Vegan protein sources?

Options
I am a vegetarian and am transitioning into a vegan diet, but I find it rather difficult to get more than 30-40 grams of protein, and seeing as I'm young I really could use some more protein.
Any vegans have food suggestions, other than the obvious tofu?
Also, it would be helpful if they didn't have a lot of calories as is with nuts and nut butters.
Thanks in advance every one!

Replies

• evesacks
    evesacks Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    hemp protein powder added to food?
  • wan2b21
    wan2b21 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Soy Protein Powder =)
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    beans
  • katq33
    katq33 Posts: 1
    Options
    Almond vanilla protein powder at Whole Foods. Great in smoothies!
  • Kim_SFB
    Kim_SFB Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    but, Nuts are a GOOD Fat. Eat Beans for protein or Boca Vegan burgers. Steel Cut Oatmeal apparently has a decent amount of protein.

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm
  • Katone86
    Katone86 Posts: 15
    Options
    Tempeh,chia seeds,setian,beans,flax seed,tofu,soy beans,cashews,peanuts,walnuts,(any type of nut really)
  • Katone86
    Options
    Ive been vegan for a while transitioning to raw if you buy patties make sure that they're certified vegan and not vegetarian. Look for black bean patties they're yummy and high in protein.
  • skinnyjeansprettyteen
    Options
    Nuts, seeds, beans, protein powder but try to keep it as natural as possible.
  • chris6515
    chris6515 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    "Ive been vegan for a while transitioning to raw if you buy patties make sure that they're certified vegan and not vegetarian. Look for black bean patties they're yummy and high in protein. "

I would agree. My daughter is vegan; I am not but I love these black bean patties!
  • babs23
    babs23 Posts: 86
    Options
    Beans, beans, beans, legumes and grains. Search google for a list of protein sources for vegans. There are a ton of resources out there. Once you get it down, you'll reach your protein goals without even trying. :)

I was vegan for a while, but my husband is so extremely carnivorous that it became a constant source of unneeded tension. So, I'm best described as a "flexitarian" at this point. :)

Honestly, I stay away from soy products. Soybeans are the most genetically modified crop on the planet. Just say no to GMO's!
  • Katone86
    Options
    I agree about the soy they also increase your estrogen levels which would be more of a red flag if you're a man but I still don't think its a good thing.
  • Katone86
    Options
    I love them too! :)
  • colortheplanet
    Options
    Hmm that's interesting, because I'm pretty sure my estrogen levels are extremely low, but I'll be going to a doctor in about a month to see if all my chemical levels and such are good.

Thanks everyone so far for your ideas!