5'2 daily calories

Options
I have a question. For those who are 5'2-5'0, how many calories do you normally consume for weight loss or maintaining? I'm 5'2, 19, and not exactly sure how many I need for maintaining and weight loss. 1500? I want my weight to basically stay the same, or go up and down. I want to lose a few more pounds but also maintain but I don't know exactly how much I need. I workout 1.5 hours daily now since I cut my exercise a bit because it's making me gain and making me weak.

Replies

• ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and eat 1390 to lose. I can maintain my weight on about 1700.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how fast you want to lose it. My wife is 5'2" and she stays around 1450, but she's set I think at 1lb a week loss. I think MFP will probably set you around 1250ish if you set it at 2lb/wk loss. Many people set themselves at the max/wk loss right off the bat and fail, I'd take it a little easier and go with 1lb a week and see how that works out.
  • Indygirl_81
    Indygirl_81 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    5'2 here.... right now I am losing at 1300 but eat 100-200 back in exercise. I didn't lose when I ate 500 back in exercise, so.... anyway, I think it also matters how much you weigh right now.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    5'2", 45 y/o, and maintain on 1950-2100 depending on exercise.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    5'3" - I try to net 1300 per day on MFP - that means I eat about 1,500 on a non-workout day, and up to 2,000 on a workout day. At net 1,300 I lose about 1 pound per week.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    1200 with no exercise for 1 pounds a week...it depends on your current weight too.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1450 on a non-exercise day. When I do exercise, I eat back about 50-75% of my exercise calories, just to account for discrepancies in counting calories consumed and/or estimates of calories burned.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If you use the Basal Metabolic Rate Calculator here http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ , and I assume you're 115 lbs. You need about 1358 Calories just for your body to function. Then what you do is multiple that by
    •If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    •If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    •If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    •If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    •If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

So if you you are lightly active and want to stay at the same weight, it would look like this 1358 x 1.375 = 1867

If you want to change weight, you can use 3500 calories per pound of weight as a good estimate and so if you wanted to lose or gain 0.5 lbs per week you would add or subtract 250 Calories per day (3500/2/7). You can be over or under each day so long as your average is about right and you'll be fine.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    The amount you need to maintain and lose is all based on your stats, your activity level, and your targeted rate of loss. Why not just put your stats in MFP and it will calculate a deficit for you based on your goal? Then when you exercise, you should eat back about 50-75% of your calories. Track all the food you eat, ideally weighing with a food scale, and monitor for 8 weeks or so. If you are losing according to your goal then keep things where they are, if not, adjust accordingly.

For what it's worth I'm 5'2 and lost most of my weight with a net calorie goal of 1500 (was eating 1700-1800). I maintain now with a TDEE of about 2200.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    BlackPantherChick123 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I want to eat at least 1500 bc that seems the right about or at least 1200-1500 since I do workout a lot. I been having eating issues and want to change that. Say you overate one day, what u do the next day? Eat 1500 or restrict by a lot? I kinda overate today and plan to burn most of it off in the morning but how much should I eat throughout the next day bc I might get another workout in.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Look at your calories weekly. Some days you'll go over, sometimes under...it all averages out.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I'm just not sure if I should go straight for 1500 or restrict to like 1000 or less. Maybe 1000-1200. It's so hard trying to figure these things out.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Have you sought help from a therapist? Really sweetie? Your posting history is concerning <3
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    My family is helping me out but I fear of gaining weight but I want to lose and maintain at the same time. Basically allow my normal weight to stay the same or drop up and down but stay between 110-115 but idk how many calories I need to eat. So far for 2 weeks I been eating 700-800 because I thought I could lose weight quickly but it doesn't seem it wants to work after the first week and I hate diets because I'm at a low weight where I just want to eat what I use to enjoy but I'm afraid to. I love food but scared to eat it. 1500 seems perfect for me but I'm not sure if I should eat that much or not. If I do, will I gain weight or will I just go up and down? I avoid the scales as much as possible but last I checked I was 114 and I want to stay within that amount.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Your family is helping? With getting you professional help?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    My family is helping me out but I fear of gaining weight but I want to lose and maintain at the same time. Basically allow my normal weight to stay the same or drop up and down but stay between 110-115 but idk how many calories I need to eat. So far for 2 weeks I been eating 700-800 because I thought I could lose weight quickly but it doesn't seem it wants to work after the first week and I hate diets because I'm at a low weight where I just want to eat what I use to enjoy but I'm afraid to. I love food but scared to eat it. 1500 seems perfect for me but I'm not sure if I should eat that much or not. If I do, will I gain weight or will I just go up and down? I avoid the scales as much as possible but last I checked I was 114 and I want to stay within that amount.

You really should seek help from a professional. You say you want to do this in a healthy way but you are afraid to eat a calorie level which would probably still be a deficit based on how much you exercise...
  • LittleSharrie
    LittleSharrie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    dlkfox wrote: »
    I am 5'2" and find this calculator is very accurate.
    http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

Yay thank you, this confirmed my MFP's calculations of averaging 1400. I'm losing and feeling good B)
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm just not sure if I should go straight for 1500 or restrict to like 1000 or less. Maybe 1000-1200. It's so hard trying to figure these things out.

Absolutely do not restrict at those levels.

Please seek the help of a professional, a therapist, a doctor. <3
  • Elenatizzard1
    Elenatizzard1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft 2 and 20 years old. I eat 1200 calories a day to lose and I roughly lose 2 lbs a week. To stay the same I need roughly 1500-1600 calories.