. I try to use 3/4 - 1 cup portion size for all my carbs and starches.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I wanna see the article. I'm curious.
  • RyeLite
    RyeLite Posts: 17
    Options
    I think MyFitnessPal has the Macronutires a little screwey. I customized mine to 35% protien 40% Carb 25% Fat. But this is to Gain Muscle.
    To loose Fat, i think the best ratio is 50% Protien 30% Fat 20% carb...eating the carbs early in the day, cutting them out at night, unless they are green veggies...
  • sagisun1969
    Options
    Since you don't eat meat, I would suggest eating long grain brown rice. A serving of long grain brown rice is only 1/4 cup. Brown rice is a complex carb so it doesn't turn to fat so easily because it takes longer to break down. Cheese has protien in it too.
    I agree with jjcem07 - Miracle Noodles are amazing! You can make any asian noodle dish with them.....and practically guilt free!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I just read an enlightening article about the somatotypes and appropriate dieting. I am an endo mesomorph -- I've always been a natural athlete, but I do have a tendency to put on fat easily.
    From what I've been reading, fat loss for endomorph is best achieved with 40-40-20 macros (protein-carbs-fat). When I input these macros in my goals and reviewed my diary ... yikes! I am WAY over on carbs and WAY under on protein and fat.

So, I'm going to make changes and see what happens. Problem is, I don't really know how to cook meals with fewer carbs. I don't eat a lot of meat, and my meals tend to focus on using rice or pasta (brown rice or whole wheat pasta, always) to provide the bulk of the food.

What do you recommend to cut back on carbs? Do you have suggestions for pasta/rice-like food that isn't so carb-y? Or is it truly just a matter of reportioning the dinner plate?

See if you can Google a diet strategy called, The Anabolic Diet by Dr. Pasquale. It's one of the better plans that I've seen and so far has been successful for me. I'm the same way, I eat carbs and I seem to roll on layers of fat like I was insulating my belly or something.

I don't know how to avoid eating meat... I try and focus on chicken, fish, and turkey cutlets for meat sources, eggs, and then I use Olive Oil for a good healthy fat source. I try and stay away from low-fat for the most part because it usually replaces the fat with carbs. Cottage cheese can be good, some good nuts like Walnuts but even nuts can be higher in carbs.

My food diary should be open if you want to look at this week and last week, I don't really log on the weekends right now but if you read the diet strategy you'll see why. Good luck!
  • mgravy
    mgravy Posts: 47
    Options
    I had to majorly cut down on my carbs since May when I was diagnosed with insulin resistance and PCOS. I used to cook meals the same way--tons of pasta and rice! I thought it was going to be hell, but you get used to it pretty fast.

Eating smaller portion sizes really helps. I really enjoy making stir-fries with tofu Shiritake noodles or Miracle Noodles. And instead of basing the majority of my meals around pasta or rice, I eat salads like crazy.
  • margnutt
    margnutt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You should try quinoi. You can cook it just like rice (be sure to rinse it before you cook it or it tastes bitter), and add pretty much anything you want to it. It has a higher protein count than rice or pasta, and it tastes good. I found mine in the bulk food aisle at my grocery store.
  • AquaAura
    AquaAura Posts: 105
    Options
    I'm glad I read this post today I needed too :D ... I've read too that 40 carbs 40 protein and 20 fat is optimin for weight loss. Would like to read the article you read too ..
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Not really an article, but here's one of the sites I went to that I found really helpful: http://www.burnthefat.com/endomorph_body_type.html
  • whodatgrl
    whodatgrl Posts: 111
    Options
    article sounds interesting, can we check it out online